User avatar
Feb 15th, '13, 21:16
Posts: 719
Joined: Feb 12th, '13
Location: South Bronx, NYC
Contact: futurebird

Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by futurebird » Feb 15th, '13, 21:16

I've been collecting images of teapots that seem strage to me, for fun, or silly. Here are the ones I have so far:

Image
Image
I wonder if you could fill two cups at once?

Image
This teapot is never facing the wrong way.


Image

I've seen a few of these, but this was the best image I can find. The lid of this teapot is a teapot. (update: here is another! http://www.etsy.com/listing/106637067/vintage-redware-chicken-teapot-triple?ref=exp_listing)

Image
This was on the cover of a famous book on design.


Image
Long distance pour. Maybe it cools the tea down? Or maybe it's just fun.


Image
here ^ is a means of sharing tea... (or water) with 4 spouts.


Three spouts: http://www.quinnkellogg.com/picture/img_00100.jpg?pictureId=5306945&asGalleryImage=true

Three bodies: http://dianepernet.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c76e453ef0153922d4e1c970b-550wi



Do you have any fanciful teapots that you have found? In a way, this reminds me of the tea pets that shoot water. Drinking tea isn't all about being serious. It can be fun. It should be fun. :P
Last edited by futurebird on Feb 16th, '13, 02:10, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Feb 15th, '13, 22:50
Posts: 1405
Joined: Jul 21st, '10
Location: Oz

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by bagua7 » Feb 15th, '13, 22:50

futurebird wrote:ImageLong distance pour. Maybe it cools the tea down? Or maybe it's just fun.


Popular in the touristy tea houses in Beijing.

User avatar
Feb 16th, '13, 13:10
Posts: 929
Joined: Mar 4th, '10
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Poohblah » Feb 16th, '13, 13:10

bagua7 wrote:
futurebird wrote:ImageLong distance pour. Maybe it cools the tea down? Or maybe it's just fun.


Popular in the touristy tea houses in Beijing.

And apparently in Southern China too. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17126

Feb 16th, '13, 13:18
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 9th, '12
Location: Seattle

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Exempt » Feb 16th, '13, 13:18

Here's a pretty cool video of a long pot performance http://www.teavivre.com/info/gongfu-tea-long-pot/

User avatar
Feb 17th, '13, 00:33
Posts: 1405
Joined: Jul 21st, '10
Location: Oz

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by bagua7 » Feb 17th, '13, 00:33

Yes, they use various postures borrowed from Taijiquan. :)

Here are some odd pots some might like owning:

Image

Winter dragon pot

Image

Turtle pot

Image

Hanging heart pot


Image

Whistling boy? :lol:

But I doubt the last two would attract any fanboys. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Feb 17th, '13, 12:47
Posts: 483
Joined: Jan 23rd, '07
Location: Philadelphia
Contact: Evan Draper

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Evan Draper » Feb 17th, '13, 12:47

Exempt wrote:Here's a pretty cool video of a long pot performance http://www.teavivre.com/info/gongfu-tea-long-pot/

LOL, read the comments!

User avatar
Feb 17th, '13, 12:51
Posts: 483
Joined: Jan 23rd, '07
Location: Philadelphia
Contact: Evan Draper

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Evan Draper » Feb 17th, '13, 12:51


User avatar
Feb 17th, '13, 16:06
Posts: 2376
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by AdamMY » Feb 17th, '13, 16:06



I think this teapot was created by someone that had their spout clog one too many times :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Feb 18th, '13, 04:11
Posts: 1422
Joined: Oct 5th, '09
Location: UK

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Alex » Feb 18th, '13, 04:11

Be good if only one spout works at a time. Every time you lay it down it randomly changes. LOL

User avatar
Feb 18th, '13, 09:55
Posts: 132
Joined: Feb 5th, '13
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Maneki Neko » Feb 18th, '13, 09:55

It's not a teapot but I hope it's OK if I place some fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly thing here... :wink:

My Maneki Neko cup/statue. You can find it at Mrs. Lin's Kitchen.

IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG (46.11 KiB) Viewed 2640 times

IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG (47.64 KiB) Viewed 2640 times

IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG (47.18 KiB) Viewed 2640 times

And here is its teapot counterpart :mrgreen: (which I don't own)

Image

User avatar
Apr 5th, '13, 12:13
Posts: 719
Joined: Feb 12th, '13
Location: South Bronx, NYC
Contact: futurebird

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by futurebird » Apr 5th, '13, 12:13

That cat is too cute... herre are some more potts from this "'clay house" that came up on another thread about getting clay.

Image

Fractal teapot.

Image

Triplets.

(source:http://www.chineseclayart.com/ChineseClayArt/director_works_3.asp)

Apr 5th, '13, 13:36
Posts: 747
Joined: Aug 1st, '12
Location: Bangkok

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by theredbaron » Apr 5th, '13, 13:36

Poohblah wrote:
bagua7 wrote:
futurebird wrote:ImageLong distance pour. Maybe it cools the tea down? Or maybe it's just fun.


Popular in the touristy tea houses in Beijing.

And apparently in Southern China too. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17126



In '93 i have seen similar, but not that extreme long spouts, in all of Chengdu's teahouses, which were definitely not touristic, but in all gardens and neighborhoods used by locals. People drunk green tea from Gaiwan, read papers, played chess, listened to their caged birds singing, and occasionally had their ears professionally cleaned by folks that offered that service. In between waiters walked around and filled up empty Gaiwan from those kettles with very long spouts.
I haven't been back in Chengdu since. Dunno if it is still like this. I loved hanging out in those teahouses.

User avatar
Apr 6th, '13, 10:15
Posts: 132
Joined: Feb 5th, '13
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Maneki Neko » Apr 6th, '13, 10:15

futurebird wrote:That cat is too cute... herre are some more potts from this "'clay house" that came up on another thread about getting clay.

Image

Fractal teapot.

Image

Triplets.

(source:http://www.chineseclayart.com/ChineseClayArt/director_works_3.asp)

These are both awwwsomely cute! :D

User avatar
Apr 6th, '13, 12:04
Posts: 929
Joined: Mar 4th, '10
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by Poohblah » Apr 6th, '13, 12:04

theredbaron wrote:
Poohblah wrote:
bagua7 wrote:
futurebird wrote:ImageLong distance pour. Maybe it cools the tea down? Or maybe it's just fun.


Popular in the touristy tea houses in Beijing.

And apparently in Southern China too. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17126



In '93 i have seen similar, but not that extreme long spouts, in all of Chengdu's teahouses, which were definitely not touristic, but in all gardens and neighborhoods used by locals. People drunk green tea from Gaiwan, read papers, played chess, listened to their caged birds singing, and occasionally had their ears professionally cleaned by folks that offered that service. In between waiters walked around and filled up empty Gaiwan from those kettles with very long spouts.
I haven't been back in Chengdu since. Dunno if it is still like this. I loved hanging out in those teahouses.
I went to a traditional teahouse in Chengdu last summer. The scene you describe is accurate. But they used relatively normal-looking kettles.

User avatar
Apr 6th, '13, 12:13
Vendor Member
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '08
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Fanciful, whimsical, strange and silly.

by gingkoseto » Apr 6th, '13, 12:13

The long-spout teapot is more traditional in Chengdu. But the purpose of it is serving a lot of people in a row without running up and down (and it also helps cool down the water as people in Sichuan mostly drink jasmine green tea). So when there aren't that many people, a shorter spout (still longer than normal) is enough. Using a very long spout when not necessary would be a little showy.
Nowadays I suspect there aren't many young waiters who have the skills to use the long spout, and most of those who can have joined the show business instead of staying in tea houses :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply