Jan 23rd, '15, 08:22

New 'portable' electrical kettle

by Rui » Jan 23rd, '15, 08:22

For those, like myself in the office, who have problems with getting hot water for their teas have a look at this:

http://miito.de/

Although it is still not available I have already emailed them to let me know when the product comes out.

Jan 23rd, '15, 12:41

Re: New 'portable' electrical kettle

by Evan Draper » Jan 23rd, '15, 12:41

I don't get it. You heat a rod and it heats the water? If you're concerned about "heating more water than you need," how can you have any assurance that you aren't "heating the rod more than you need," or more likely, much less...?
But at least I know what it's supposed to look like:
Jasmina believes in functionality with the addition of fairy tails.

Jan 23rd, '15, 12:42

by Evan Draper » Jan 23rd, '15, 12:42

But I really do feel for you poor sods who aren't even allowed to have a kettle in your office.

Jan 23rd, '15, 20:52
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Jan 23rd, '15, 20:52

actually, it is a very cool idea. induction is fantastically efficient. I would be concerned about cracking teaware though, as the teaware is between the bits that get the hottest.

regarding people heating more water than they need, at my office people fill a 1.7 liter kettle full to make a cup of tea. Which is a massive waste. I have tried to tell them not to fill the kettle, but ....

At my desk, I have my own kettle, and though it starts full, I am continuing to heat and drink through the day, so a lot of the energy is conserved. At home, I use an induction kettle which is very low energy and I only put enough for a few small pots (not more than 500 ml at a time)

Heating a small quantity at the time it is needed, as well as using induction to do it sounds like real good idea. Not sure how well it will play with the want to use charcoal to heat their tetsubin crowd, but for a large amount of PG Tips pyramid drinkers, it is probably a really good solution.

Jan 26th, '15, 10:21

by Evan Draper » Jan 26th, '15, 10:21

TomVerlain wrote:At home, I use an induction kettle which is very low energy and I only put enough for a few small pots (not more than 500 ml at a time)
That's what I'm saying--couldn't you just use an induction kettle? The induction feature creates the efficiency, whereas I only see drawbacks of the "stick design". Reminds me of the early Priuses, where so much of their fuel efficiency came from those wheel-well covers. You might have gotten much better efficiency gains by installing wheel-well covers on your existing car.

But I guess the anecdote about the clods at your office is telling--they won't be caring about precise water temperature either, so maybe we should be thinking of this as an "institutional" product.

Jan 26th, '15, 12:44

by MEversbergII » Jan 26th, '15, 12:44

Evan Draper wrote:But I really do feel for you poor sods who aren't even allowed to have a kettle in your office.
We're allowed kettles where I'm at. However, the DoD - in it's infinite wisdom - has outlawed personal electronic devices like heaters and Kurigs kept at one's desk. Thus, any kettle I get would have to be kept in the mess, and I am definitely not letting anyone cross-contaminate my spring water with the tap. Thus, I use a microwave and a measuring cup. This is also what I do at home, too, because the practice has stuck with me over the last few years since getting into tea.

This little device does look pretty nifty, though. Maybe a bit easier to tuck away than a kettle for people who are short on space. 10/10, would lose the stick thing.

M.

Jan 26th, '15, 13:40

by Evan Draper » Jan 26th, '15, 13:40

Jan 26th, '15, 13:53

by MEversbergII » Jan 26th, '15, 13:53

12/10, would burn the hell out of my hand, arm, and everything else upon every use.

M.

Jan 29th, '15, 02:36

by Yannick » Jan 29th, '15, 02:36

Splendid! I can use those in my car and spill hot water everywhere if I have to brake suddenly! :D

Jan 29th, '15, 13:20

by Evan Draper » Jan 29th, '15, 13:20

Yannick wrote:Splendid! I can use those in my car and spill hot water everywhere if I have to brake suddenly! :D
No, that's what these are for.

+ Post Reply