50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Aug 18th, '13, 16:08
Posts: 5
Joined: Feb 25th, '10, 18:21

50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by wrcowan2002 » Aug 18th, '13, 16:08

If anyone knows the history of puerh, can you read this below & let me know if you think this is legit. I thought the warehouses were emptied during the cultural revolution & the only cakes left from that time were going for 6 figures.

Amazon.com is selling this tea: 1960's Guang Yun Beeng Cha Pu-erh Tea - 350g - High End Pu-erh Teas. Price: $2850. by Generation Tea

This old cake is made from leaves from Yunnan that were brought to Guang Dong Province for processing. This practice continued into the 1990's and produced a sought after and collected series of green Pu-erh's. This cake is 40+ years old and had lost all the scent of tea. This shows good aging in a good environement. This tea is similiar to the famous Blue label editions of the 1950's. The taste is light and the brew is amber brown and almost sparkles. The leaves come from the Dai district (where the Blue label was also picked). The processing and compression, though, were in Guang Dong. This was the practice during the Cultural Revolution and it has made this a famous tea. We are happy to offer this fine antique cake. There are no wrappers on this tea, as they were produced......

Aug 18th, '13, 16:34
Posts: 448
Joined: Feb 17th, '13, 12:34

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by mr mopu » Aug 18th, '13, 16:34

Use caution. The info about the blue label production is correct. In my opinion I would not buy this at that price without sampling the tea. The questions would be how this tea was stored. Wet or dry can greatly alter the taste of the same cake.

Aug 18th, '13, 16:36
Posts: 1280
Joined: May 9th, '09, 15:59

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by shah82 » Aug 18th, '13, 16:36

Generation Tea does not have a good reputation. They have their own website.

Aug 19th, '13, 00:06
Posts: 338
Joined: Jul 13th, '13, 19:11

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by AllanK » Aug 19th, '13, 00:06

mr mopu wrote:Use caution. The info about the blue label production is correct. In my opinion I would not buy this at that price without sampling the tea. The questions would be how this tea was stored. Wet or dry can greatly alter the taste of the same cake.
Wouldn't wet storage in a 50 year old cake be mold, mold, and more mold?

User avatar
Aug 19th, '13, 00:53
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by TIM » Aug 19th, '13, 00:53

AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:Use caution. The info about the blue label production is correct. In my opinion I would not buy this at that price without sampling the tea. The questions would be how this tea was stored. Wet or dry can greatly alter the taste of the same cake.
Wouldn't wet storage in a 50 year old cake be mold, mold, and more mold?
Was it labeled wet storage?

Aug 19th, '13, 06:31
Posts: 448
Joined: Feb 17th, '13, 12:34

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by mr mopu » Aug 19th, '13, 06:31

TIM wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:Use caution. The info about the blue label production is correct. In my opinion I would not buy this at that price without sampling the tea. The questions would be how this tea was stored. Wet or dry can greatly alter the taste of the same cake.
Wouldn't wet storage in a 50 year old cake be mold, mold, and more mold?
Was it labeled wet storage?
Not sure , some mold is beneficial others are not. I don't think it said "wet storage" . But if I was going to purchase it for that price I would want to taste it first.

User avatar
Aug 19th, '13, 09:08
Posts: 2086
Joined: Mar 15th, '06, 17:43
Contact: MarshalN

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by MarshalN » Aug 19th, '13, 09:08

Mold doesn't grow uncontrollably over time, and traditional storage only lasts for maybe two years.

Aug 19th, '13, 21:07
Posts: 448
Joined: Feb 17th, '13, 12:34

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by mr mopu » Aug 19th, '13, 21:07

MarshalN wrote:Mold doesn't grow uncontrollably over time, and traditional storage only lasts for maybe two years.
Great schooling from the master. Thanks Marshal I was not sure about the time tea was stored at. This is why I read read and read some more. I try to pick up as much info as possible. That"s why I love this forum so much can be learned here! :D

User avatar
Aug 19th, '13, 21:22
Posts: 1153
Joined: Jul 10th, '13, 01:38
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by William » Aug 19th, '13, 21:22

mr mopu wrote:That"s why I love this forum so much can be learned here! :D
+1

User avatar
Aug 19th, '13, 22:38
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 5th, '13, 09:10

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by Teaism » Aug 19th, '13, 22:38

Firstly I wouldn't drive ahead looking at the back mirror. Tea collection should be forward looking. If we think we can find treasure of the past, esp online we are taking a big risk.

Anyway for old tea the storage and condition of the tea is the most important. I have 2 pieces of this tea made in early 80s store by different collectors. The one which stored in sealed plastic bag taste heavenly. The other that was left around exposed don't worth a dime.

So, I am really not sure about quality of this one offered online. Also this tea is not a high end Puer tea as claimed. This tea is rough production tea during that time. I wouldn't buy a cotton rag for the price of silk even the cotton rag is 50 years old. :D

Aug 19th, '13, 22:47
Posts: 448
Joined: Feb 17th, '13, 12:34

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by mr mopu » Aug 19th, '13, 22:47

Teaism wrote:Firstly I wouldn't drive ahead looking at the back mirror. Tea collection should be forward looking. If we think we can find treasure of the past, esp online we are taking a big risk.

Anyway for old tea the storage and condition of the tea is the most important. I have 2 pieces of this tea made in early 80s store by different collectors. The one which stored in sealed plastic bag taste heavenly. The other that was left around exposed don't worth a dime.

So, I am really not sure about quality of this one offered online. Also this tea is not a high end Puer tea as claimed. This tea is rough production tea during that time. I wouldn't buy a cotton rag for the price of silk even the cotton rag is 50 years old. :D
+1
Thus the need for a sample or taste before purchasing

User avatar
Aug 20th, '13, 06:45
Posts: 691
Joined: Mar 10th, '11, 08:17
Location: on top of a mountain.

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by gasninja » Aug 20th, '13, 06:45

Samples of this are available online from other vendors if one makes the effort to do a google search.

Mr mopu you have tried Blue Mark? Is it similar to a 60's GYG? I have not tried a blue mark. but I would have assumed they would be very different do to the different processing styles and provinces.

Aug 20th, '13, 07:20
Posts: 448
Joined: Feb 17th, '13, 12:34

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by mr mopu » Aug 20th, '13, 07:20

gasninja wrote:Samples of this are available online from other vendors if one makes the effort to do a google search.

Mr mopu you have tried Blue Mark? Is it similar to a 60's GYG? I have not tried a blue mark. but I would have assumed they would be very different do to the different processing styles and provinces.
I hade not had a chance to try the Blue mark as of yet. I think the oldest I have had up to now is a 1998 .

User avatar
Aug 20th, '13, 09:11
Vendor Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Apr 26th, '08, 20:53
Location: Malaysia
Contact: nada

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by nada » Aug 20th, '13, 09:11

gasninja wrote:... you have tried Blue Mark? Is it similar to a 60's GYG? I have not tried a blue mark. but I would have assumed they would be very different do to the different processing styles and provinces.
They are very different teas. Well stored Blue Mark is much smoother, more refined, thicker in the mouth and throat and a much better all round tea. There's a reason for the price difference!!

Aug 25th, '13, 02:02
Posts: 338
Joined: Jul 13th, '13, 19:11

Re: 50 Year Old Puerh on Amazon

by AllanK » Aug 25th, '13, 02:02

Teaism wrote:Firstly I wouldn't drive ahead looking at the back mirror. Tea collection should be forward looking. If we think we can find treasure of the past, esp online we are taking a big risk.

Anyway for old tea the storage and condition of the tea is the most important. I have 2 pieces of this tea made in early 80s store by different collectors. The one which stored in sealed plastic bag taste heavenly. The other that was left around exposed don't worth a dime.

So, I am really not sure about quality of this one offered online. Also this tea is not a high end Puer tea as claimed. This tea is rough production tea during that time. I wouldn't buy a cotton rag for the price of silk even the cotton rag is 50 years old. :D
It is interesting that you said the one in the sealed plastic bag was the best, I thought you were supposed to expose puerh to the air? At least to some degree?

+ Post Reply