Brewing Gyokuro in a Gaiwan?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 30th, '15, 13:06

Brewing Gyokuro in a Gaiwan?

by NateHevens » Jun 30th, '15, 13:06

I'm picking up a Gaiwan set from Tea Drunk this Thursday, and I would like to try brewing Gyokuro in it. I already have a shiboridash from O-Cha, and that's of course my go-to for Gyokuro, but I'd like to do something different this time, and since I'm getting the Gaiwan set...

So what are the best methods for brewing Gyokuro in a Gaiwan?

Jun 30th, '15, 14:18

Re: Brewing Gyokuro in a Gaiwan?

by debunix » Jun 30th, '15, 14:18

I don't know about the best brewing method for someone else, but I have brewed up gyokuro in a gaiwan, though I most often use a shiboridashi. The key points for me are that the gyokuro is reasonably forgiving of slight variations in brewing proportions and timing, so that a slightly slower pour from a gaiwan (vs a shiboridashi or a kyusu) is not a problem.

My time & temperature preferences are not quite traditional--I tend to use less leaf, and while brewing up gyoku-hou from O-Cha recently I've discovered I prefer a hotter start--170 degrees--for the first infusions, and do several at that temp before I increase the temperature. It's the same for gaiwan, shibo, or kyusu.

Jul 1st, '15, 00:08
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 1st, '15, 00:08

Tried to brew in gaiwan before, more difficult to pour, i.e. not to get too much leaf inside cup. But can compare only to shiboridashi made by Petr Novak, which is quite easy to use. Try same way as you use shibo for first time, perhaps start pouring a bit earlier. I'm same as debunix, started to like more hot water/less leaf for most teas. So best brewing method can only be achieved by experimenting.

Jul 4th, '15, 07:58

by Alex » Jul 4th, '15, 07:58

Love brewing it in a Gaiwan. Key is to pour out of the corner of the opening and then rotate/tilt the gaiwan once the pour slows so the tea is passing through a less clogged section of the gap.

Jul 4th, '15, 15:05

by NateHevens » Jul 4th, '15, 15:05

What temperatures do y'all use and for how long do you let each infusion steep? Also, do you do a first rinse before starting the infusion?

Jul 4th, '15, 15:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 4th, '15, 15:41

50-60* C
90 seconds
15-30
90-120
Etc.
Increase temp slightly with each steep

NEVER rinse.

+ Post Reply