May 9th, '19, 10:03

Mylar Bags Are Not Light Proof

by bambooforest » May 9th, '19, 10:03

So I had an empty bag of sencha, and the thought struck me: "are these bags light proof?" I looked inside the bag, and held it up to a light (looking through the inside of the bag), and sure enough, they are not anywhere near completely light proof. I then did the same experiment with the bags my oolong come vacuum sealed in and the results were the same.

So my question is this: Is it ill advised to keep sealed tea in the original packaging out in the light?

(Some of those zip lock mylar bags do seem to be completely light proof. But the bags Japanese sencha and oolong often come in are not completely light proof)

Jun 3rd, '19, 14:12
Mod/Admin

Re: Mylar Bags Are Not Light Proof

by AndrewGC » Jun 3rd, '19, 14:12

Hey bambooforest! Great question! We get this one a lot over here at Adagio! Generally, we recommend that you store your teas in the original packaging, squeezing out any excess air, (though it doesn't have to be airtight), after use, and storing them in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, like a pantry cabinet. Should you wish to display your tea collection, look for either Borosilicate glass, which will block UV rays from harming your tea, or a full metal tin, which does not allow light!
bambooforest wrote: So my question is this: Is it ill advised to keep sealed tea in the original packaging out in the light?

+ Post Reply