Science Fiction with tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Oct 9th, '16, 03:25

Science Fiction with tea

by entropyembrace » Oct 9th, '16, 03:25

I've just finished reading the trilogy Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, and Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie. Ancillary Justice caught by attention since it won pretty much every award for a science fiction literature for the year it was released (Hugo, Nebula, Arthur C. Clarke and more). In these novels tea is considered a daily essential for all civilized people. The first novel doesn't go much deeper into it than that, but the 2nd and 3rd novels feature a visit to a tea plantation, and reverence for ancient tea ware as main parts of the plot. There's also mention of things like infusing the same leaves over many days, boiling brick tea, and porridge supplemented with something sounding like matcha that really show Ann Leckie has a real appreciation for tea.

I highly recommend any sci-fi fans here give them a read, they're a great example of the space opera genre. The tea references were fun, especially after the first book. :)

Oct 9th, '16, 10:17

Re: Science Fiction with tea

by Sasameyuki » Oct 9th, '16, 10:17

I've read that trilogy too and enjoyed it immensely! Probably the best SF space opera written in the last few years. As a tea aficionado I also thoroughly enjoyed the tea angle in the Radchaai civilisation. We want more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 9th, '16, 11:09

by debunix » Oct 9th, '16, 11:09

Thanks for the recommendation. Those books have been recommended to me in other forums, but of course no one else mentioned the *TEA* angle!

Oct 9th, '16, 15:53

by entropyembrace » Oct 9th, '16, 15:53

Sasameyuki wrote:I've read that trilogy too and enjoyed it immensely! Probably the best SF space opera written in the last few years. As a tea aficionado I also thoroughly enjoyed the tea angle in the Radchaai civilisation. We want more Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 4th novel is confirmed! I can hardly wait! :mrgreen:

Oct 9th, '16, 20:27

by laura99 » Oct 9th, '16, 20:27

Thanks for this. I ran into this series recently, when searching around. Now I'll give it a try for sure!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

+ Post Reply