Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 02:38
Vendor Member
Posts: 610
Joined: Feb 5th, '10
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by blairswhitaker » Feb 6th, '13, 02:38

Chip wrote: I can only speak about their sencha, never had their Gyokuro.


I'm just the opposite, I have tried their gyo and matchas but never their senchas. I will get around it some time soon. My chado sensei was just saying she feels they are more famous in name than quality and she listed off a few other shops she finds to be superior, of course I didn't write them down and forget what they were called (she mentioned that none of them had websites so I am not sure you can actually order from them in the states). I will write some down next week.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 03:05
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22836
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by Chip » Feb 6th, '13, 03:05

blairswhitaker wrote:
Chip wrote: I can only speak about their sencha, never had their Gyokuro.


I'm just the opposite, I have tried their gyo and matchas but never their senchas. I will get around it some time soon. My chado sensei was just saying she feels they are more famous in name than quality and she listed off a few other shops she finds to be superior, of course I didn't write them down and forget what they were called (she mentioned that none of them had websites so I am not sure you can actually order from them in the states). I will write some down next week.

Likewise, I am going to try their Gyokuro. Just have not gotten around to it.

Hope to at least hear about some of the other shops even if their teas are "unobtainium."

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 03:25
Vendor Member
Posts: 610
Joined: Feb 5th, '10
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by blairswhitaker » Feb 6th, '13, 03:25

Chip wrote:
blairswhitaker wrote:
Chip wrote: I can only speak about their sencha, never had their Gyokuro.


I'm just the opposite, I have tried their gyo and matchas but never their senchas. I will get around it some time soon. My chado sensei was just saying she feels they are more famous in name than quality and she listed off a few other shops she finds to be superior, of course I didn't write them down and forget what they were called (she mentioned that none of them had websites so I am not sure you can actually order from them in the states). I will write some down next week.

Likewise, I am going to try their Gyokuro. Just have not gotten around to it.

Hope to at least hear about some of the other shops even if their teas are "unobtainium."


The tenka-ichi is very, very good, and a quick trip to Japan would result in the unobtainium tea, perhaps a future tea chat meet up destination.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 11:37
Posts: 399
Joined: Feb 24th, '09
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by rdl » Feb 6th, '13, 11:37

Chip wrote:Hope to at least hear about some of the other shops even if their teas are "unobtainium."

chip, i am also interested to know of other shops. here is one tea shop suggestion you or others may be interested in. highly recommended.
Marukyu-Koyamaen Uji
Nishinotoin Tea House Kyoto
http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 11:51
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22836
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by Chip » Feb 6th, '13, 11:51

Thanks.

I checked out the site numerous times. Here is the English version. http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp/english/top.html

Did Adam buy from here recently, or am I mixed up on the name?

Anyway, definitely on my radar.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 12:21
Posts: 399
Joined: Feb 24th, '09
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by rdl » Feb 6th, '13, 12:21

Chip wrote:Thanks.

I checked out the site numerous times. Here is the English version. http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp/english/top.html

Did Adam buy from here recently, or am I mixed up on the name?

Anyway, definitely on my radar.

i was at the tea house (modern interior with lots of traditional and contempory tea inspired desserts and other food) and purchased some sencha as well. one of the best kyoto style teas i have had to date. i am now trying to see if they sell overseas from their on line shop. waiting for a reply to the email i sent them.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 13:01
Posts: 714
Joined: Jan 9th, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by sherubtse » Feb 6th, '13, 13:01

rdl wrote:chip, i am also interested to know of other shops. here is one tea shop suggestion you or others may be interested in. highly recommended.
Marukyu-Koyamaen Uji
Nishinotoin Tea House Kyoto
http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp


Here is a place in Canada that sells their teas:

http://kono-en.com/teas/index.html

I have never ordered from them, though, so can't speak to the quality of the teas.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 13:06
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22836
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by Chip » Feb 6th, '13, 13:06

Chip wrote:Did Adam buy from here recently, or am I mixed up on the name?

... come to think of it, Adam purchased from Charaku ...

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 13:10
Vendor Member
Posts: 610
Joined: Feb 5th, '10
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by blairswhitaker » Feb 6th, '13, 13:10

rdl wrote:
Chip wrote:Hope to at least hear about some of the other shops even if their teas are "unobtainium."

chip, i am also interested to know of other shops. here is one tea shop suggestion you or others may be interested in. highly recommended.
Marukyu-Koyamaen Uji
Nishinotoin Tea House Kyoto
http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp


I really enjoy koyamaen matcha, they do not get much press here in the US but they are a premier shop. we use their matcha in chado a lot. Think I will have a bowl of some today!

Feb 6th, '13, 16:26
Posts: 364
Joined: Dec 29th, '09
Location: Nor Cal

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by NOESIS » Feb 6th, '13, 16:26

So I'm assuming that Adam and I are the only ones to take a chance on the budget friendly offerings? :lol:

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 16:55
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22836
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by Chip » Feb 6th, '13, 16:55

NOESIS wrote:So I'm assuming that Adam and I are the only ones to take a chance on the budget friendly offerings? :lol:

I may have ... but it would have been 5ish years ago. I may pick one to try when I get around to ordering from them.

blairswhitaker wrote:
rdl wrote:
Chip wrote:Hope to at least hear about some of the other shops even if their teas are "unobtainium."

chip, i am also interested to know of other shops. here is one tea shop suggestion you or others may be interested in. highly recommended.
Marukyu-Koyamaen Uji
Nishinotoin Tea House Kyoto
http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp


I really enjoy koyamaen matcha, they do not get much press here in the US but they are a premier shop. we use their matcha in chado a lot. Think I will have a bowl of some today!

Koyamaen is not on my "short list" of Japanese vendors, shops, etc. Looking for them on my "long list" now ... :mrgreen:

Feb 6th, '13, 17:37
Posts: 364
Joined: Dec 29th, '09
Location: Nor Cal

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by NOESIS » Feb 6th, '13, 17:37

I used to get matcha Zuisen no Shiro and Kiun from Koyamaen. Good stuff for sure, but not any better than Seiun or Ummon from Ippodo. Imho.

User avatar
Feb 6th, '13, 18:20
Posts: 2376
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by AdamMY » Feb 6th, '13, 18:20

Is this thread why my eyes have been itching all day? :lol: :lol:

I have not ordered from M-Koyamaen though I have browsed their website a few times.

User avatar
Feb 7th, '13, 13:23
Posts: 399
Joined: Feb 24th, '09
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by rdl » Feb 7th, '13, 13:23

Here is a place in Canada that sells their teas:
http://kono-en.com/teas/index.html
I have never ordered from them, though, so can't speak to the quality of the teas.
Best wishes,
sherubtse

thank you for the link sherubtse. it seems only their matcha is available in the US. i was more interested in their sencha. they do sell several modestly priced sencha in japan, but i don't know if any of these are available overseas.

Feb 7th, '13, 16:58
Posts: 364
Joined: Dec 29th, '09
Location: Nor Cal

Re: Ippodo's more modestly priced senchas

by NOESIS » Feb 7th, '13, 16:58

Also worth mentioning, a vendor with excellent mid priced sencha (and fabulous bancha and karigane) is Horaido. Old family friends, originally from Kyoto, always bring back an excellent stash of Horaido teas. They are very loyal to his tea shop, and for good reason. The teas are awesomely "traditional". :D

Unfortunately, I've never tried to order from Horaido directly (FAX your credit card info, no thanks), but have been lucky enough to be have some gifted to me every year. Speaking of which, I'm about open a pack of sencha Tokiwagi for my afternoon tea break. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply