Tobacco Tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.


User avatar
Jul 14th, '10, 13:12
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22836
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by Chip » Jul 14th, '10, 13:12

TwoPynts wrote:Hrm, reading this thread makes me wonder if anyone has tried making tea with another popular smokeable product... :mrgreen:

PLEASE do not mention this by name. What happens, the google bots, etc. pick it up and all of a sudden the forum is like a "head shop." Seriously.

You should have seen the crowd that came through google searches for "smoken [sic] green tea" when these 3 words were placed together on TC. That was once the top posted topic on the forum for all the wrong reasons. I finally removed the topic.

User avatar
Jul 16th, '10, 10:31
Posts: 879
Joined: Jul 9th, '10
Location: Florida

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by TwoPynts » Jul 16th, '10, 10:31

Chip wrote:PLEASE do not mention this by name.


No worries, it shall remain nameless, sorry for bringing it up.

Jun 25th, '13, 17:48
Posts: 3
Joined: Jun 25th, '13

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by Amonite » Jun 25th, '13, 17:48

I went down to the farmer's market today and bought a Chinese black tea (Amber Dragon by Shen Zen tea) because it had a very unique and layered flavor.

Then, when I was in the car I noticed the description:

"Young tea buds are gently plucked and oxidized to create this prized, golden black tea rarely ever seen outside of China, The down on the leaves infuses a rich texture with notes of apricots, sweet tobacco, toasted nuts, and caramel."

But, the ingredients only say "black tea". So, it doesn't have tobacco in it.

User avatar
Jun 25th, '13, 17:52
Posts: 2350
Joined: Oct 23rd, '06
Location: Seattle Area
Contact: tenuki

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by tenuki » Jun 25th, '13, 17:52

Chip wrote:You should have seen the crowd that came through google searches for "smoken [sic] green tea" when these 3 words were placed together on TC.


ROFLMA - I remember that - hilarious group of folk. It was kinda like a circus came to town for a week.

User avatar
Jun 25th, '13, 18:04
Posts: 329
Joined: Dec 29th, '09
Location: Cazenovia, NY

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by GreenwoodStudio » Jun 25th, '13, 18:04

Chip wrote:PLEASE do not mention this by name. What happens, the google bots, etc. pick it up and all of a sudden the forum is like a "head shop." Seriously.

You should have seen the crowd that came through google searches for "smoken [sic] green tea" when these 3 words were placed together on TC. That was once the top posted topic on the forum for all the wrong reasons. I finally removed the topic.


:lol:

User avatar
Jun 25th, '13, 18:19
Posts: 20
Joined: Jun 23rd, '11
Location: WA

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by Mooniac » Jun 25th, '13, 18:19

TwoPynts wrote:Hrm, reading this thread makes me wonder if anyone has tried making tea with another popular smokeable product... :mrgreen:


Kazahstan, Dagikistan, sometimes Armenia or Georgia (not the U.S. one) - you can easily get what you are talking about.

User avatar
Jun 25th, '13, 22:46
Vendor Member
Posts: 2814
Joined: Aug 28th, '12

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by jayinhk » Jun 25th, '13, 22:46

For the magic tea you speak of, you need animal fat if you want it to be 'effective.' You could boil some in full fat milk, and then drink the milk, or add it to your tea of choice. Brewed up without fat, you'll get the taste with very little effect. :mrgreen:

Tobacco tea, on the other hand, sounds like a very, very bad idea. Just get some chew, or if you like the cigar taste, some pipe tobacco rope or twist, which can be chewed.

Jun 26th, '13, 22:53
Posts: 37
Joined: Apr 24th, '13

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by John Delaney » Jun 26th, '13, 22:53

Anything is possible. That being said, the Chinese are a big smoking culture where I think something like 60% of them smoke. This influences a lot of their food and teas as they often have a smokiness in them or pair well with them. I think I would start instead by looking at teas that already offer some smokiness. You can then continue to smoke and enjoy complimentary teas that the Chinese have been enjoying for years. No need to reinvent the wheel.

User avatar
Jun 27th, '13, 21:36
Posts: 26
Joined: Apr 21st, '13
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by asterix2k10 » Jun 27th, '13, 21:36

I was once in a new age-y raw foods restaurant and they had these herbal elixirs on the menu. I noticed one of them had tobacco in the ingredients. I decided to share one with my friend. They poured this thick green liquid into a shotglass and we each took a swig. We both got pretty sick, and I'm sure it was from the tobacco. It was not a good feeling although I definitely felt a nicotine buzz from it. I can't say I would recommend it!

User avatar
Jun 27th, '13, 23:57
Posts: 216
Joined: Dec 12th, '12
Location: Mexico City

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by amaranto » Jun 27th, '13, 23:57

I think Lapsang Souchong tastes like tobacco juice, but that's just me.


I can see that--the premium not-too-heavily-smoked kind I've tried. Some shu I've tried also reminds me of tobacco.

User avatar
Jun 28th, '13, 04:20
Posts: 75
Joined: Jan 3rd, '13
Location: Flanders, Belgium

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by Risdt » Jun 28th, '13, 04:20

One of my friends grew some tobacco in his garden. Back then we were in an experimental 'herbal' phase when we tried many different plants we found in nature. He then fermented the tobacco under a roof outside but it looked rather disastrious. So then we decided to brew some tea from it... :lol: We had a few sips, felt rather funny afterwards and then we decidided to check the internet. Every website related to the words 'Tobacco tea' seemed to go about its use as an (illegal) insecticide and it could be pretty lethal. I guess we were lucky we didn't drank the whole cup :D

Jun 30th, '13, 13:47
Posts: 28
Joined: Apr 30th, '13
Location: Malta

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by tecnanaut » Jun 30th, '13, 13:47

Risdt wrote:One of my friends grew some tobacco in his garden. Back then we were in an experimental 'herbal' phase when we tried many different plants we found in nature. He then fermented the tobacco under a roof outside but it looked rather disastrious. So then we decided to brew some tea from it... :lol: We had a few sips, felt rather funny afterwards and then we decidided to check the internet. Every website related to the words 'Tobacco tea' seemed to go about its use as an (illegal) insecticide and it could be pretty lethal. I guess we were lucky we didn't drank the whole cup :D


Some criminals in the past have tried to soak a large number of cigarettes overnight in water and drink the brew. The huge amounts of nicotine result in symptoms that are exactly identical to a heart attack. Of course ideally you'd have an accomplice to hijack the ambulance on the way to the hospital. 8)

Jun 30th, '13, 14:21
Posts: 45
Joined: Jun 8th, '13
Location: Baltimore , Md

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by lordmage » Jun 30th, '13, 14:21

first it is possible to make a tincture out of the leaves of anything. but you should be careful of the concentration of said extraction. i do not advise making anything out of tobacco leaves for drinking purposes. the other choices that shall not be named are possible but again i do not advise anything for drinking purposes. a simple google search of the words i used will help you learn just how bad it can be for you to drink your tobacco or other unnamed smoke-ables.

User avatar
Jun 30th, '13, 21:38
Vendor Member
Posts: 2814
Joined: Aug 28th, '12

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by jayinhk » Jun 30th, '13, 21:38

The unnamed kind has thousands of years of usage as a drinkable in India, which continues to this day and is even sold at government-licensed stores in several states of the country. In CA they're even offering sodas made with extract at medical establishments. :wink:

Drinking tobacco tea, on the other hand, could mean a trip to the ER!

User avatar
Jul 1st, '13, 15:08
Posts: 483
Joined: Jan 23rd, '07
Location: Philadelphia
Contact: Evan Draper

Re: Tobacco Tea?

by Evan Draper » Jul 1st, '13, 15:08

Shihali wrote:http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=63157


Looks like this site needs a lot more people posting about their tea highs.

+ Post Reply