What’s your opinion on flavoured Puerh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 3rd, '18, 04:52
Vendor Member

by CalmingLeaf » Dec 3rd, '18, 04:52

Dec 4th, '18, 03:22

Re: What’s your opinion on flavoured Puerh?

by LadyFortuna » Dec 4th, '18, 03:22

CalmingLeaf wrote: What’s your opinion on flavoured Puerh?
Hi, I have only tried one so far and I love it. It's Toffee Caramel Pu'erh from Steeped Tea when I went to a Tea Festival here in Vancouver, Canada. I use this for guests when I want to introduce them to pu'erh and it's a crowd pleaser so far.

Cathy

Dec 6th, '18, 20:15

by avmr1506 » Dec 6th, '18, 20:15

Puerh has so many ranges in flavors between shou and sheng that I think flavored puerh would mostly be used to mask the tea. I had a chocolate one years ago by Numi and thought it just tasted like 'chocolate' flavor so I felt I missed out on both the puerh taste and the chocolate taste that I prefer. It can be used to make puerh palatable to some at first, as LadyFortuna pointed out, but I don't care for it.

Just my opinion but I would steer clear of most flavored teas because they usually seem to be masking teas, not always but often. Then again, whatever is your cup of tea go for it!

Dec 17th, '18, 00:18

by chapka » Dec 17th, '18, 00:18

I haven't tried any myself, but I would use the same rules I use for other mixed drinks. Mixing flavors can be fun, but the subtler notes of the individual flavors tend to get lost.

So I don't use fancy, expensive beers for mixing micheladas, I don't make sangria with my best wine, and I wouldn't mix genmaicha rice or masala spices or whatever with my best pu'er.

Dec 20th, '18, 02:14
Vendor Member

by CalmingLeaf » Dec 20th, '18, 02:14

chapka wrote: I haven't tried any myself, but I would use the same rules I use for other mixed drinks. Mixing flavors can be fun, but the subtler notes of the individual flavors tend to get lost.

So I don't use fancy, expensive beers for mixing micheladas, I don't make sangria with my best wine, and I wouldn't mix genmaicha rice or masala spices or whatever with my best pu'er.
That's a good point! I would argue though that if you want to have the finest concoctions that you should use the finest ingredients you could afford. To each their own though! :D

Dec 25th, '18, 07:16

by Teasenz » Dec 25th, '18, 07:16

The best would be to use ripe pu erh, and larger leaf grades instead of buds. The taste of buds are more complex and could easily be covered by any additional flavours. On the other hand, the larger leaves have a more smoothened out flavor, and thick texture, that can serve as an excellent base for adding other flavours. Blending raw puer never worked for me.

Dec 29th, '18, 18:54

by RobWarren » Dec 29th, '18, 18:54

I've had a sticky rice cooked puerh that was very enjoyable. Nice to have for variety's sake when you want something a little bit different. Not sure it would be what I would reach for if I was trying to impress a tea master, but I might.

Cooked puerh aged in tangerine skins is also fairly common. I know some very serious tea people that take this very seriously. From the prices I have seen, this must have an audience that appreciates it.

Jan 3rd, '19, 17:51

by bagua7 » Jan 3rd, '19, 17:51

I add sometimes, to strong young raw pu, chrysanthemum flowers (ju hua) during spring and summer. It makes a lovely tea but it's strong nonetheless. That's about it.

Flavoured pu? It's akin to rosé...leave that to the 'ladies.' ;)

Jan 5th, '19, 07:39

by AntoineD » Jan 5th, '19, 07:39

Not ever tried flavored pu yet but reading these posts, I think I'll try some of what you guys are recommending. First I have to get the ingredients though.

+ Post Reply