How to brew Sencha at work

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 10th, '14, 00:46

How to brew Sencha at work

by marklasta » Mar 10th, '14, 00:46

I'm just wondering how to have Sencha at work.

To be honest, I was thinking about something like a thermos.

Already tried once but, at the end of the day, my Sencha gets darkned.

Any suggestions ?

Mar 10th, '14, 01:48

Re: How to Sencha at work

by debunix » Mar 10th, '14, 01:48

The tea continues to change after brewing, and the changes in delicate white and green teas are usually not favorable to holding in a thermos all day. I have occasionally experimented with cool-brewed sencha in the summertime--drop sencha into cold water, stick in fridge, wait a few hours, enjoy--and this might be nice at work. But for hot sencha at work I think it has to be brewed on the spot, either by bringing a thermos of hot water or a kettle to heat some water.

Even with my kettles right at hand at work, I rarely brew sencha because it's too easy to get distracted and screw it up, and good sencha deserves better than that.

Mar 10th, '14, 03:36

How to Sencha at work

by marklasta » Mar 10th, '14, 03:36

Uhm, I'd like to try cool-brewed sencha. Where can I find a good tutorial for this ?

Mar 10th, '14, 08:25

by Alex » Mar 10th, '14, 08:25

Havent tried it but thought this looked interesting!

http://hojotea.com/en/posts-77/

Mar 10th, '14, 10:35

How to Sencha at work

by debunix » Mar 10th, '14, 10:35

We've had several threads on cold brewing--they get very active in the summer. Search here for topic titles with cold in them and you'll find them. Sencha is mentioned often.

Mar 10th, '14, 12:10
Mod/Admin
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 10th, '14, 12:10

I am moving this to Green Tea forum where it will be more at home ... this is a specific product/vendor review topic. It was a toss-up between Green Tea or Teaware and Accessories. I will leave a shadow here for a couple days ...

Mar 10th, '14, 16:34
Mod/Admin
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 10th, '14, 16:34

Alex wrote:Havent tried it but thought this looked interesting!

:shock: Sounds extremely different ... using boiling water for green tea for 10 minutes. I realize he is making a concentrate and only 5 grams per 200 ml ... but still :shock:

He says "boiling water" ... does he mean boiled water. Judging from the photo, I assume the boiled water is poured over the tea.

I am almost curious enough to attempt this ...

Of course, reading the Hojo site is like reading TeaScience Magazine. A lot of articles the likes of which are not found anywhere else.

Mar 13th, '14, 07:01

Re: How to brew Sencha at work

by sebpassion » Mar 13th, '14, 07:01

Hello,

At work i have a houhin that holds about 190ml and a fitting teacup.
Then i fill hot water from a dispenser into my thermos flask and bring it to my workplace. My thermos flask holds about 550ml so i can make 3 steeps of quality sencha. I use the teacup as a yuzamashi and pour it directly into the houhin. Try it :D

Regards,

Sebpassion

Mar 14th, '14, 08:20

by Alex » Mar 14th, '14, 08:20

Chip wrote:
Alex wrote:Havent tried it but thought this looked interesting!

:shock: Sounds extremely different ... using boiling water for green tea for 10 minutes. I realize he is making a concentrate and only 5 grams per 200 ml ... but still :shock:

He says "boiling water" ... does he mean boiled water. Judging from the photo, I assume the boiled water is poured over the tea.

I am almost curious enough to attempt this ...

Of course, reading the Hojo site is like reading TeaScience Magazine. A lot of articles the likes of which are not found anywhere else.

Yeah I'm tempted to try it. Although may just brew really strong sencha at 60c instead of 100c

+ Post Reply