Thes Du Japon - Recommendations

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 2nd, '14, 21:57

Re: Thes Du Japon - Recommendations

by sherubtse » Nov 2nd, '14, 21:57

Nov 3rd, '14, 08:25

by chingwa » Nov 3rd, '14, 08:25

For Fukamushi, I've tried the following...

Kagoshima Sencha, Tsuyu Hikari
Yame Sencha, Yabukita, light fired

which I thought were really good!

I've also tried the...

Sencha de miyazaki, Minami Sayaka
Which I thought was just OK.

But I'm more partial to futsumushi personally.

Nov 20th, '14, 14:52

Thes Du Japon - Recommendations

by Sasameyuki » Nov 20th, '14, 14:52

Meanwhile I tried two futsumushi sencha from Thes Du Japon:

- Sencha from Hon.yama, Tamakawa, Yamakai cultivar (SNC-19-008-050):
Oh. My. God. The fragrance of the dry leaf was already so nice! The first session I managed to almost ruin my (expensive) brew: I used charcoal filtered water (which actually gives good results for the majority of my teas) and a glazed Petr Novak yaki shiboridashi. Against my expectations the result wasn't exactly bad but it also wasn't wow.
The next session I used bottled mineral water and my Shigaraki kyusu. I paid attention to use not too hot water. BANG! Unbelievable, the tea tasted so fabulously sweet and delicate! Very long aftertaste; also the empty cup stayed incredibly fragrant for a long time. I kept on sniffing it like some drug addict, really incredible. I have just enough tea left for one more session... Should I buy more? I still haven't decided, it is really expensive but so far it was a beautiful experience.

- Sencha from Osaka, Shizuoka, Sôfû cultivar (SNC-19-015-050):
I actually didn't order this one. It was a sample kindly provided by TDJ (merci beaucoup Florent!). By the way this tea comes from 小坂 (Osaka with a short O), not from 大阪 (Osaka with a long O).
The fragrance of the dry leaf is simply awesome, perhaps even more so than the previous tea. I had never even heard of the Sofu cultivar so I was very eager to try this one.
In my humble opinion it's a very special rather unique tea. Almost no astringency and a tiny little bit of sweetness. So what it so special then? Well, the brew had a fragrance that very strongly reminded me of incense. I've never encountered this in a tea before. It's a fascinating tea but personally I'm not so fond of the "incense" perfume so I will not buy this one.

I can't wait to try the other sencha that I ordered from TDJ! I will post here afterwards

Mar 6th, '15, 18:59

by shinobicha » Mar 6th, '15, 18:59

Chingwa,
Which of these did you like better? Do you remember much about them:
- Sencha from Miyazaki, Oku Yutaka cultivar (100g/$24)
- Organic sencha from Shimizu, Kanaya-Midori (100g/$18)

I recently ordered (back in Dec) several teas from TDJ. They are always top notch! (Sorry, going off the top of my head for some of the prices...)
Okawa-Oma (Yabukita 100g/$17)
Yokosawa from Honyama (100g/$32)
Kamairicha (Fuji-Kaori 100g/$17? Out of stock)
Tamaryokucha (Benifuuki $100g/$18?)
Kogane-midori (GOLD-colored sencha - I believe it is an albino sencha! 50g/$40! But such a cool tea)
Genmaicha from Honyama (100g/$12 - best example of this tea I've had)
Yama no Ibuki (100g/$15? re-order, very good kabuse-like sencha)

Oh, speaking of which... little secret: fill your cart, then switch to Yen...you will save 30%-40% on the prices by paying in Yen!

Mar 6th, '15, 23:56

by chingwa » Mar 6th, '15, 23:56

Well I'm not typically a fan of organic sencha in general. The organic from shimizu I've had twice. It's pretty good for organic, especially if you're in the mood for something different... it had a strange "dry" flavor on the tongue.

The oku yutaka also had a "different" flavor... and... well I don't know how else to describe it. :D I think I've had this one a couple times as well. I wou;dn't necessarily go out of my way for these but if you need a little something to pad-out an order, they're both pretty good :)

and you weren't kidding man about the yen prices... holy smokes! I hope it stays that way until my next order! Great time to pick up the Toubettou!

Mar 9th, '15, 17:08

by shinobicha » Mar 9th, '15, 17:08

Yeah, well, I could go for the Tobetto...but with the slightly-less-expensive Yamakai from Tsukiji (I think $32/50g rather than over $50), I was planning to go for that instead.

I sampled the Amakusa kamairicha...highly recommend, but not if you're going to buy a lot and it sells out before I can get 100g. :wink:
It was very different for a kamakiricha...almost a cross between that an a tamaryokucha, and a very high quality.

Anyway, yeah, I was trying to pick one last tea, and couldn't decide. If you have any stand-out recommendations, let me know.

that's why I am afraid to post anything...but I just couldn't not share the knowledge...they do say on their site they care about prices remaining consistent...

Mar 27th, '15, 15:58

by Balthazar » Mar 27th, '15, 15:58

Is it no longer possible to place orders in Yen?

Nevermind, just figured it out. And oh boy, that must have lowered the prices with around 30%

Mar 29th, '15, 01:15

by chingwa » Mar 29th, '15, 01:15

I keep tracking the yen prices waiting for them to drop even more... Im' due for a new order soon after all...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jun 8th, '15, 12:21

by TORamarn » Jun 8th, '15, 12:21

Just wondering if any of you have tried their matcha? Seems to me that good matcha is so difficult to find. I found that most of the the (supposed to be) good ones are really loaded with umami. :roll:

Jun 8th, '15, 12:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 8th, '15, 12:34

TORamarn wrote:Just wondering if any of you have tried their matcha? Seems to me that good matcha is so difficult to find. I found that most of the the (supposed to be) good ones are really loaded with umami. :roll:
Are you looking for matcha with low/inexistent presence of umami?

Jun 10th, '15, 11:20

by TORamarn » Jun 10th, '15, 11:20

William wrote:

Yes, I guess I'm looking for low umami matcha - unless there's any that has nice and interesting character of umami (whatever that means). :roll:

I've tried some of their sencha and really like it. Just wondering if their matcha is as good as their sencha.

I think most matcha in the market are blended to please the majority of consumers - and that might be the reason why they're so boring.

Jun 11th, '15, 04:24

by William » Jun 11th, '15, 04:24

TORamarn wrote:
William wrote:

Yes, I guess I'm looking for low umami matcha - unless there's any that has nice and interesting character of umami (whatever that means). :roll:

I've tried some of their sencha and really like it. Just wondering if their matcha is as good as their sencha.

I think most matcha in the market are blended to please the majority of consumers - and that might be the reason why they're so boring.
I found the matcha sold by Akira (hojotea.com), to be without the typical umami character .. I actually like it and regularly drink it! You could try it ordering 20 grams. :)

I also found the various matcha sold by horaido (http://www.kyoto-teramachi.or.jp/horaido/greentea.htm) to not be heavily sweet .. they are all quite good and not too pricey!

Regards.

Jun 11th, '15, 08:32

by Gregg » Jun 11th, '15, 08:32

After drinking mainly Chinese tea for the last two years I ordered:
Sencha from Mariko, Kondo-wase cultivar
Sencha from Honyama Takayama, pesticide-free
Tamaryokucha from Ureshino, Saemidori cultivar

The tea arrived quickly, I hope to start enjoying it this weekend. I happily drank the Hojo cool-aid and will try one of his pots along with my gaiwan. My girlfriend is partial to Japanese teas so we will be playing/experimenting with larger amounts than I might feel comfortable with (at the price) but education is expensive.

After placing my order Florent sent an email with some helpful extra instructions.

Gregg

Jun 11th, '15, 12:44

by TORamarn » Jun 11th, '15, 12:44

William wrote:
I found the matcha sold by Akira (hojotea.com), to be without the typical umami character .. I actually like it and regularly drink it! You could try it ordering 20 grams. :)

I also found the various matcha sold by horaido (http://www.kyoto-teramachi.or.jp/horaido/greentea.htm) to not be heavily sweet .. they are all quite good and not too pricey!

Regards.
I've tried Horaido's Miyako-no-mukashi and Aya-no-mori and quite like their "calming" taste, though it's not as complex as Koyamaen's. I found that even their entry-level matcha is still not as strong or bitter as I thought.

I've tried many of Hojo's sencha but never their matcha. I'll give it a try.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Regards

Jun 11th, '15, 17:40

by William » Jun 11th, '15, 17:40

TORamarn wrote: I've tried Horaido's Miyako-no-mukashi and Aya-no-mori and quite like their "calming" taste, though it's not as complex as Koyamaen's. I found that even their entry-level matcha is still not as strong or bitter as I thought.

I've tried many of Hojo's sencha but never their matcha. I'll give it a try.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Regards
You are welcome! :)

+ Post Reply