Den's Gyokuro tips?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


User avatar
Jul 22nd, '13, 22:54
Posts: 253
Joined: Feb 6th, '13
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact: Muadeeb

Den's Gyokuro tips?

by Muadeeb » Jul 22nd, '13, 22:54

Just today I got a new order from Den's, the Sencha Shin Ryoku, Fuka mushi Maki, and Gyokuro Suimei. This is my first time trying to brew gyokuro, and it doesn't taste sweet at all, more salty than anything. It's got a lot of umami, but I'm sure I'm not brewing it to its full potential.

The instructions say 2oz at 140 degrees for 150sec. No mention of water amount. I brewed about 9oz in my Den's Shinsha kyusu, and it's ok, but uninspiring. Has anyone had good luck with some other parameters?

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '13, 13:19
Posts: 319
Joined: Sep 8th, '12
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Den's Gyokuro tips?

by Devoted135 » Jul 23rd, '13, 13:19

Muadeeb wrote: The instructions say 2oz at 140 degrees for 150sec. No mention of water amount. I brewed about 9oz in my Den's Shinsha kyusu, and it's ok, but uninspiring. Has anyone had good luck with some other parameters?


Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Can you clarify how many grams leaf and oz water you used?

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '13, 13:49
Posts: 485
Joined: Jul 19th, '13
Location: Kentucky
Contact: Poseidon

Re: Den's Gyokuro tips?

by Poseidon » Jul 23rd, '13, 13:49

Muadeeb wrote:Just today I got a new order from Den's, the Sencha Shin Ryoku, Fuka mushi Maki, and Gyokuro Suimei. This is my first time trying to brew gyokuro, and it doesn't taste sweet at all, more salty than anything. It's got a lot of umami, but I'm sure I'm not brewing it to its full potential.

The instructions say 2oz at 140 degrees for 150sec. No mention of water amount. I brewed about 9oz in my Den's Shinsha kyusu, and it's ok, but uninspiring. Has anyone had good luck with some other parameters?

I know this isnt how people generally do it around here but i did mine like this: 1tsp @ 175 for 4 min. poured over a strainer and it was sweet/complex/umami/ect. Im not an expert with trying any techniques but I really enjoyed how I did it. You could always do lower temperature (140) and steep longer. The trend on here, from what I can tell, is high temp in a gaiwan and fast steeping.

Good Luck! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Jul 23rd, '13, 18:17
Posts: 99
Joined: Aug 14th, '11
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Ohio

Re: Den's Gyokuro tips?

by Running for Tea » Jul 23rd, '13, 18:17

This gyokuro was in the gyokuro OTTI earlier in the year
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=18234&start=0

In the thread you'll find Chip's recommended brewing, as well as other members' experiences! :D

User avatar
Jul 24th, '13, 12:45
Posts: 253
Joined: Feb 6th, '13
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact: Muadeeb

Re: Den's Gyokuro tips?

by Muadeeb » Jul 24th, '13, 12:45

Devoted135 wrote:
Muadeeb wrote: The instructions say 2oz at 140 degrees for 150sec. No mention of water amount. I brewed about 9oz in my Den's Shinsha kyusu, and it's ok, but uninspiring. Has anyone had good luck with some other parameters?


Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Can you clarify how many grams leaf and oz water you used?


I was confused too. The instructions don't mention how much water to use. I just put my usual 3.5g in my 9oz kyusu. I'll check out the thread posted above and see if I can improve my experience.

Jul 25th, '13, 01:57
Posts: 8
Joined: Apr 2nd, '13
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact: ianchun

Re: Den's Gyokuro tips?

by ianchun » Jul 25th, '13, 01:57

Steeping gyokuro:

There are a number of different ways and opinions. Here is what we recommend based off of what the Japanese Tea Instructors Association recommends:

Very basically, you should have 1 gram of leaf for every 10 ml, so if using 5 grams, use 50 ml (1.7 fl oz). 40-60˚C degrees (100-140F).

This is just for the first steep, to get a concentrated infusion of the savory umami flavor. The lower temperature draws out less, so you steep it longer, the higher temperature draws out more and faster, but you start to get catechin which adds the bitterness of sencha.

When you get really good at this, you will be able to put any amount of leaf, and know just how much water you should have (about x2 the height of the leaf if using a small houhin tea pot), and the steep will be ready, when the level of the infused leaves becomes about even with the level of the water. This takes practice.

After this first steep, the catechin is still present in the leaf. Steep very quickly, 5-10 sec., at 80-90 C degrees. This is because the leaves will be ready to release the rest of their essence. And you will get enough of a flavor without steeping longer. Then you still have enough flavor in your leaf for another two steeps depending on the quality of the leaf.

Hope this helps!

Feb 19th, '14, 02:26
Posts: 224
Joined: Nov 24th, '13

Re: Den's Gyokuro tips?

by ClarG » Feb 19th, '14, 02:26

ianchun wrote:Steeping gyokuro:

There are a number of different ways and opinions. Here is what we recommend based off of what the Japanese Tea Instructors Association recommends:

Very basically, you should have 1 gram of leaf for every 10 ml, so if using 5 grams, use 50 ml (1.7 fl oz). 40-60˚C degrees (100-140F).

This is just for the first steep, to get a concentrated infusion of the savory umami flavor. The lower temperature draws out less, so you steep it longer, the higher temperature draws out more and faster, but you start to get catechin which adds the bitterness of sencha.

When you get really good at this, you will be able to put any amount of leaf, and know just how much water you should have (about x2 the height of the leaf if using a small houhin tea pot), and the steep will be ready, when the level of the infused leaves becomes about even with the level of the water. This takes practice.

After this first steep, the catechin is still present in the leaf. Steep very quickly, 5-10 sec., at 80-90 C degrees. This is because the leaves will be ready to release the rest of their essence. And you will get enough of a flavor without steeping longer. Then you still have enough flavor in your leaf for another two steeps depending on the quality of the leaf.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice.

User avatar
Feb 19th, '14, 10:15
Posts: 512
Joined: Oct 8th, '10
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Germany

Re: Den's Gyokuro tips?

by Stentor » Feb 19th, '14, 10:15

Poseidon wrote:The trend on here, from what I can tell, is high temp in a gaiwan and fast steeping.
This is not the way to brew gyokuro.
As others have mentioned, there is good advice on brewing gyokuro in the Gyokuro OTTI thread.

+ Post Reply