identify a tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 7th, '19, 21:49

identify a tea?

by trziste » May 7th, '19, 21:49

A student gave me a large gift box of oolong tea from China. I don't read Chinese so I can't tell anything about the tea. It seems like a very roasted tea that makes a dark, overpowering brew. So I find that using a little less than 1 gram for a 200 ml pot works well. If someone can look at the packaging and tell me what it says, I would be grateful.

May 11th, '19, 07:29

Re: identify a tea?

by trziste » May 11th, '19, 07:29

trziste wrote: A student gave me a large gift box of oolong tea from China. I don't read Chinese so I can't tell anything about the tea. It seems like a very roasted tea that makes a dark, overpowering brew. So I find that using a little less than 1 gram for a 200 ml pot works well. If someone can look at the packaging and tell me what it says, I would be grateful.
Well, apparently the pictures did not attach. But a friend did translate the bag for me. Here is what he wrote:

"It’s from Wu-yi mountains of Fujian province, thoroughly fermented, baked, and oxidized. It’s called Da Hong Pao (literally big red embroidery), per a legend from Wu-yi, where centuries ago, a few tea plants were so relished for their healing capacities that folks put red embroidered overcoats around them.

"I have done this tea a lot few years ago. A friend at Peking University gave me a huge carton of it and I hand-carried it back from Beijing to the states, in a very eye-catching manner (as if I were working for the tea farm).

"The color of this tea is famously dark and its taste is uniquely strong and, to me, with a sulfuric finish, a bit like Santa Barbara Kendall-Jackson’s Pinot Noire. Like in most other brands, this tea comes with an instant poem that was probably composed by its producer and that I don’t know how to translate. Essentially it tells you to let your taste buds work wonders. Enjoy it."

+ Post Reply