Mar 4th, '15, 11:04

Infrared/Halogen hotplates

by Candima » Mar 4th, '15, 11:04

Hey!

I've been looking at infrared/halogen hotplates for a while now, and wanted to ask if anyone has one they would particularly recommend (or not recommend). Amazon reviews are pretty mixed, and not tea-specific...and in Germany (where I am) infrared doesn't seem to be so popular, mostly just induction. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Mar 4th, '15, 11:14

Re: Infrared/Halogen hotplates

by BioHorn » Mar 4th, '15, 11:14

This topic was recently discussed in a meandering thread here:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1&start=45

We discussed a very inexpensive ($45 on sale) infrared hotplate by Duxtop. Be forwarned in order for it to work, it needs a grounded three pronged outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/DUXTOP-Portable-C ... nk21832-20

Thanks to Kyarazen for educating us on the benefits of these heat units.

Mar 4th, '15, 11:17

by kyarazen » Mar 4th, '15, 11:17

Candima wrote:Hey!

I've been looking at infrared/halogen hotplates for a while now, and wanted to ask if anyone has one they would particularly recommend (or not recommend). Amazon reviews are pretty mixed, and not tea-specific...and in Germany (where I am) infrared doesn't seem to be so popular, mostly just induction. Any tips are greatly appreciated!
germany? the local voltage 230v.. which means you can use this!
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=39304999139

very well designed. has a built in fan to cool the base/exterior and prevent lamp from burning out. after stripping open the bulb inside's actually spec for 2000w output but capped/used at 1500w, which gives it excellent longevity. auto-cut-off in 20 minutes to prevent overboiling unattended, but if you want longer operation (hold down and set, i.e. 1hr, 2hr heating etc). small heating element size so if you have a nice kettle size all the heat goes into the kettle and not into the surroundings.

the only down side, the fan has a whirr to it.

Mar 4th, '15, 11:21

by kyarazen » Mar 4th, '15, 11:21

if you have a small kettle or a gongfucha type of shadiao kettle, you may be interested in considering something like hario beam heater. at 230V you can consider upgrading the original 220V/110v(400/350watt) bulb to a 230-240v (500watt) bulb for a good intense heating.

it is such a gentle heater that i've been heating water in all sorts of vessels, including old antique tokoname teapots.. the risk of breaking is not very high with gentle heating as the temp increase is gradual, unlike hitting a pot with hot water immediately :)

Mar 4th, '15, 11:22

by kyarazen » Mar 4th, '15, 11:22

BioHorn wrote:This topic was recently discussed in a meandering thread here:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1&start=45

We discussed a very inexpensive ($45 on sale) infrared hotplate by Duxtop. Be forwarned in order for it to work, it needs a grounded three pronged outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/DUXTOP-Portable-C ... nk21832-20

Thanks to Kyarazen for educating us on the benefits of these heat units.
:oops: :oops: not necessary to thank me though.. halogen heaters have been out there for quite a while.. except that me.. being a bit more talkative online, tend to mention it a bit more often :P

Mar 4th, '15, 12:11

by AT333 » Mar 4th, '15, 12:11

kyarazen wrote:if you have a small kettle or a gongfucha type of shadiao kettle, you may be interested in considering something like hario beam heater. at 230V you can consider upgrading the original 220V/110v(400/350watt) bulb to a 230-240v (500watt) bulb for a good intense heating.

it is such a gentle heater that i've been heating water in all sorts of vessels, including old antique tokoname teapots.. the risk of breaking is not very high with gentle heating as the temp increase is gradual, unlike hitting a pot with hot water immediately :)
Thanks kyarazen for sharing your expertise. Do you know where can I buy this online? :mrgreen:

Mar 4th, '15, 13:37

by iGo » Mar 4th, '15, 13:37

The Hario Beam heater is available in the States at the following
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/bgsn-350u
among other places.

It's a bit pricey at over $325.

Just got the Duxtop in the above comment and used it this morning with my testsubin; it worked fine.

Mar 4th, '15, 13:57

by BW85 » Mar 4th, '15, 13:57

iGo wrote:The Hario Beam heater is available in the States at the following
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/bgsn-350u
among other places.

It's a bit pricey at over $325.

Just got the Duxtop in the above comment and used it this morning with my testsubin; it worked fine.
I've been very happy with the Duxtop myself

Mar 4th, '15, 15:23

by Candima » Mar 4th, '15, 15:23

Thank you for the comments and suggestions!

Unfortunately for me, and my European outlets it sounds like the Duxtop and Hario Beam won't work over here.

Thanks Kyarazen for the link to the Chinese page too- something like that would be perfect! Now I just need to figure out how to read it :|
I saw some great ones in Taiwan, and now I regret not lugging one back to Germany with me!

Mar 14th, '15, 09:27

by Candima » Mar 14th, '15, 09:27

I had ordered this infrared hotplate since it was the only one on amazon that had a settable temperature:
http://www.amazon.de/2000-Infrarotkochp ... kochplatte
A few people claimed that it was quiet...it was not, and had a terribly annoying and loud beep every time you tried to adjust the temperature, timer or power setting. Anyways...I wouldn't recommend it for any quiet tea sittings...I sent it back the day after it arrived. Due to the lack of options, I might just get an electric one...

Mar 14th, '15, 10:26

by AT333 » Mar 14th, '15, 10:26

I use charcoal often to boil water for tea. The water taste sweeter and the presence of charcoal fire is calming. Infrared/halogen has the same properties as charcoal heat but lack the zen. That having said, please don't use charcoal indoor due to gas poisoning and sorry for OT :mrgreen:

Mar 17th, '15, 05:08

by Candima » Mar 17th, '15, 05:08

AT333 wrote:I use charcoal often to boil water for tea. The water taste sweeter and the presence of charcoal fire is calming. Infrared/halogen has the same properties as charcoal heat but lack the zen. That having said, please don't use charcoal indoor due to gas poisoning and sorry for OT :mrgreen:
Yeah...I know coals are the best...but it's too cold here to drink tea outside or with windows open most of the year. I've ordered a stove from Petr Novak...but it may take a while to get it anyways, and we drink so much tea that we were looking for another option...but we can't seem to find an infrared either!

+ Post Reply