Bad Tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 11th, '16, 20:37

Bad Tea

by cuppa » Nov 11th, '16, 20:37

Anybody experience with some bad tea? Which tea and what exactly was bad? ( taste, look , how..etc.) . Please share the link what to avoid. Thanks

Nov 11th, '16, 20:58

Re: Bad Tea

by pedant » Nov 11th, '16, 20:58

cuppa wrote:Anybody experience with some bad tea? Which tea and what exactly was bad? ( taste, look , how..etc.) . Please share the link what to avoid. Thanks
i'd like to meet the man who has never seen bad tea

Nov 14th, '16, 21:00

by Bok » Nov 14th, '16, 21:00

I’d say by default 80% of tea you will encounter is more likely to be bad than good.
100% if you buy it in a super market or chain store.

so unless one of us is born into a tea producing country or has had (very unlikely) tea-savy parents, we all did only encounter bad tea until we got educated by coincidence, curiosity or other reasons.

Not a bad thing per se, you have to know the bad to know what is good.

Nov 14th, '16, 21:20
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 14th, '16, 21:20

[quote="cuppa"] Which tea and what exactly was bad?

cuppa, Sounds like you want to avoid ordering tea that you don't like. Afraid you won't get much help here. I do not see a lot of posting about "bad" tea. If you are have specific teas or companies in mind in regards to purchases, you might do better asking about them directly.

Nov 14th, '16, 23:04

by Bok » Nov 14th, '16, 23:04

It is an art to formulate a question the right way :mrgreen:

Anyways Ethan is probabl right, most people here are tea-nerds and as such past the stage of really bad tea (or so we like to think).

Maybe some basics, to avoid bad tea do not buy:
– teadust (Matcha excluded :mrgreen: )
– tea bags (the notable exceptions are to rare to mention)
– big, well known brands
– on taobao (unless you like gambling)
– any tea you can not try or sample beforehand
– anything scented (usually only scented to cover up the defects of the tea (exceptions exist, but rare), includes all Earl Grey & Company.
– anything sold in shops which have large not very airtight containers where they do sell their tea from
– anything sold in markets where the tea is in open baskets
– anything sold in shops which also sell coffee or other strongly smelling products in the same premises (flavour cross contamination)

Nov 15th, '16, 00:52

by yalokinh » Nov 15th, '16, 00:52

I get up drinking Earl grey and the like. Didn't really get the hype about tea until I really started researching, which then brought me to teachat.

Nov 26th, '16, 22:29

by cuppa » Nov 26th, '16, 22:29

Thanks for the answers! Im in stage of learning about pu-erh tea. I'm trying various teas I got from my friend , and not sure which is good or bad. Some are bitter , some are not that much. Some are very bitter , like Lao Ban Zhan and that supposed to be like that ( as I was told ). Some of them have strong sweet after taste ,some of them less. And that probably is very variable because we dont all have same taste buds I guess. By "Bad tea" I actually ment something like rotting or to dry ..etc. ( sorry didnt make clear question at the first place ) when you bought from internet, like Tao or Ali. So if anybody is wiling to share their bad experiences with tea ( no need to point on exact shop ) I would appreciate. Thanks.

+ Post Reply