Puerh and body weight loss

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 18th, '15, 13:48

Puerh and body weight loss

by Tea Fiend » Sep 18th, '15, 13:48

Someone recently asked me what is the best type of tea for weight loss? I must admit that I am fortunate enough to not ever needing to ponder that question, so I don't know. Would any one in the Puerh community that can answer this question, so that I may learn something and help out my friend?

Being a "seasoned" puerh drinker, I would like to understand specifics also... Does anyone have insights as to how the type of Puerh affect weight loss. For example is Autumn raw better than Spring raw? Raw tea versus ripe Puerh, Young vs aged... Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, would other types of heicha do a better job?

Any recommendations for vendors would be greatly appreciate too! I am looking for "Puerh centric" vendors that offers sampling. Those who offer real tea, nothing with flower or scent oils added.

Thanks alot!

Sep 18th, '15, 14:56

Re: Puerh and body weight loss

by miig » Sep 18th, '15, 14:56

Well, I'm not a physician, but I read up on the subject and there seems something that increases fat reduction rate by a really low percentage.
So, it looks like the effect is there, but honestly, it will only play a marginal role. If you're eating well and exercising well, your weight loss will happen a infinitesimal bit faster, and if you don't, then you'll gain wight a really tiny bit slower. But honestly: Forget about weight loss through tea.
And one more thing: As far as I am concerned, Pu, especially if its Shu or has been stored, gives me quite an appetite. So I tend to eat more after Pu and this probably will nullify any effect, if it was there in the first place.

My personal and utterly subjective advice as not a physician, butas someone who has to keep his weight in check is as follows: Don't count on any magic tonics, eat well and exercise well. As far as this is concerned, stimulating tea will energize you and motivate you to increase your efforts in training, this will have the most effect.

But of course, tea is awesome by itself :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sep 18th, '15, 17:34

by PurplePotato » Sep 18th, '15, 17:34

miig wrote:But honestly: Forget about weight loss through tea.
+1000

The only way to loose weight is to either take in less calories, or expend more. There are a few ways that drinking tea might cause this to happen:
  • 1. Tea drinking replaces another source of calories, e.g. soda
    2. Tea drinking causes someone to become energized and move more, either from direct exercise or fidgeting
    3. Tea drinking curbs appetite, causing someone to eat less
None of this really happens as a direct result of the tea though, more as a side effect - if it happens at all.

Sep 19th, '15, 04:47

by Cwyn » Sep 19th, '15, 04:47

Recent genetic discoveries among the Inuit who eat a higher fat diet have shown they developed genetics to process fat efficiently. This may be an insight into other cold weather cultures with a high fat diet like Tibetans. Their tea may be aiding a body mechanism they have developed. Europeans tested for this genetic adaptation only came up with maybe half the people in the sample having it. I think puerh may process fat and cholesterol in a more obvious way for people who have the genetics aiding the process. For the record, I don't think I have it myself or I'd be skinny as a rail with all the Pu I drink. :lol:

Sep 20th, '15, 18:04

by Tea Fiend » Sep 20th, '15, 18:04

Thank you for all your insightful information. Perhaps the conservative view point is the most reasonable: tea doesn't help weight loss.

I do know that drinking excessive amounts of tea can have long term detrimental effects on the body. Something to do with calcium resorption? just something to consider.... I hope some one can educate me here as well... There are days where I go 5-6 sessions of tea. I may need to cut back

Sep 20th, '15, 18:09

by Tea Fiend » Sep 20th, '15, 18:09

miig wrote: But of course, tea is awesome by itself :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cwyn wrote:. For the record, I don't think I have it myself or I'd be skinny as a rail with all the Pu I drink. :lol:
Perhaps I shouldn't worry too much, and just drinking as much tea as I have time and money for. lol

Sep 20th, '15, 19:28
Vendor Member

by glenbo » Sep 20th, '15, 19:28

Tea Fiend wrote: Perhaps I shouldn't worry too much, and just drinking as much tea as I have time and money for. lol
Those are wise words! :-)

Sep 20th, '15, 21:21

by PurplePotato » Sep 20th, '15, 21:21

Tea Fiend wrote:I do know that drinking excessive amounts of tea can have long term detrimental effects on the body. Something to do with calcium resorption?
You might find this interesting: Epidemiological Evidence of Increased Bone Mineral Density in Habitual Tea Drinkers. The study is comparing non-drinkers to those who drink tea 1+ times per week, so a far cry from 5-6 cups/day, but it is showing a clear benefit to bone density.

Sep 20th, '15, 22:31

by debunix » Sep 20th, '15, 22:31

Any tea that is tasty enough to drink without cream or sugar can help someone cut down on calories if substituted for sweetened drinks of any kind (sweet tea, juices, sodas), or drinks with dairy (lattes, bubble teas, plain milk).

I've never seen any data that persuades me that any one tea is likely to have significant benefits than another beyond this point.

Sep 20th, '15, 23:15

by chrl42 » Sep 20th, '15, 23:15

I think drinking tea does help a diet..(I..for one as well), just not miraculously though.

Puerh and diet have often popped out in China, too..IMHO, Sheng Puerh stimulates a body organ, fastens to take to a urine organ..will that help a diet? (I am ignorant in this field)..and it is true tea does help in disgregating fat

Many Koreans feel quite strange that, Chinese food is so oily and greasy...but there is no fat person on the street in China! Many link it to tea drinking culture..but I, for one, think it has more to do with their DNAs.

Sep 21st, '15, 00:14

by BitterLeaf » Sep 21st, '15, 00:14

chrl42 wrote:Chinese food is so oily and greasy...but there is no fat person on the street in China!
I'd have to disagree with that, although I know what you mean, the number of overweight people you see on a daily basis in China is fewer than most North American cities... I think more recent generations are seeing issues with weight and obesity though, thanks to worse and worse diets.

As for teas that help lose weight, I would have to agree with others that no specific tea is going to make a big difference, other than the benefits of some extra energy and replacing less healthy drinks with it. Every shou puer's nei piao seems to go on about how great it is for losing weight, but I wouldn't take that as more than exaggerated marketing claims.

Sep 21st, '15, 15:54

by tingjunkie » Sep 21st, '15, 15:54

Really good puerh gives me the munchies and causes me to eat fatty foods. That's all I know.

+ Post Reply