Thur 2/07/08 How many times do you start a tea each day?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How many times do you start a tea each day?

One
8%
Two
10%
Three
40%
Four
20%
Five
15%
Six
3%
My gosh, seven
3%
More than 7,
3%

Total votes: 40

Feb 7th, '08, 20:34

by caradrake » Feb 7th, '08, 20:34

I wasn't terribly impressed with my first cup of miyabi. Maybe it's just because I'm still getting over a cold, but my first impression was that it smelled like seafood!

I think that this tea is definitely an acquired taste. Now that I am working on my second cup, I am beginning to notice more of a fragrant aroma. The second steeping doesn't have the bitter aftertaste that the first did.

I'll try it again in a week or two, once we've gotten over this congestion and I can give it the attention it deserves.

Feb 7th, '08, 20:40

by Ladytiger » Feb 7th, '08, 20:40

I totally disoriented myself when I made Foxtrot. I was trying to make a single cup, measured 8 oz. of water, poured it into the fabulous ingenuitea, but then added two teapons of Foxtrot. Well, can't waste good tea, so I made iced tea out of it for tomorrow and I'm now drinking Peppermint tea from Wellcat Herbs.

Feb 7th, '08, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 7th, '08, 20:52

caradrake wrote:I wasn't terribly impressed with my first cup of miyabi. Maybe it's just because I'm still getting over a cold, but my first impression was that it smelled like seafood!

I think that this tea is definitely an acquired taste. Now that I am working on my second cup, I am beginning to notice more of a fragrant aroma. The second steeping doesn't have the bitter aftertaste that the first did.

I'll try it again in a week or two, once we've gotten over this congestion and I can give it the attention it deserves.
The Miyabi is potent and care goes into its brewing for certain, but it should not taste bitter if brewed properly. It will taste grassy with a nice balance of astringency and sweetness.

It is a difficult "new tea" if you are dealing with a cold at the same time.

Each successive steeping should reveal hidden levels of flavor.
Last edited by Chip on Feb 7th, '08, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 7th, '08, 21:00

by Wesli » Feb 7th, '08, 21:00

So I tried the Den's Organic Sencha. I tell you, I am very disappointed. Most of Den's tea is great, but they fail when it comes to the organic sencha. I know there must be better organic sencha out there.

Feb 7th, '08, 21:16

by Chip » Feb 7th, '08, 21:16

Fukamushi Dynasty wrote:So I tried the Den's Organic Sencha. I tell you, I am very disappointed. Most of Den's tea is great, but they fail when it comes to the organic sencha. I know there must be better organic sencha out there.
There is, Fuka!

WOW, when I compare yesterday to today. Yesterday, nothing was working for me tea wise, basically, it sucked.

Today everything was incredibly good!!!

I am finishing my TeaDay with a new batch of Karigae Gyokuro and matcha. Man, it is really good. I blended more matcha in so it has some punch to it. I also love the evolution of a session with this blend, dominated by matcha early, then the karigane takes over later steeps. I am on my third steep, a real transitional steep.

GREAT TeaDay. Hope everyone else's was as good.

Feb 7th, '08, 22:23

by Space Samurai » Feb 7th, '08, 22:23

I'm a monkey.

Yesterday more matcha arrived, and again my self restraing lasted only till the next day, but I had a good reason to open it up. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to compare three different types of matcha against each other.

I started with some Rishi golden yunnan, I am less and less enthused with this tea. Then some Nakai's Uji matcha, then Den's Shizuoka matcha miyabi. A fukamushicah, a houji kukicha, and now some masala chai.

Feb 7th, '08, 23:08

by Wesli » Feb 7th, '08, 23:08

I continue to smother myself in sencha with some fuka-midori. Yum. I think I might be starting to get better.

Feb 7th, '08, 23:42

by caradrake » Feb 7th, '08, 23:42

Chip wrote:It will taste grassy with a nice balance of astringency and sweetness.
Now that I think on it, what I called bitterness, actually probably should have been labeled astringent.

Thanks for improving my vocabulary!

Feb 8th, '08, 01:24

by Chip » Feb 8th, '08, 01:24

The last TeaWord...

A little astringency adds balance, too much makes it bitter.

You are welcome Cara!

Another fun day on TeaDay, some new faces, great tea, interesting TeaChat. The poll results were very clear, 3 is the winner by a landslide, interesting.

And we can do it all over again tomorrow!

Oh, a new record, at least 54 posts in TeaDay today. In the course of moderating the forum today, I swear there were over 100 posts. I wonder if I can find out what the all time record is for one day. It was crazy today, but I had had a lot of fun checking out all the posts.
Last edited by Chip on Feb 8th, '08, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 8th, '08, 01:27

by Space Samurai » Feb 8th, '08, 01:27

Finished the day with some Republic of Tea Orchid Oolong that the "minister of education" gave me--I specify it was given to me only because I don't want people to think I actually paid for something like that.

If you want my opinion, don't bother with it