Turkish Tea Blog

Have a Tea Blog or Tea Vlog? Post a topic here.

Feb 11th, '15, 11:54

Turkish Tea Blog

by caycek » Feb 11th, '15, 11:54

Hi There,
Do you know the most tea consumer country in the world is Turkey!
We have a tea blog in Turkish: http://caycek.com/

Feb 12th, '15, 09:06

Re: Turkish Tea Blog

by BioHorn » Feb 12th, '15, 09:06

It would be quite nice to see reviews of Turkish teas. Thank you for sharing!
Anyone else out there have Turkish teas in their collection?

Feb 12th, '15, 18:53

by bob » Feb 12th, '15, 18:53

Yes, they drink a lot of quite strong tea in Turkey. But I didn't notice many different varieties when I visited Istanbul a couple of years ago...
Istanbul caj.jpg
Istanbul caj.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
I brought some tea home, I'll try to find the box...

Feb 12th, '15, 22:35

by BioHorn » Feb 12th, '15, 22:35

bob wrote:Yes, they drink a lot of quite strong tea in Turkey. But I didn't notice many different varieties when I visited Istanbul a couple of years ago...
Istanbul caj.jpg
I brought some tea home, I'll try to find the box...
Thanks! We were in Turkey two years ago. Trying to pick a chai in a big grocery store was bewildering! It took up an entire row! There must have been 20-30 kinds.

If you have them, please let us know more specifics.

Feb 13th, '15, 07:06

by bob » Feb 13th, '15, 07:06

I found the tea and brewed it this morning the same way I usually do with black tea: ~2 teaspoons per 250 ml and 3 min steeping time:
Hazer Baba tea 1.jpg
Hazer Baba tea 1.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Hazer Baba tea 2.jpg
Hazer Baba tea 2.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Hazer Baba tea 3.jpg
Hazer Baba tea 3.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
The tea was a bit stale, this small quantity was sitting in this big container for a few years. The taste was mild and mellow, no bitterness/astringency, no maltyness, no obvious sweetness... but it did have an obvious taste/aroma that I find very hard to describe, it is a sort of fruity/floral thing, with a hint of sourness. I also find the same taste in Japanese Dokodemosora black tea.

I think this tea is very well suited to be prepared in Turkish style (i.e. very strong - see the instructions on the box).

Regarding the different varieties available: it seems I should look around more. I only visited a few smaller supermarkets and this box seemed the best thing available. But I didn't know then that they grow their own tea in Turkey, I thought it is imported and I was just looking for a simple tea souvenir...

To the OP: I'm sorry to derail your thread a little. It would be very interesting to read about the Turkish-made teas on your blog... Hopefully Google translate can do a good enough job...

+ Post Reply