Getting your Sencha fix while traveling...

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 7th, '18, 10:39

Getting your Sencha fix while traveling...

by Denmano » Sep 7th, '18, 10:39

I'm curious what you all do while traveling (by air) with regards to maintaining your daily tea drinking habits. I found a padded lunch box that nicely holds a kyusu, yunomi and tea tin (chazutsu, I think it's called?) but I think it would take up a bit too much space for air travel. How do you travel with your tea? Do you use any of the tea-infuser mugs or thermoses I see online? Do you have a smaller kyusu travel kit? I'm looking forward to hearing your solutions!
:D

Sep 13th, '18, 12:30

Re: Getting your Sencha fix while traveling...

by brlarson2 » Sep 13th, '18, 12:30

Denmano wrote: I'm curious what you all do while traveling (by air) with regards to maintaining your daily tea drinking habits. I found a padded lunch box that nicely holds a kyusu, yunomi and tea tin (chazutsu, I think it's called?) but I think it would take up a bit too much space for air travel. How do you travel with your tea? Do you use any of the tea-infuser mugs or thermoses I see online? Do you have a smaller kyusu travel kit? I'm looking forward to hearing your solutions!
For short trips? You might try sencha in teabags.
Zencha has bagged tea from Yame and Shizuoka. The flavor from the bagged Yame teas is rich enough to satisfy a tea craving.
Sugimoto also sells sencha in teabags. I haven't tried them in five or six years but their quality was also pretty good, though sweeter than the Yame tea..

For longer trips I usually bring a hobin wrapped in bubble wrap, an electric water heater, a scale and a thermometer.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Sep 18th, '18, 16:45

by louisjohn79 » Sep 18th, '18, 16:45

Two paper cups and a screen strainer.

Sep 29th, '18, 23:42

by Denmano » Sep 29th, '18, 23:42

brlarson2 wrote:
Denmano wrote: I'm curious what you all do while traveling (by air) with regards to maintaining your daily tea drinking habits. I found a padded lunch box that nicely holds a kyusu, yunomi and tea tin (chazutsu, I think it's called?) but I think it would take up a bit too much space for air travel. How do you travel with your tea? Do you use any of the tea-infuser mugs or thermoses I see online? Do you have a smaller kyusu travel kit? I'm looking forward to hearing your solutions!
For short trips? You might try sencha in teabags.
Zencha has bagged tea from Yame and Shizuoka. The flavor from the bagged Yame teas is rich enough to satisfy a tea craving.
Sugimoto also sells sencha in teabags. I haven't tried them in five or six years but their quality was also pretty good, though sweeter than the Yame tea..

For longer trips I usually bring a hobin wrapped in bubble wrap, an electric water heater, a scale and a thermometer.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Thanks, Bruce! I love the ritual of preparing tea with a kyusu but may consider tea bags in a pinch. I don't have a hobin yet, but may shop for one soon. Or perhaps a very small kyusu. I've found some nice little padded zippered lunch bags that I think would work great to protect the pot, a yunomi and a small tin or two of tea. I imagine that the tea would have to come out of the carryon bag when traveling though security though. In fact, I think all food items need to be taken out anyway.

+ Post Reply