Mar 6th, '19, 06:15

Is your teaware toxic?

by Väinämöinen » Mar 6th, '19, 06:15

I found this article about stainless steel leaking nickel and chromium into the water. The article speaks about steel kettle's but how about teapots with stainless steel filters, especially the ones where the filter is on the bottom level so its in contact with tea. Heavy tea drinker as I am, Im just wondering does anybody have more information about this? Im propably going for ceramic filter type of teapot, but the one Im looking for fukamushi, has stainless steel filter (316 SS to be precise).

Propably the glazing problem might be bigger health risk?

"FDA has identified dietary lead exposure as a significant public health issue. Lead and cadmium are components of the glaze used in making ceramicware, and can leach into foods in significant amounts when the glaze is improperly formulated, applied, or fired. Lead can also leach from the colors used to make patterns in some ceramicware. In FY'93, approximately 15% of the imported lots analyzed were found violative for lead and/or cadmium."

Im new with tea and teaware, so I wanted to bring this up to get wiser (and peace of mind :roll: ) from knowledge of you people who have more experience and information about this. What kind of materialis, teapots/teapot producers to prefer and to avoid?

Link to the article:
https://www.goldenmoontea.com/blogs/tea ... ing-toxins