2nd tea...Ding Gu Da Fang...this is the Long Jing replica green from Anhui Province.
I am finding I like this probably more than Long Jing costing many times more. It has a nice slightly bolder character than almost all LJ too. This would make a great everyday green if you really like Dragon Well...if you can find it!!!
Tea 3 will likely be Gyokuro I just received.
Feb 19th 08 11:52 pm
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
This is a step away from the ordinary for the Chipmeister, no? Isn't the plunge into Gyokuro a little like that not-so-long-ago flirtation with Matcha? Are you making a new course, Captain? Perhaps beyond the final frontier?Chip wrote:Tea 3 will likely be Gyokuro I just received.
Wesli just passed his 1,000th post; and I, my fourth matcha.
Wooot!
Feb 20th 08 1:10 am
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Feb 20th 08 2:02 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
LOL, it's all Japanese, Sal!!! I drink 'em all, just more sencha than the others.Salsero wrote:This is a step away from the ordinary for the Chipmeister, no? Isn't the plunge into Gyokuro a little like that not-so-long-ago flirtation with Matcha? Are you making a new course, Captain? Perhaps beyond the final frontier?Chip wrote:Tea 3 will likely be Gyokuro I just received.
Wesli just passed his 1,000th post; and I, my fourth matcha.
Wooot!
I received this in a swap. It is from a domestic vendor. I have to question if it is truly gyokuro. Often domestic vendor gyo is kabuse cha or blended with sencha. This does not give me that rich gyokuro sensation that I have been spoiled by.
Next time, I will brew it like sencha which might be more enjoyable.
Congrats to Wesli on his milestone post!!!!
Last edited by Chip on Feb 20th 08 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
handpicked honey aroma ali shan from hou de - last of it 
alishan from teahome - yeah!!! what yummy tea and I still have lots.
alishan from teahome - yeah!!! what yummy tea and I still have lots.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )
Feb 20th 08 4:37 am
Posts: 334
Joined: Jul 8th 07 9:19 pm
Location: Submerged in a good cuppa
I normally just weigh the tea, for a general idea of either how much is going to the pot or how much is left, depending on what I'm brewing, my mood, how I'm brewing it, etc.
For example, I had just a little bit of a certain pu recently. Before I put it away, I weighed the reminder to guestimate how many more sessions I could get from it.
I weight rooibos, mostly out of habit.
And I haven't measured the temperature of the water in quite some time.
For example, I had just a little bit of a certain pu recently. Before I put it away, I weighed the reminder to guestimate how many more sessions I could get from it.
I weight rooibos, mostly out of habit.
And I haven't measured the temperature of the water in quite some time.
Yikes. After posting about my "no ceremony" tea ceremony yesterday, I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much tech I use. I've got a variable temp kettle, a thermometer, a scale, and even a nifty little silver tea scoop. Granted, the thermometer isn't digital, the scale is just an ordinary kitchen scale, and the scoop was purchased mainly to prevent accidental use of the coffee scoop (ick!), but still. I don't have a separate timer, but that's only because Adagio's free downloadable version does the job just fine.
Feb 20th 08 7:21 am
Posts: 1051
Joined: Jul 7th 07 5:37 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
I'm finishing off my day with some aged rou gui from 2002. Good stuff, though I've been having some problems getting it to come out right.
I had to say that I eyeball everything, but I do occassionally use a scale and thermometer if I'm having problems with something or want to help someone with specifics. Since I use a Zoji, I'm also always aware of the water temp. At some point I also plan on getting a timer, which I will likely use quite frequently as I do a lot of counting right now.
I had to say that I eyeball everything, but I do occassionally use a scale and thermometer if I'm having problems with something or want to help someone with specifics. Since I use a Zoji, I'm also always aware of the water temp. At some point I also plan on getting a timer, which I will likely use quite frequently as I do a lot of counting right now.
Feb 20th 08 8:12 am
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji