Official Shincha 2013 Ordering topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


User avatar
Apr 28th, '13, 15:15
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Chip » Apr 28th, '13, 15:15

Placing in a zip seal foil lined bag > in a zip seal foil lined bag > in a zip seal foil lined bag should prevent problems. Heat sealers would be great ... as would having deox packets. But so far I have resisted those temptations. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Apr 29th, '13, 15:03
Posts: 593
Joined: Nov 13th, '12
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by victoria3 » Apr 29th, '13, 15:03

Chip wrote:Placing in a zip seal foil lined bag ..... should prevent problems. Heat sealers would be great ... as would having deox packets. But so far I have resisted those temptations. :mrgreen:
I just purchased Bear proof bags! They are water/air tight and odor proof zip bags, OPSAK by Loksak. This should work really well.
http://www.loksak.com/purchase/opsak-3.html

User avatar
Apr 29th, '13, 15:33
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Chip » Apr 29th, '13, 15:33

Yogi wrote:I am smarter than the average bear!
Just don't store it in a picinic basket in Jellystone! :mrgreen:

And keep out of direct light. :idea:

User avatar
Apr 29th, '13, 16:56
Posts: 593
Joined: Nov 13th, '12
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by victoria3 » Apr 29th, '13, 16:56

Yogi Bear: "Now that I can oblige"
hahah...I can place the Opsak inside a cheap Mylar bag I have to block out light.

User avatar
Apr 29th, '13, 20:01
Posts: 865
Joined: Mar 4th, '10
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Poohblah » Apr 29th, '13, 20:01

I have used those bags for backpacking before. Keep in mind that, while they don't allow odor to escape, they may give off an odor of their own which will not play well with the tea.

User avatar
Apr 29th, '13, 20:38
Posts: 593
Joined: Nov 13th, '12
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by victoria3 » Apr 29th, '13, 20:38

Poohblah wrote:I have used those bags for backpacking before. Keep in mind that, while they don't allow odor to escape, they may give off an odor of their own which will not play well with the tea.
Oh crap this is disappointing to hear. Do your bags smell like plastic after several weeks? Or just at the beginning? Do you think they are cheaply made? I did this online so haven't touch the product yet. Maybe I should just find a thick Mylar ziplock bag....

User avatar
Apr 29th, '13, 21:03
Posts: 865
Joined: Mar 4th, '10
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Poohblah » Apr 29th, '13, 21:03

victoria3 wrote:
Poohblah wrote:I have used those bags for backpacking before. Keep in mind that, while they don't allow odor to escape, they may give off an odor of their own which will not play well with the tea.
Oh crap this is disappointing to hear. Do your bags smell like plastic after several weeks? Or just at the beginning? Do you think they are cheaply made? I did this online so haven't touch the product yet. Maybe I should just find a thick Mylar ziplock bag....
I don't have any with me right now to check. They are definitely not cheaply made though. It's a pretty high quality product. It's just meant for keeping things water-tight, air-tight, and away from bears and other critters, not necessarily for storing tea in fridges. I would still give it a shot though. I'm just generally wary of all things plastic as far as tea is concerned. I've not had good experiences...

User avatar
Apr 30th, '13, 17:47
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Chip » Apr 30th, '13, 17:47

Shin-OTTI-Cha official 3 day notification:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#p243230

User avatar
Apr 30th, '13, 19:23
Posts: 865
Joined: Mar 4th, '10
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Poohblah » Apr 30th, '13, 19:23

oh boy oh boy oh boy

Apr 30th, '13, 19:43
Posts: 7
Joined: May 7th, '11
Location: NYC

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by piratesdrinktea » Apr 30th, '13, 19:43

Hey all, longtime lurker, extremely infrequent poster. Is this also the 2013 Shincha review topic (in addition to ordering), or should we create one?

On that note, I've so far only gotten the Sae Midori shincha from O-Cha (along with a new fukamushi pot because, alas, I always manage to break the tops!).

Last year it was deep green, with a surprisingly clean, sort of refined flavor for such a deep steam, along with grassy and creamy notes. This year, it's still a powerful green brew, but for me so far a much stronger hit of marine flavor, along with some vegetal notes. I'm not really a big fan of those seaweedy sorts of flavors, so for me I much preferred it last year. For those who like that type of flavor I'd certainly recommend it, though. I'm curious if others feel similarly about the Sae this year.

User avatar
Apr 30th, '13, 22:08
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Chip » Apr 30th, '13, 22:08

piratesdrinktea wrote:Hey all, longtime lurker, extremely infrequent poster. Is this also the 2013 Shincha review topic (in addition to ordering), or should we create one?
We should create one! If it is not created by someone else, I will endeavor to create one tonight yet.

User avatar
May 1st, '13, 09:26
Posts: 98
Joined: Aug 14th, '11
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Ohio

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Running for Tea » May 1st, '13, 09:26

Poohblah wrote:oh boy oh boy oh boy
Agree :mrgreen:

On a related note, I see that O-cha's Kirameki sold out. Now, I'm even more excited to try it!

User avatar
May 1st, '13, 11:23
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Chip » May 1st, '13, 11:23

Running for Tea wrote:
Poohblah wrote:oh boy oh boy oh boy
Agree :mrgreen:

On a related note, I see that O-cha's Kirameki sold out. Now, I'm even more excited to try it!
This could be that the numerical value he entered for the quantity has all sold out. Kevin has to enter a quantity. He might just have to update the value.

User avatar
May 1st, '13, 11:52
Posts: 98
Joined: Aug 14th, '11
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Ohio

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Running for Tea » May 1st, '13, 11:52

Chip wrote:This could be that the numerical value he entered for the quantity has all sold out. Kevin has to enter a quantity. He might just have to update the value.
Okay, this is good news then! I was hoping to have the option to order a second bag if the tea was great.

User avatar
May 1st, '13, 13:10
Posts: 673
Joined: Jan 9th, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by sherubtse » May 1st, '13, 13:10

Running for Tea wrote:On a related note, I see that O-cha's Kirameki sold out. Now, I'm even more excited to try it!
I believe that Kevin will have the shincha version in stock within the next few days.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply