East Frisian tea culture

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 2nd, '19, 07:10

East Frisian tea culture

by absence » Feb 2nd, '19, 07:10

Is anyone familiar with the East Frisian tea "ceremony"? They're said to drink the most tea per capita in the world, so I've been curious to try it, even though (or perhaps because) it's quite different from the Asian styles I usually prefer. I've looked at some videos, and gotten hold of the appropriate tea and sugar candy, but the cream is giving me some trouble. Looking at the videos, after pouring the cream it often seems to bubble up to the surface again, leaving an interesting pattern in the cup. But for me it just stays at the bottom and doesn't take too long to blend evenly with the tea, even though I don't stir. Do I have the wrong type of cream, i.e. too fat or lean? Or the wrong amount? I've used whipping cream (around 36 % fat), and just eyeballed the amount since I don't have an East Frisian spoon. Would love to hear from someone with experience in this type of tradition!

Feb 4th, '19, 14:57

Re: East Frisian tea culture

by digitalray » Feb 4th, '19, 14:57

absence wrote: Is anyone familiar with the East Frisian tea "ceremony"? They're said to drink the most tea per capita in the world, so I've been curious to try it, even though (or perhaps because) it's quite different from the Asian styles I usually prefer. I've looked at some videos, and gotten hold of the appropriate tea and sugar candy, but the cream is giving me some trouble. Looking at the videos, after pouring the cream it often seems to bubble up to the surface again, leaving an interesting pattern in the cup. But for me it just stays at the bottom and doesn't take too long to blend evenly with the tea, even though I don't stir. Do I have the wrong type of cream, i.e. too fat or lean? Or the wrong amount? I've used whipping cream (around 36 % fat), and just eyeballed the amount since I don't have an East Frisian spoon. Would love to hear from someone with experience in this type of tradition!
Hi, the secret to that ceremony and exactly Steps are these:

1) Put the brown or white Crystal sugar in the empty cup.
2)Pour the tea in the Cup
3) take a spoon full of cream and "lay it inside the tea", In den Tee legen, this means slowly moving the spoon with the cream in the middle of the Cup, so the cream stays a bit on top, but the spoon will pull it down, then remove the spoon without stirring on the side of the cup. Watch the white cream Pop up in several Drops and never stir the cup.
Just drink it and enjoy the milk Caramel Part when you finish the Cup.

That's the original way to do it.

+ Post Reply