User avatar
Jan 26th, '14, 11:40
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by kyarazen » Jan 26th, '14, 11:40

TIM wrote:Image

Some of my favorite scent. OUD, AMBERGRIS, TONQUIN MUSK & KYARA.
Pure and simple. No time for forges and commercial dilutions.
nice samplers. :D

User avatar
Jan 26th, '14, 11:58
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by kyarazen » Jan 26th, '14, 11:58

there are definitely more agarwood/kyara lovers in this forum! stop hiding and share your stuff :)~~

User avatar
Jan 26th, '14, 14:51
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by TIM » Jan 26th, '14, 14:51

kyarazen wrote:
TIM wrote:Image

Some of my favorite scent. OUD, AMBERGRIS, TONQUIN MUSK & KYARA.
Pure and simple. No time for forges and commercial dilutions.
nice samplers. :D
Thanks Kyarazen,
Since you are in the aloeswood business. Could you teach us more about Kyara, what is Kyara and the different grades of Kyara?

Many Thanks ~ Toki

User avatar
Jan 26th, '14, 15:20
Posts: 321
Joined: Dec 29th, '09, 14:28
Location: Cazenovia, NY

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 26th, '14, 15:20

Wearing a generous swipe of Agar Aura's japanese incense inspired oud based attar called Kyoto. I love this oil and kick myself for not getting a full bottle before it sold out! It's a beautiful dance of sandalwood and oud. He somehow managed to enfleurage the scent of burning agarwood chips to create this oil. Amazing stuff! :D

User avatar
Jan 27th, '14, 02:36
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by kyarazen » Jan 27th, '14, 02:36

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Wearing a generous swipe of Agar Aura's japanese incense inspired oud based attar called Kyoto. I love this oil and kick myself for not getting a full bottle before it sold out! It's a beautiful dance of sandalwood and oud. He somehow managed to enfleurage the scent of burning agarwood chips to create this oil. Amazing stuff! :D
its quite a lovely scent, the smell of old books, an old library. an pile of old pu-erh stored with old books! :lol: :lol:

i pick up a bit more of the smoky cedarous (atlas probably?) or a tiny bit of birch tarry note than the exact scent of burning agarwood chips though.. but nevertheless still a nice concoction

User avatar
Feb 10th, '14, 22:12
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by TIM » Feb 10th, '14, 22:12


User avatar
Feb 11th, '14, 00:11
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by kyarazen » Feb 11th, '14, 00:11

four or five years ago when the chinese agarwood market was less informed, there were legends and myths of 海捞沉

prepare for more price "stirring" and hype with this "discovery"! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Mar 27th, '14, 11:19
Posts: 398
Joined: Nov 8th, '08, 20:46
Location: NYC
Contact: chingwa

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by chingwa » Mar 27th, '14, 11:19

I've enjoyed japanese "kyara" incense for a while now, and recently decided to try a small sampling of aloeswood essential oil....

WHOOOA! :lol: :lol: Not quite what I was expecting! I shared it with the wife and she ran out of the room in horror :D

Though I have to say.... it does grow on you a bit once you get over the initial reaction.

User avatar
Mar 27th, '14, 13:14
Posts: 321
Joined: Dec 29th, '09, 14:28
Location: Cazenovia, NY

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 27th, '14, 13:14

LOL...what type?

User avatar
Mar 27th, '14, 14:00
Posts: 398
Joined: Nov 8th, '08, 20:46
Location: NYC
Contact: chingwa

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by chingwa » Mar 27th, '14, 14:00

It's Agarwood (CO2 extract) from Assam India... I only paid for a few drops... good thing to! :lol:

User avatar
Mar 31st, '14, 11:48
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by kyarazen » Mar 31st, '14, 11:48

chingwa wrote:I've enjoyed japanese "kyara" incense for a while now, and recently decided to try a small sampling of aloeswood essential oil....

WHOOOA! :lol: :lol: Not quite what I was expecting! I shared it with the wife and she ran out of the room in horror :D

Though I have to say.... it does grow on you a bit once you get over the initial reaction.
HAHAHA!!! of all things you started with assam-ese oils..

i suppose yours is the typical soaked assam before they CO2-ed it?
they let the wood chips ferment and the characteristic barn-yard note appears.

i concur that the barnyardy, fermented blue berries type of smell.. albeit metallic.. it grows on you after a while!! i can take deep whiffs of it but my wife runs away on sight of the bottle or sampler

User avatar
Apr 1st, '14, 18:28
Posts: 398
Joined: Nov 8th, '08, 20:46
Location: NYC
Contact: chingwa

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by chingwa » Apr 1st, '14, 18:28

Wait, are you saying that I got a "crappy" sample? :D

I had no idea what I was buying really, I only knew that I wasn't sure what I was getting into and was only willing to spend a small amount until I was more "experienced". Well I can say now that I've been "Experienced" :)

What would you recommend as a perfume-grade aloeswood Essential Oil?

User avatar
Apr 2nd, '14, 03:19
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by kyarazen » Apr 2nd, '14, 03:19

chingwa wrote:Wait, are you saying that I got a "crappy" sample? :D

I had no idea what I was buying really, I only knew that I wasn't sure what I was getting into and was only willing to spend a small amount until I was more "experienced". Well I can say now that I've been "Experienced" :)

What would you recommend as a perfume-grade aloeswood Essential Oil?
nope, not crappy but just classical.

oud oils from indonesia and thailand are usually non offensive, cambodi styles are fruity, thick....hindi styles are often the most offensive.. barnyardy, but rich and intense.

its extremely difficult to recommend a reasonably priced perfume grade aloeswood essential oil, and many times purity is a concern.

you can either get samplers from the regular reliable brands i.e. agaraura, oudimentary and all that. or on ebay, from a nice reliable dealer called feeloud. bought something from him recently :)

User avatar
Apr 3rd, '14, 23:31
Posts: 321
Joined: Dec 29th, '09, 14:28
Location: Cazenovia, NY

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by GreenwoodStudio » Apr 3rd, '14, 23:31

I have not tried feeloud, yet :) but I can second Agaraura and Oudimentary. Their samples are pretty reasonably priced too.

I wanted to suggest trying some of your sample on cloth. On my skin oud can overwhelm me sometimes, and I actually feel like I might be invading the space of others around me. I enjoy the slower evolution and softer projection when it's applied to cloth. I apply a swipe to a small ribbon of cloth that then tie to my mala. Worn under my shirt like this the scent lasts many days and is much subtler. Worth a try :)

+ Post Reply