Teaware in Japan

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

Jul 20th, '15, 14:50

Re: Teaware in Japan

by purringtons » Jul 20th, '15, 14:50

rdl wrote:I wrote this earlier in TC and thought it may be helpful to you:
If you visit Byodo-in you must then enter and also buy a ticket outside the Phoenix Hall to visit it. There is usually a delay since only a certain # of visitors are allowed in during a time-scheduled tour so the idea is to go directly outside Phoenix Hall, buy your ticket to enter it at some appointed time in the day, then visit the grounds of Byodo-in, the great museum there, etc... then keep a watch on the time so as not to miss your Phoenix Hall tour. if you do miss it you'll have to buy a new ticket for some time later in the day.
I have had time to picnic by the river which was really nice after stopping at the supermarket on the main road from the station to buy lunch, but have never had time for this:
"Kyo pottery has been a cherished local tradition since the Muromachi period. Asashiyaki Pottery is on the east side of the river, near Kosho-ji, and Shizugawa Togei Kyoshitsu is further to the south. Visitors who are especially interested can take a taxi to Sumiyama Pottery Village (2-2 Kuda, Sumiyama, Uji City), about 6.5 km from the city center. At Sumiyama, visitors can tour factories manufacturing pottery in the Kyo and Kiyomizu traditions."
http://wikitravel.org/en/Uji
The Fukujuen building also carries a selection of Asashiyaki, as well as different fun ways to engage with tea.
ahhh thank u again i really appreciate it! esp the tip about phoenix hall wooo just ran a search on the other places u mentioned i really hope i have enough time to check all of them out since i'll only have a day in uji (ᇂ_Jᇂ)

Jul 21st, '15, 19:42

by chingwa » Jul 21st, '15, 19:42

A whole week in Kyoto... I am so jealous. :oops:

Since you have a bit of time there I highly recommend the Iwatayama monkey park in Arashiyama (trust me, you won't regret it!)... as well as getting out of the city to an afternoon trip to Ohara to see a semi-rural side of Japan. </non-tea-related-post>

Jul 21st, '15, 22:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Jul 21st, '15, 22:28

chingwa wrote:as well as getting out of the city to an afternoon trip to Ohara to see a semi-rural side of Japan.
- Ohara is beautiful to visit, and I am sure I remember a pottery shop with some very nice rakuyaki, and in the same shop a workshop/classes to make your own pottery. On a side note, getting there by bus is not a good idea. Look into the train even if it's not on a JR Pass line. All traveling by public bus in Kyoto will eat up so much time, it is not worth it if other means of travel are affordable. Just to get out of the main JR station by bus can be 20 minutes to the main road 100 feet away.

Jul 21st, '15, 23:15

by chingwa » Jul 21st, '15, 23:15

Gawd yeah, buses in Kyoto are painfully slow! Unlike most everywhere else you'll likely go in Japan, there are no trains to Ohara... you'll have to take the bus. This is partly why it's a nice getaway from the city though... less transportation... less people... farms... fields... temples. It's worth the bus ride imho. If I remember correct there's a "direct" bus outside Kyoto station that only takes 45 minutes or so.

Jul 21st, '15, 23:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Jul 21st, '15, 23:41

chingwa,
You're correct. I was mistaken, it was going to Arashiyama,
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html
another beautiful countryside area close to Kyoto that I made the mistake of taking the bus to. The train to there is definitely recommended.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3932.html
"Get There and Around
From Kyoto Station, the fastest way to reach Ohara is to take the Karasuma Subway Line to its terminal station Kokusaikaikan Station (20 minutes, 290 yen) and then Kyoto Bus number 19 to Ohara (20 minutes, 350 yen, every 40 minutes). Alternatively, Kyoto Bus number 17 provides a direct connection from Kyoto Station to Ohara (60 minutes, 600 yen, every 20 minutes) via Shijo-Kawaramachi (45 minutes, 520 yen). The bus rides are not covered by the 1-day bus pass."

Jul 22nd, '15, 00:17

by purringtons » Jul 22nd, '15, 00:17

chingwa wrote:A whole week in Kyoto... I am so jealous. :oops:

Since you have a bit of time there I highly recommend the Iwatayama monkey park in Arashiyama (trust me, you won't regret it!)... as well as getting out of the city to an afternoon trip to Ohara to see a semi-rural side of Japan. </non-tea-related-post>
haha yes! arashiyama's monkey park is on my itinerary :lol: i'll be in kyoto for a week and the rest of japan for about 10 days so i bought a 14 days rail pass? not sure if that covers the JR trains but i'll try and avoid the bus either way lol no time to waste!!

Aug 1st, '15, 05:30
Location: meditation center in Malaysia (from 2 July to New Year 2018 at least) but on the way to KL on 29 Jun

by the_winding_path » Aug 1st, '15, 05:30

Purringtons,
definitely check out Horaido Tea at the south end of Teramachi Arcade. They have nice shiboradashi by Jitsuzan for half what you can order them for online minus shipping. Horaido's gyokuro is much better than Tsuen's in Uji btw. Tsuen's gyokuro flavors disappeared almost immediately wheras Horaido's gyokuro maintained the theanine sweetness through multiple infusions.
Ryuouen Tea, not far from the middle of Teramachi has excellent tea also and their gyokuro was on Horaido's level of lasting and quality.
Tsuen was nice and the oldest operating tea shop in Japan est. in 1160 CE. Worth a visit and sampling teas you may buy but they are more expensive too. Definitely go to Kosho-ji in Uji if you head to the tea potter and tea shop next to it on the same st (forgot the names). Kosho-ji is beautiful and lets you wander all over the temple and grounds.

I recommend testing any houhin, shiboradashi or yuzamashi with water to see how it pours btw. I bought a nice looking houhin from Horaido that poured horribly, as in all down the pot and onto the table instead of in the cup. He let me return it. I bought a Jitsuzan shiboradashi and a little yuzamashi that I failed to check. It pours horribly but I'm in Taiwan now. If you can, stop in every shop you wander by in Kyoto that has tea ware and take a peek. I found an beautiful shiboradashi set for 3000¥ and asked for a "makete" (discount in Kansai Ben). Remember that word for appropriate shops, but don't ask dedicated tea shops as they may get offended.

Aug 5th, '15, 16:02

by purringtons » Aug 5th, '15, 16:02

the_winding_path wrote:Purringtons,
definitely check out Horaido Tea at the south end of Teramachi Arcade. They have nice shiboradashi by Jitsuzan for half what you can order them for online minus shipping. Horaido's gyokuro is much better than Tsuen's in Uji btw. Tsuen's gyokuro flavors disappeared almost immediately wheras Horaido's gyokuro maintained the theanine sweetness through multiple infusions.
Ryuouen Tea, not far from the middle of Teramachi has excellent tea also and their gyokuro was on Horaido's level of lasting and quality.
Tsuen was nice and the oldest operating tea shop in Japan est. in 1160 CE. Worth a visit and sampling teas you may buy but they are more expensive too. Definitely go to Kosho-ji in Uji if you head to the tea potter and tea shop next to it on the same st (forgot the names). Kosho-ji is beautiful and lets you wander all over the temple and grounds.

I recommend testing any houhin, shiboradashi or yuzamashi with water to see how it pours btw. I bought a nice looking houhin from Horaido that poured horribly, as in all down the pot and onto the table instead of in the cup. He let me return it. I bought a Jitsuzan shiboradashi and a little yuzamashi that I failed to check. It pours horribly but I'm in Taiwan now. If you can, stop in every shop you wander by in Kyoto that has tea ware and take a peek. I found an beautiful shiboradashi set for 3000¥ and asked for a "makete" (discount in Kansai Ben). Remember that word for appropriate shops, but don't ask dedicated tea shops as they may get offended.
ah i was wondering if they would let me test the pour before buying :D thanks so much!!

Aug 7th, '15, 00:58
Location: meditation center in Malaysia (from 2 July to New Year 2018 at least) but on the way to KL on 29 Jun

by the_winding_path » Aug 7th, '15, 00:58

forgot to mention that the shop owner with the 3000¥ shiboridashi gave it to me for 2400¥ :D "makete"!

Sep 7th, '15, 00:02

by Hauser2015 » Sep 7th, '15, 00:02

Dear,

the teaware place in tokoname ist 600 m and 5 min walk way far from tokoname train station :D
Nice place and realy realy quiet !!

Visit Shizuoka a very nice city !!!!

Have fun !

+ Post Reply