Need your insight! Young VS Aged Liu An Heicha!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 10th, '18, 14:48

Need your insight! Young VS Aged Liu An Heicha!

by VanFersen » Sep 10th, '18, 14:48

I also send the same question to Honza but I also wanted to know what your experiences are. I noticed something and wanted to know if this reaction is typical for young Liu An:

I already got an aged Liu An from 2002 within my collection and this one is very calming and generally a chilling Heicha. Now I bought a 2016 & 2014 basket (Chawang) and I have to say there is a huge difference - not in a bad way but from the effect on your body - at least what I've noticed.

Is it normal that younger Liu An is very powerful and more aggressive especially on the stomach? I really didn't expected such a strong impact. Normally I only get tea drunk with old 1990 or older HK stored Pu-erh (but only after more than 12 steeps) but with the 2016 Liu An I only drank 5 cups and got really dizzy and tea drunk - is this a normal / typical reaction to very young Liu An? Because those are the first younger Liu An's I've ever tried.
Last edited by VanFersen on Sep 10th, '18, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.

Sep 10th, '18, 15:01

Re: Need your insight! Young VS Aged Liu An Heicha!

by zesk » Sep 10th, '18, 15:01

Not so sure about Liu An specifically, but I've had Hunan heicha to the same effect! When trying it at the tea shop I got tea drunk after trying 2 types (I usually am able to try much more of other types of tea). The tea shop owner said it was due to the fact that heicha lowers the blood sugar level a lot. Might be the same reason.

Sep 11th, '18, 01:28

by bagua7 » Sep 11th, '18, 01:28

Yes because of its yang nature and also colder nature. Older puerhs/fermented black teas are gentler on the tummy.

It isn't a good idea hammering the stomach with young teas because they are cooling and damp. Stomach and Spleen are the Earth Element (Taoism>TCM) and they don't like either cold or damp!

Further info

Sep 11th, '18, 16:10

by VanFersen » Sep 11th, '18, 16:10

But I am still wondering if this also counts for fermented teas even if they are young. I mean I get when it comes to very young raw Pu-erh, Green Tea in general or other more greener types but even younger Liu An isn't normally sold before it reached its 3rd year of aging. Also those types of teas are highly fermented - that's why I am so wondering about the fact that Liu An is more kind of a cooling Heicha in its younger age.

Even with very young and fresh Sheng (2017/2018) I never had issues like that. I can drink a lot of very young Sheng if they are fully processed without any problems but for my body function it seems that Liu An in its younger stage got a lot more impact on me.

+ Post Reply