Little question about grandpa style

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 13th, '15, 15:57

Little question about grandpa style

by Erawiel » Mar 13th, '15, 15:57

I saw this expression for the first time on A Tea Addict's Journal. From what I've collected, you just pour over loose leafs that are covering the bottom of the mug, and fill it back up as you go, right? I mostly read people mentioning using granpa style for oolongs and pu-erhs.

Now, are there teas that you would not recommand drinking this way? If so why?

Mar 13th, '15, 16:31

Re: Little question about grandpa style

by kiwi303 » Mar 13th, '15, 16:31

I don't know about "Grandpa" style, but that is not too different to the normal way of drinking tea in many parts of china where water purity is not up to drinking water straight from the tap. The usual thing is to use a tea flask, it's just like a personal drink bottle with a filter top.

Drop some tea leaves in it, fill with hot water and sip from it as the day goes by, when empty, just refill with hot water at a dispenser. The university had hot water stations on each floor of their buildings, the metro stations had hot water dispensers, the airports, the malls, no cold water fountains other than in the very high end malls, but pretty much everywhere had hot water available.

I suck at navigating Taobao, I always had a friend or student do it for me, but "Tea Bottle" brought up THIS:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4337 ... .18.ACDXxg
in the search results.

It's a bit different in that you have a diffuser holding the tea/fruit/whatever rather than just a filter screwing into the neck keeping the tea leaves in the bottom of the bottle,

For that sort of refill where the tea stays in the hot water all day, you want big whole leaves which release slowly. Shredded teabag style leaves release too fast and make the first bottle WAY too strong and the rest far too weak. Bud and 2 leaf type teas would be best. I know you can get 2 leaf only teas for that sort of brew, picked after the first row of pickers have stripped the buds for the very fine bud only teas. Don't use fine needle or bud only teas for this either, but for the bottom of a cup where the cup gets emptied relatively quickly they should be fine.

I use a modified system here in NZ now I am back from china, I brew up leaves in a 1.25 litre coffee plunger/french press, it can take half an hour or more to finish the plunger, and the same leaves can make a second steep later.

+ Post Reply