User avatar
Feb 5th, '13, 18:42
Posts: 683
Joined: Mar 10th, '11
Location: on top of a mountain.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by gasninja » Feb 5th, '13, 18:42

I use a sesame duani pot for shou. I would stay away from aged Puerh for the reasons TJ mentioned as well as the size. Unless you are brewing for a larger group of people. To get the most out of your aged pu with a pot that size you are gonna need allot of leaf to maximize flavor. That can get expensive very fast with aged Puerh.
I do like the pot though looks good.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 18:10
Posts: 1406
Joined: Jul 21st, '10
Location: Oz

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by bagua7 » Feb 6th, '13, 18:10

Same here, I use duan ni pots for cooked puerh and they work great. If you season the pot long enough (several years of daily use) you could have a go with aged sheng...the problem is that size is too big for teas that are going to cost you a lot of money.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 21:13
Posts: 505
Joined: Oct 6th, '11
Location: Hong Kong, next China

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by needaTEAcher » Feb 6th, '13, 21:13

Pot stuffing isn't the only way to brew! I like to use a bigger pot and steep a little longer, with as little as 2g/100cc, stopping around the 5th to 9th steep. 4g in that 200cc pot is reasonable, and would serve three two or three people well. If you drink a lot by yourself, it could serve one person well. For teas older than 30 years, though, I do prefer a higher tea to water ratio.

I know folks who swear against duanni and shou but I personally like the combination, if it is good duanni (an good shou). And ditto about young sheng. I wouldn't pick past 15 or 20 years to brew in duanni, though it does really depend on the tea (a super dry-stored Bulang San tea might do well in a duanni pot, even at 20 years....idk).

That's very pretty clay Helio!

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 22:48
Vendor Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '06
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by TIM » Feb 6th, '13, 22:48

needaTEAcher wrote:Pot stuffing isn't the only way to brew! I like to use a bigger pot and steep a little longer, with as little as 2g/100cc, stopping around the 5th to 9th steep. 4g in that 200cc pot is reasonable, and would serve three two or three people well. If you drink a lot by yourself, it could serve one person well. For teas older than 30 years, though, I do prefer a higher tea to water ratio.

I know folks who swear against duanni and shou but I personally like the combination, if it is good duanni (an good shou). And ditto about young sheng. I wouldn't pick past 15 or 20 years to brew in duanni, though it does really depend on the tea (a super dry-stored Bulang San tea might do well in a duanni pot, even at 20 years....idk).

That's very pretty clay Helio!


How about 20 years needa?
Welcome back. The magic of Tea Chat ;)

User avatar
Feb 7th, '13, 10:09
Posts: 505
Joined: Oct 6th, '11
Location: Hong Kong, next China

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by needaTEAcher » Feb 7th, '13, 10:09

TIM wrote:
needaTEAcher wrote:Pot stuffing isn't the only way to brew! I like to use a bigger pot and steep a little longer, with as little as 2g/100cc, stopping around the 5th to 9th steep. 4g in that 200cc pot is reasonable, and would serve three two or three people well. If you drink a lot by yourself, it could serve one person well. For teas older than 30 years, though, I do prefer a higher tea to water ratio.

I know folks who swear against duanni and shou but I personally like the combination, if it is good duanni (an good shou). And ditto about young sheng. I wouldn't pick past 15 or 20 years to brew in duanni, though it does really depend on the tea (a super dry-stored Bulang San tea might do well in a duanni pot, even at 20 years....idk).

That's very pretty clay Helio!


How about 20 years needa?
Welcome back. The magic of Tea Chat ;)


Thanks, Tim.

20 years....case by case, depending on the tea!!!

User avatar
Feb 9th, '13, 04:11
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08
Location: Claremont,CA
Contact: Maitre_Tea

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Maitre_Tea » Feb 9th, '13, 04:11

So it pays to hang out with your grandfathers because I've scored six pots from them! :D

Clay: Hong Ni (I think, I've been out of the game too long to know any more). High fired though, it rings nicely but not in a crappy metallic way that those super fake pots sound like.
Size: 160 ml?
Age/Year: late 80s or early 90s. Not entirely sure
Walls: Thin
Source: Grandparent
Tea Pairing: Light Taiwanese Oolong
Info: So I apologize for the crappy quality of the pot...it's the camera phone's fault. What's strange about this particular pot is the chop...the guy messed up or something and decided to stamp it twice.
Attachments
20130209_104218.jpg
20130209_104218.jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
20130209_104130.jpg
20130209_104130.jpg (46.57 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

User avatar
Feb 9th, '13, 04:16
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08
Location: Claremont,CA
Contact: Maitre_Tea

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Maitre_Tea » Feb 9th, '13, 04:16

Clay: Zisha or Zini...um, it's purple clay. Medium fired
Size: 80 - 100 ml?
Age/Year: 80s
Walls: Medium
Source: Grandfather
Tea Pairing: A lot of options for this one, I need to do some testing once I get back home.
Info: I found this in the attic, and the spout is incredibly messed up. Half of the spout is missing (length-wise). Is there any way to fix this? Somehow wrap some tin or silver or whatever around it? Suggestions?
Attachments
2013-02-09 13.52.05.jpg
2013-02-09 13.52.05.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

User avatar
Feb 9th, '13, 04:22
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08
Location: Claremont,CA
Contact: Maitre_Tea

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Maitre_Tea » Feb 9th, '13, 04:22

Clay: Zi Sha or Zi Ni...um, purple clay
Size: 160 ml?
Age/Year: 90s (I think; there's a ball filter but it's definitely before the 00s)
Walls: Medium
Source: Grandfather
Tea Pairing: No idea, need to do some testing when I get back
Info: Found this in the attic without a lid...I need to fumble around and see if the lid is somewhere else. If not I'm thinking of making a return trip to Ying Ge and find a replacement lid. I know it won't be a perfect match in clay or color at least I can use it. I'm hoping that because it's a Shui Ping it'll be easier to find a replacement.
Attachments
2013-02-09 13.52.34.jpg
2013-02-09 13.52.34.jpg (45.25 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

User avatar
Feb 9th, '13, 10:16
Posts: 683
Joined: Mar 10th, '11
Location: on top of a mountain.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by gasninja » Feb 9th, '13, 10:16

Nice score maitre. MY grandfather drinks Lipton. So I doubt I will score any attic yixing from him.

User avatar
Feb 9th, '13, 23:49
Vendor Member
Posts: 4561
Joined: Apr 1st, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Tead Off » Feb 9th, '13, 23:49

Lucky you!!

User avatar
Feb 11th, '13, 09:47
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mar 15th, '06
Contact: MarshalN

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by MarshalN » Feb 11th, '13, 09:47

Maitre_Tea wrote:Clay: Zi Sha or Zi Ni...um, purple clay
Size: 160 ml?
Age/Year: 90s (I think; there's a ball filter but it's definitely before the 00s)
Walls: Medium
Source: Grandfather
Tea Pairing: No idea, need to do some testing when I get back
Info: Found this in the attic without a lid...I need to fumble around and see if the lid is somewhere else. If not I'm thinking of making a return trip to Ying Ge and find a replacement lid. I know it won't be a perfect match in clay or color at least I can use it. I'm hoping that because it's a Shui Ping it'll be easier to find a replacement.


Does the good lid go well with the good pot body? You might have a match, and that way you don't have to fret about fixing the spout.

User avatar
Feb 11th, '13, 10:54
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08
Location: Claremont,CA
Contact: Maitre_Tea

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Maitre_Tea » Feb 11th, '13, 10:54

MarshalN wrote:
Maitre_Tea wrote:Clay: Zi Sha or Zi Ni...um, purple clay
Size: 160 ml?
Age/Year: 90s (I think; there's a ball filter but it's definitely before the 00s)
Walls: Medium
Source: Grandfather
Tea Pairing: No idea, need to do some testing when I get back
Info: Found this in the attic without a lid...I need to fumble around and see if the lid is somewhere else. If not I'm thinking of making a return trip to Ying Ge and find a replacement lid. I know it won't be a perfect match in clay or color at least I can use it. I'm hoping that because it's a Shui Ping it'll be easier to find a replacement.


Does the good lid go well with the good pot body? You might have a match, and that way you don't have to fret about fixing the spout.


Unfortunately no. The good lid is a bit too small...I think I have another pot the roughly the same size so maybe I can use the same lid for both pots

User avatar
Feb 11th, '13, 10:57
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08
Location: Claremont,CA
Contact: Maitre_Tea

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Maitre_Tea » Feb 11th, '13, 10:57

On the pot with the chipped spout the clay on the inside is a lighter color than the clay on the outside. I remember what this meant a while ago, but have since forgotten.

User avatar
Feb 11th, '13, 11:12
Posts: 505
Joined: Oct 6th, '11
Location: Hong Kong, next China

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by needaTEAcher » Feb 11th, '13, 11:12

Maitre_Tea wrote:On the pot with the chipped spout the clay on the inside is a lighter color than the clay on the outside. I remember what this meant a while ago, but have since forgotten.


Do you mind showing us a pic?

User avatar
Feb 11th, '13, 22:33
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '08
Location: Claremont,CA
Contact: Maitre_Tea

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Maitre_Tea » Feb 11th, '13, 22:33

Here's a close up of the clay. Sorry if the quality is bad...it's from my camera phone.
Attachments
teapot.jpg
teapot.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

+ Post Reply