Sep 3rd, '17, 11:48

Re: Loss or change of tasting

by victoria3 » Sep 3rd, '17, 11:48

Xeractha wrote: It's time to brew some herbal tea then. I've got like 2kg herbal tea (few unopened packs), some rooibos and found mate "tea" too. I've just remembered that I had got 1kg gunpowder tea stashed away somewhere, probably not good anymore. :D I should clear the cupboard already, totally forgot about a 100g chunk of random sheng cake sitting there.
I keep old teas to reset new/old pots that I buy when they have a funky smell or after cleaning dirty old ones with percarbonate or baking soda..

Sep 13th, '17, 03:02

by Xeractha » Sep 13th, '17, 03:02

Slight update: I'm 90% sure it's a tooth problem. I checked my wisdom tooth with a small mirror and a black hole would shine in there. I think I can't procrastinate anymore. I should have gone to the dentist last year... I'll get to the doctor at the end of the month or the beginning of the next month. This tooth probably needs surgery and can't be just pulled out so it will take a while to confirm the theory.

One thing a didn't mention because it happened so long ago. Most of the time teas had a long lasting aftertaste. Cheap teas too. Nowadays I can't feel such thing.

Oct 23rd, '18, 00:36

by Rickpatbrown » Oct 23rd, '18, 00:36

I know this is an old post, but I'm having a very similar problem to OP. I'm hoping we could get an update, although it says they were not active since last year.

Dec 4th, '18, 19:02

by oolongfan » Dec 4th, '18, 19:02

Thyroid, adrenal, and kidney issues can affect tasting.

Since I have all three health issues, I will say that cortisol (elevated, periods of stress) can sometimes make my sense of taste slighly dampened. I don't know if it the cortisol or perhaps just mental inattention. but when I am stressed, I find that tastes seemed muted -whether it be tea or wine. Now coffee, on the other hand, seems to retain flavor no matter my stress level.

I have not found my kidney function effecting my ability to taste -although it certainly does impact my ability to deal with caffeine. Other people, particularily those on dialysis or at stage 4 kidney disease, can develope off or metalic tastes...but you don't seem to have those issues.

Sinus and dental issues can effect taste. I once had a bad head cold and lost all sense of smell. Everything tasted either sweet or salty but that was the extent of my tasting abilities until the head cold went away adn my sinuses drained. As faras dental, I have thin enamel not great teeth and yet abcessed teeth or cavities do not seem to effect my taste..but that is just me.

Good luck. I hope your sense of taste is back in full.

+ Post Reply