Drying dried cherries

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Nov 19th, '18, 10:56

Drying dried cherries

by thomasmcgee75 » Nov 19th, '18, 10:56

I have a few pounds of dried cherries that I’d like to use in a tea blend. The dried cherries give good flavor if steeped 7-10 minutes. They are pretty soft and chewy. If I bake them for a bit, can I get them to be more dry? Almost crispy? If so, would this provide a more rapid infusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20th, '18, 21:51

Re: Drying dried cherries

by MagicMirror4 » Nov 20th, '18, 21:51

Freeze dried might work. If you can find some of those. Berries are really hard to dry in the oven, even already hydrated. If you do want to use the oven, I suggest at a low temp (so they won't burn) and a very long period of time (to slowly dehydrate them). The risk is that when you use the oven in this method, it might still cook them to a point to change their taste. If you have a dehydrator though, double dehydrating, or even triple, might help, but that's for you to discover.

Though, now that I think about it, if you leave out raisins for too long and they get stale, they harden so....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 23rd, '18, 23:37

Re: Drying dried cherries

by aeris311 » Nov 23rd, '18, 23:37

If you're looking for quicker infusion so you don't overstep the tea you're pairing with I would suggest slicing them up before you bake them.
Sliced up will provide more surface area to release flavor quicker.
thomasmcgee75 wrote: I have a few pounds of dried cherries that I’d like to use in a tea blend. The dried cherries give good flavor if steeped 7-10 minutes. They are pretty soft and chewy. If I bake them for a bit, can I get them to be more dry? Almost crispy? If so, would this provide a more rapid infusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Post Reply