Yixing Teapots, Half vs Fully Handmade

Have a Tea Blog or Tea Vlog? Post a topic here.

Feb 17th, '19, 19:50
Vendor Member

Yixing Teapots, Half vs Fully Handmade

by oolongtimenosee » Feb 17th, '19, 19:50

How are Yixing Teapots made? What’s the difference between half handmade and fully handmade teapots? Find out in our latest blog entry:
https://www.mudandleaves.com/teatime-bl ... y-handmade
IMG_4807.JPG

Feb 18th, '19, 03:19

Re: Yixing Teapots, Half vs Fully Handmade

by Teasenz » Feb 18th, '19, 03:19

Excellent. Well researched. One addition, I've never seen a half handmade teapot which is made from good clay. So for those, who're very serious about tea, fully handmade teapots are the only option in my opinion. If to expensive, then I would first stick to gaiwans.

Feb 18th, '19, 10:48
Vendor Member

Re: Yixing Teapots, Half vs Fully Handmade

by oolongtimenosee » Feb 18th, '19, 10:48

Teasenz wrote: Excellent. Well researched. One addition, I've never seen a half handmade teapot which is made from good clay. So for those, who're very serious about tea, fully handmade teapots are the only option in my opinion. If to expensive, then I would first stick to gaiwans.
Thank you, but that isn't true. I know from my own experience in the industry and seeing how the clay is purchased and used, that the same clay is used for half handmade teapots that is used for very expensive fully handmade teapots. The difference in price reflects the cost of labour and the value placed on the work of the artist. Collectors know this.

It is possible to purchase fully handmade teapots between $100-150, but these are apprentice teapots, not very symmetrical. If you care more about the clay but don't have $200+ to spend, then half handmade teapots are the best value for the money. Fully handmade teapots don't make better tea and aren't made with superior clay.

+ Post Reply