Sep 12th, '13, 02:53

Re: Which Variable-Temp Electric Kettle?

by HillaryClinton » Sep 12th, '13, 02:53

I emailed a guy on ebay about the Kamjoves and the stainless steal is 304 grade(Bad I believe), I think i am just going to get a normal kettle to replace the one I have thats kinda terrible.

Oh well, thanks everyone once again for the help, very much appreciated! :)

Sep 15th, '13, 18:16

by AllanK » Sep 15th, '13, 18:16

HillaryClinton wrote:So I am almost about to give up on finding a variable temp kettle that has 0 plastic in it and is not terrible qulaity.

Does anyone know if this is a good one? I returned two so far on my quest to get a kettle without plastic...now I am looking outside of my zone of sites like Amazon.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kamjove- ... 10585.html

Anyone use that? I feel like it might be my last resort....

Or this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kamjove- ... 79315.html

I can't tell much a difference.
The Cuisinart is very good but it does have one piece of plastic, the viewing window.

Sep 17th, '13, 21:41

by etorix » Sep 17th, '13, 21:41

hmm .. actually i dont really want variable-kettle, me i just want faster

my nowdead russell n hobbs was fast, my current cheapie is on its way out

Sep 21st, '13, 17:35

by AllanK » Sep 21st, '13, 17:35

HillaryClinton wrote:
edkrueger wrote:
HillaryClinton wrote:]
I know, but from what I gathered from the one I just returned the water collects on it and drips down, I know it isn't much and I am probably paranoid but cancer likes to hit my family...and I try to avoid anything possible I guess, maybe silly but yeah not gonna up the chance even if its .01 percent.
For one, I'm not sure why you think exposure to plastic is going to increase you risk or cancer at all. I'm pretty sure the Bonavita kettle's plastic is BPA free. If you are really concerned you could probably contact them and ask about BPA and other chemicals you think might cause cancer.

For two, where is your water coming from? Plastic water bottles? Tap –which has been in contact with plastic at water purification plants– through a plastic water purifier?
BPA free means absolutely nothing and was a gimmick, actually studies are finding that the thing they replaced 90% of BPA with which is BPS is just as bad or actually worse. I doubt the comapny is gonna answer me honestly, I will get a blanket reponse that says its safe because its BPA free most likely.

http://science.time.com/2011/03/08/stud ... chemicals/

http://civileats.com/2012/07/31/bpa-fre ... the-clear/

Plenty of other articles you can find with a quick google search.

Water may be something I can not help, kinda like the air I breath but I would really rather not increase the amount I put into my system, I am unsure of why this seems odd to some, I have researched pretty extensivly and yes plastics do increase cancer rates among other things, I rather limit my exposure since it kinda runs in the family.
The Clipper Ship Tea Company sells an electric kettle with no plastic below the water line. I do not know the brand. You would have to get their phone number from their Facebook page, they do not have a website. They are located in Northport, Long Island, New York. It does have plastic in the kettle, but inside above the water line. I do not know if it is variable temperature, you would have to call.

Sep 22nd, '13, 00:51

by teaisme » Sep 22nd, '13, 00:51

Imo just because its 100% stainless doesn,t make it good, there are other ways it may not be ideal, so wouldnt get too caught up on one single feature, you might regret it later

Jan 8th, '14, 12:04

by looseTman » Jan 8th, '14, 12:04

GuyWan wrote:I ordered the Bonavita variable temperature gooseneck kettle but the temperature control did not work properly so I am now waiting for the replacement to arrive. I really liked the way it felt in my hand and how it poured though.
Happy New Year GuyWan,
How are things going with your Bonavita variable temperature gooseneck kettle?

Feb 4th, '14, 11:11

by tea girl » Feb 4th, '14, 11:11

Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to tea. I think a variable temp kettle would be a good idea for me because I got a blast of painful steam trying to take the water's temp this morning.

My concern about a variable temp kettle is: Does the water need to come to 212 and then cool? From what I have read, the only kettle which does that is the Zojirushi. However, it has a teflon lining.

I don't use any teflon products. In 2015 products containing teflon and/or PFOA will need to be eliminated.

Thank you

Feb 4th, '14, 16:33

by Ursinos » Feb 4th, '14, 16:33

tea girl wrote:Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to tea. I think a variable temp kettle would be a good idea for me because I got a blast of painful steam trying to take the water's temp this morning.

My concern about a variable temp kettle is: Does the water need to come to 212 and then cool? From what I have read, the only kettle which does that is the Zojirushi. However, it has a teflon lining.

I don't use any teflon products. In 2015 products containing teflon and/or PFOA will need to be eliminated.

Thank you
I'm kind of new to this kind of thing myself, but from what I've read, it's not essential for the water to come to actual boiling at all (unless that's the temp you need for the tea). In fact, I've read certain articles saying it's better NOT to fully boil the water because of how that can alter the quality of the water (boiling depletes oxygen levels in the water, especially if you are boiling it repeatedly), which will alter the taste of the tea. Boiling also causes dissolved solids in the water to precipitate out, or become more concentrated, also altering the final taste of the tea.

So, unless you are in an area where boiling water is needed to remove evil nasties that will make you sick.... I don't think you need to worry about that feature.

Feb 4th, '14, 23:28

by tea girl » Feb 4th, '14, 23:28

Thank you Ursinos! That is very good to know. Do you use a variable temp kettle?

I did some reading on this forum today and learned some people pour the water in their cup to let it cool. I did that today and it worked well. But, I was under the impression it was necessary to pour the water over the tea. Is that necessary ?

Thanks for your reply :D

Feb 5th, '14, 08:40

by JRS22 » Feb 5th, '14, 08:40

I use the variable temp kettle sold by Adagio (the sponsor of TeaChat). Sometimes the tea needs a temperature that doesn't correspond to the presets. For example, there's a preset for 180° so when I need 175° I pour the water into a water cooler/server and then pour it over the tea.

Feb 5th, '14, 10:45

by tea girl » Feb 5th, '14, 10:45

Interesting. I have been considering that model.

My white tea needs to have 175 degree water.

Thanks a lot!

Feb 5th, '14, 17:38

by Ursinos » Feb 5th, '14, 17:38

tea girl wrote:Thank you Ursinos! That is very good to know. Do you use a variable temp kettle?

I did some reading on this forum today and learned some people pour the water in their cup to let it cool. I did that today and it worked well. But, I was under the impression it was necessary to pour the water over the tea. Is that necessary ?

I WANT a variable temperature kettle, but no, I do not have one yet. Unfortunately its an item I'm going to have to save up for (especially if I want to get on that keeps the water at temperature for a while). It's not a huge big deal for me since mostly I'm drinking blacks and oolongs, which USUALLY seem to work well at boiling temperatures.

I think the thing about putting the water in the cup first servers a double purpose when you come down to it. it lets the water cool a bit, but also prewarms the cup so the cold ceramic doesn't leech the temperature TOO much for drinking :D (again, I'm a newb, so I might be off base )

Feb 6th, '14, 10:39

by tea girl » Feb 6th, '14, 10:39

Ursinos wrote:
tea girl wrote:Thank you Ursinos! That is very good to know. Do you use a variable temp kettle?

I WANT a variable temperature kettle, but no, I do not have one yet. Unfortunately its an item I'm going to have to save up for (especially if I want to get on that keeps the water at temperature for a while). It's not a huge big deal for me since mostly I'm drinking blacks and oolongs, which USUALLY seem to work well at boiling temperatures.

I think the thing about putting the water in the cup first servers a double purpose when you come down to it. it lets the water cool a bit, but also prewarms the cup so the cold ceramic doesn't leech the temperature TOO much for drinking :D (again, I'm a newb, so I might be off base )
Hi Ursinos,

That is a good way of looking at it. I usually steep my white tea at 175. Yesterday I steeped at 180 and it was much darker than usual. Temperature seems to be critical to white tea. Fortunately this is Valentine's month. We ordered the Bonavita as a gift for each other. My husband will get more use out of it than I but I will be able to regulate the temp more easily.

Feb 7th, '14, 06:58

by DMTea » Feb 7th, '14, 06:58

I just picked up a bonavita kettle yesterday and first impressionsare good.

Feb 7th, '14, 14:57
Scrolling: fixed

by Bob_McBob » Feb 7th, '14, 14:57

For anyone who's interested, the Bonavita variable temperature kettle is for sale on Massdrop (a group buy site) for what should be $74.99 + $5 shipping in the US.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bonavita-g ... ric-kettle

+ Post Reply