User avatar
Sep 14th, '13, 18:52
Posts: 5864
Joined: Jan 10th, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact: debunix

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » Sep 14th, '13, 18:52

Wow, really gorgeous. And other lovely things are still in the shop. Definitely worth a look. Bet your bowl would look gorgeous with a nice golden low-roast oolong....

User avatar
Sep 14th, '13, 19:45
Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 20th, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Maryland

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by ShawnP » Sep 14th, '13, 19:45

debunix wrote:Wow, really gorgeous. And other lovely things are still in the shop. Definitely worth a look. Bet your bowl would look gorgeous with a nice golden low-roast oolong....

I will be sure to post up when she's full of Sheng. Thanks for the kind words.

Shawn

User avatar
Oct 8th, '13, 20:03
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by AdamMY » Oct 8th, '13, 20:03

I've always had a weird time with this cup. From an order from Seong Il I had only ordered 1 of these (not fully realizing how small they where), but two arrived. This cup I feel was included because it was "flawed" with all the bubbles that occurred in the shino glaze, but for some reason it has been my favorite by far!
Image
Shino Cup by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

I call it the moon in a cup, with all its craters.

User avatar
Oct 8th, '13, 21:17
Posts: 1806
Joined: Sep 15th, '09
Location: Wilton, New Hampshire USA

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by JBaymore » Oct 8th, '13, 21:17

That kind of pinholing is a characteristic of actual Japanese shino glazes.... which are very different from American shino.

best,

................john

User avatar
Oct 8th, '13, 21:48
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by AdamMY » Oct 8th, '13, 21:48

JBaymore wrote:That kind of pinholing is a characteristic of actual Japanese shino glazes.... which are very different from American shino.

best,

................john
Good to hear John. Glad it is not a "flaw" though I never really considered it such. But I do know from some conversations some people would consider it a flaw as they would feel the could never adequately clean it. I find it funny I see people comment on my photos of my well used Japanese/Korean/ Chinese piece with well stained cracks telling me to "Wash my cups" saying that the stains are uncleaned "left overs." While others (myself included) view the stains as a badge of honor, of a great well made cup that we love to use.

User avatar
Oct 11th, '13, 14:03
Posts: 214
Joined: Mar 28th, '11

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Saladin » Oct 11th, '13, 14:03

The more pinholes the better imho. :D

User avatar
Oct 19th, '13, 20:43
Posts: 256
Joined: Feb 6th, '13
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact: Muadeeb

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Muadeeb » Oct 19th, '13, 20:43

I just put out a record today and used my Seigan yunomis for the album art:
shutter-secretportrait-cover.jpg
shutter-secretportrait-cover.jpg (131.83 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
I figure it belongs in this thread since I'm showing them off to the world. The inside cover has a similar closeup of my white shino cup.

**Spam**
If you'd like to hear it, it's available here: https://shutterspeedsd.bandcamp.com/
**/Spam**

User avatar
Oct 26th, '13, 13:28
Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 20th, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Maryland

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by ShawnP » Oct 26th, '13, 13:28

AdamMY wrote:I've always had a weird time with this cup. From an order from Seong Il I had only ordered 1 of these (not fully realizing how small they where), but two arrived. This cup I feel was included because it was "flawed" with all the bubbles that occurred in the shino glaze, but for some reason it has been my favorite by far!
Image
Shino Cup by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

I call it the moon in a cup, with all its craters.
Adam I think that is a beautiful cup. You say it's small, what size is it? Just curious.

Again nice pick up.

Shawn

User avatar
Oct 26th, '13, 13:39
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by AdamMY » Oct 26th, '13, 13:39

ShawnP wrote:
AdamMY wrote:I've always had a weird time with this cup. From an order from Seong Il I had only ordered 1 of these (not fully realizing how small they where), but two arrived. This cup I feel was included because it was "flawed" with all the bubbles that occurred in the shino glaze, but for some reason it has been my favorite by far!
Image
Shino Cup by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

I call it the moon in a cup, with all its craters.
Adam I think that is a beautiful cup. You say it's small, what size is it? Just curious.

Again nice pick up.

Shawn
It certainly isn't my smallest cup, but this is probably 45-50 ml or so. Comfortably it probably holds close to 1 ounce.

User avatar
Oct 26th, '13, 14:04
Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 20th, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Maryland

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by ShawnP » Oct 26th, '13, 14:04

AdamMY wrote:
ShawnP wrote:
AdamMY wrote:I've always had a weird time with this cup. From an order from Seong Il I had only ordered 1 of these (not fully realizing how small they where), but two arrived. This cup I feel was included because it was "flawed" with all the bubbles that occurred in the shino glaze, but for some reason it has been my favorite by far!
Image
Shino Cup by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

I call it the moon in a cup, with all its craters.
Adam I think that is a beautiful cup. You say it's small, what size is it? Just curious.

Again nice pick up.

Shawn
It certainly isn't my smallest cup, but this is probably 45-50 ml or so. Comfortably it probably holds close to 1 ounce.
Gotcha, happen to have a pic of both of them together?

I just got started on handmade teaware this year and I may need to move just to be able to display them LMAO.

So addicting & beautiful.

SHawn

User avatar
Oct 27th, '13, 13:53
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by AdamMY » Oct 27th, '13, 13:53

ShawnP wrote: Gotcha, happen to have a pic of both of them together?

SHawn
Had to dig through the archives... but I found a few:

Image
Seong-il Shino Cups by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

And the two smaller ones on either side of the center one.

Image
Shino Cups by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

User avatar
Oct 27th, '13, 19:02
Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 20th, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Maryland

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by ShawnP » Oct 27th, '13, 19:02

AdamMY wrote:
ShawnP wrote: Gotcha, happen to have a pic of both of them together?

SHawn
Had to dig through the archives... but I found a few:

Image
Seong-il Shino Cups by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

And the two smaller ones on either side of the center one.

Image
Shino Cups by Adam Yusko, on Flickr
Nice, I like those. Thanks for digging up the pic.

Shawn

Oct 28th, '13, 07:44
Posts: 9
Joined: May 16th, '13

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Jinx » Oct 28th, '13, 07:44

I have one teapot which I ordered via the www. This can be sort of a problem, since even the best photo can only give an impression of what you'll hold in your very hands once the item arrived.

I live in Germany, and most tea stores and even online shops do offer more or less the same teaware. Of course, there are some dealers who have yixing teapots or handmade teaware, but most of the stuff comes from the same producers/dealers in Asia. So tea lovers order in Japan, China, or Taiwan, but it's expensive (shipping, custom fees), and if the item doesn't match your expectations, you would have quite an ado with returning it (and the shipping fees are really high.

When I unpacked this teapot, I was delighted. When I touched it, I knew this will be perfect for me. It's Taiwanese, and holds about 200 ml.

Image

It's a matte glaze that looks like light blue seladon, and when touched, it almost feels soft. I also like the square base which becomes more roundet at the top.

Since it's glazed on the inside as well, it's pretty versatile.

User avatar
Oct 28th, '13, 09:55
Posts: 5864
Joined: Jan 10th, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact: debunix

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » Oct 28th, '13, 09:55

Very sleek and unusual with the wood accents.

Oct 28th, '13, 21:09
Posts: 9
Joined: May 16th, '13

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Jinx » Oct 28th, '13, 21:09

@debunix: Yes, it is unusual, indeed. But it's the best balanced side-handled teapot I have (I own two kyusus, and they are both of good quality). And it pours very neatly and quick. :)

+ Post Reply