Nov 5th, '13, 11:39

Re: Vacuum sealer

by wyardley » Nov 5th, '13, 11:39

If you want to age the oolong, I'd suggest not trying to seal it that tightly or prevent moisture from getting in, especially if you don't live in an extremely humid climate.

Nov 5th, '13, 11:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Nov 5th, '13, 11:57

wyardley wrote:If you want to age the oolong, I'd suggest not trying to seal it that tightly or prevent moisture from getting in, especially if you don't live in an extremely humid climate.
These are the official fluctuations of humidity in my city.
January 81%, February 77%, March 73%, April 74%, May 72%, June 73%, July 72%, August 73%, September 74%, October 78%, November 80% December 82%.

As I understand, these values ​​are too high for oolong.
What do you think?

Regards,
William.

Nov 9th, '13, 23:30

by Tead Off » Nov 9th, '13, 23:30

wyardley wrote:If you want to age the oolong, I'd suggest not trying to seal it that tightly or prevent moisture from getting in, especially if you don't live in an extremely humid climate.
Why would you not try to prevent moisture from getting in? I'm not sure if I would agree with this.

I was surprised to see his humidity chart. It's more humid than Bangkok!

Nov 9th, '13, 23:45
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 9th, '13, 23:45

I wonder what is going on. Those #s for humidity are suspect which makes the whole thread seem like a useless exercise.

Nov 10th, '13, 09:53

by William » Nov 10th, '13, 09:53

Tead Off wrote:
wyardley wrote: I was surprised to see his humidity chart. It's more humid than Bangkok!
The main problem is that I live in a lowland located in northern Italy, with virtually no wind and humidity fairly high throughout the year, furthermore in the part of the city where I live (close to the historical center), there are two ancient rivers still existing .. so yes, it's pretty humid here.

Nov 10th, '13, 10:50
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 10th, '13, 10:50

William,
Perhaps you will end up providing us w/ more info, than you get from us. In your situation of constant high humidity but w/ temperature varying w/ change of seasons, you might experiment for your sake (& ours).
To be prudent, you might want to try a few of the suggestions for the storage of your tea, not risking it all w/ one method. Then you can tell us what worked best.
I would suggest that while much of your tea is contained tightly in sealed packing, you keep some loose in clay jars, so it is easy for you to use some before your targeted aging period is finished. (Also some of us think tea in ceramic containers benefits from "breathing".) It might be difficult for one to judge whether the tea has done well by being aged w/o tasting some from time to time along the way. Cheers.

Nov 10th, '13, 11:15

by William » Nov 10th, '13, 11:15

ethan wrote:William,
Perhaps you will end up providing us w/ more info, than you get from us. In your situation of constant high humidity but w/ temperature varying w/ change of seasons, you might experiment for your sake (& ours).
To be prudent, you might want to try a few of the suggestions for the storage of your tea, not risking it all w/ one method. Then you can tell us what worked best.
I would suggest that while much of your tea is contained tightly in sealed packing, you keep some loose in clay jars, so it is easy for you to use some before your targeted aging period is finished. (Also some of us think tea in ceramic containers benefits from "breathing".) It might be difficult for one to judge whether the tea has done well by being aged w/o tasting some from time to time along the way. Cheers.
Thanks for your advice Ethan!
I think I will test different types of storage with same batch of oolong, so I will be able, in the future, to compare the different results.
I think that the empirical test is the only one that will tell me objectively how to best refine and improve my oolong in my type of climate.

I will keep you informed guys, my first results will be available within a decade! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply