May 4th, '17, 21:35

I realize that varieties of tea need different temperature of the water until now!

by janet11 » May 4th, '17, 21:35

Until someone asked me a question: Do you know varieties tea need different temperature of the water? I was shocked for I just put boiled water and then add the tea. I don't know what I've drink for a long time? I learned some knowledge about tea from my friends.
Temperature is critical in making good tea. The popular conception that boiling water can be used on any kind of tea is actually incorrect. In fact, each variety of tea, from green to black, needs to prepared at a different range of temperature. Because of its more delicate processing, green tea often needs a cooler temperature to bring out the right flavor. Conversely, black tea, which has been fully oxidized, needs much hotter water to bring out its characteristic baked sweetness.

May 4th, '17, 23:26

Re: I realize that varieties of tea need different temperature of the water until now!

by teaformeplease » May 4th, '17, 23:26

janet11 wrote: Until someone asked me a question: Do you know varieties tea need different temperature of the water? I was shocked for I just put boiled water and then add the tea. I don't know what I've drink for a long time? I learned some knowledge about tea from my friends.
Temperature is critical in making good tea. The popular conception that boiling water can be used on any kind of tea is actually incorrect. In fact, each variety of tea, from green to black, needs to prepared at a different range of temperature. Because of its more delicate processing, green tea often needs a cooler temperature to bring out the right flavor. Conversely, black tea, which has been fully oxidized, needs much hotter water to bring out its characteristic baked sweetness.
The great thing about tea is that is very diverse. Even teas within the same category will need to be treated differently. That being said, the way you prepare them also determines the temperature. I mostly brew my teas "gongfu" style (less water, more leaves, shorter steep time) so I use boiling water for everything except for green trea.

May 5th, '17, 21:25

Re: I realize that varieties of tea need different temperature of the water until now!

by janet11 » May 5th, '17, 21:25

teaformeplease wrote:
janet11 wrote: Until someone asked me a question: Do you know varieties tea need different temperature of the water? I was shocked for I just put boiled water and then add the tea. I don't know what I've drink for a long time? I learned some knowledge about tea from my friends.
The great thing about tea is that is very diverse. Even teas within the same category will need to be treated differently. That being said, the way you prepare them also determines the temperature. I mostly brew my teas "gongfu" style (less water, more leaves, shorter steep time) so I use boiling water for everything except for green trea.
I quiet agree with what you said " the way you prepare them also determines the temperature." So, We all enjoy the process of making a cup of tea. :D

+ Post Reply