Jan 5th, '17, 09:43

Re: Jian Shui Purple Pottery Tea Ware

by Islander » Jan 5th, '17, 09:43

For Dan Cong tea, I follow the counsel of Leo Kwan of Tea Guardian; "Contrary to common practices and concepts in Mainland China, very short infusion with a lot of leaves is NOT going to render the full profile of any finer Phoenix oolongs. Particularly for a tea as fine as this Honey Orchid Supreme. Always refer to the international tasting standard of 2g per 100ml water for 5 minutes and adjust leaf to water ratio if you prefer to shorten the infusion time". I have found that this works best for me.

Jan 5th, '17, 09:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 5th, '17, 09:58

Islander wrote:For Dan Cong tea, I follow the counsel of Leo Kwan of Tea Guardian; "Contrary to common practices and concepts in Mainland China, very short infusion with a lot of leaves is NOT going to render the full profile of any finer Phoenix oolongs. Particularly for a tea as fine as this Honey Orchid Supreme. Always refer to the international tasting standard of 2g per 100ml water for 5 minutes and adjust leaf to water ratio if you prefer to shorten the infusion time". I have found that this works best for me.
I've found it to work as well, and I use a large Chaozhou pot when I brew that way (rarely), since dancong is the classic CZ gongfu tea. I find with good dancong, gongfu works great. Grandpa brewing does give you a much fuller flavor profile, however, and I do grandpa brew a lot of my teas nowadays. :D

Jan 5th, '17, 10:06

by Islander » Jan 5th, '17, 10:06

jayinhk wrote:
Islander wrote:For Dan Cong tea, I follow the counsel of Leo Kwan of Tea Guardian; "Contrary to common practices and concepts in Mainland China, very short infusion with a lot of leaves is NOT going to render the full profile of any finer Phoenix oolongs. Particularly for a tea as fine as this Honey Orchid Supreme. Always refer to the international tasting standard of 2g per 100ml water for 5 minutes and adjust leaf to water ratio if you prefer to shorten the infusion time". I have found that this works best for me.
I've found it to work as well, and I use a large Chaozhou pot when I brew that way, but dancong is the classic CZ gongfu tea. I find with good dancong, gongfu works great. Grandpa brewing does give you a much fuller flavor profile, however, and I do grandpa brew a lot of my teas nowadays. :D
Thanks, Jay. I'm gonna keep that Chaozhou thing in mind.

Jan 5th, '17, 22:04

by theredbaron » Jan 5th, '17, 22:04

The tasting standard is a standard, but that is not what is desired in Gong Fu. Gong Fu is not about full flavor in each brew, but about the development of tea over the course of the different infusions.

Jan 6th, '17, 02:24
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 6th, '17, 02:24

theredbaron wrote:

The tasting standard is a standard, but that is not what is desired in Gong Fu. Gong Fu is not about full flavor in each brew, but about the development of tea over the course of the different infusions.
& various ways of preparing tea = various ways of enjoying tea.

Including what are not are favorite ways of preparing particular teas or "ideal" ways for each particular tea.

Jan 7th, '17, 22:47
Scrolling: fixed

by xmfi » Jan 7th, '17, 22:47

I bought one of the small Jian Shui pots from Yunnan Sourcing recently. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but it's actually turned out to be an awesome pot. Pour and lid fit are great, and the whole thing feels really well made. I've been using it for dark oolongs and shou puerh-- walls are thick so it retains heat. Haven't done a side-by-side comparison with porcelain, but teas come out smelling and tasting good IMHO. Pleasant surprise.

Dec 3rd, '18, 13:04

by oolongfan » Dec 3rd, '18, 13:04

In my 6 year hiatus away from tea (health reasons), I have noticed that the price of Jian Shui teapots seems to have gone up. Is this because they are becoming more popular or because as good Yixing is becoming rarer, people are doscovering Jian Shui?

Previously I had thought of the poor man's (me) teapots...but not anymore it seems.

Most of my teapots are in the 100ml rnge. Are there any small pots, as is 30-60ml? Just curious.

Jul 29th, '19, 10:54

by titireef » Jul 29th, '19, 10:54

oolongfan wrote: The last one.

Shape/Name: Xi Shi - small
Artist: Chen Bao Yi
Capacity: 130 ml
Spout: 7 holes
Tea Pairings: Lightly oxidized or lightly roasted 'green style' Oolongs, Da Wu Ye Fenhuang, Ba Xian 8 Immortals Dan Cong. Diamond Grade green style TGY

SM xi shi sm int.jpg
SM small xi shi bottom.jpg
SM xi shi small.jpg
Hi,
I love jianshui pottery, i have one small teapot for Yancha and a clay gaiwan for Sheng pu er.

Great pottery adds texture and improves flavor .

I was wondering if anyone can knows something about the purple green blueish ''stains'' that we can see on the bottom of your brown teapots. I have the same thing in my dragon egg teapot, and it seems to not change but only got there after brewing with it .
Thanks

Aug 1st, '19, 02:50

by Spanky » Aug 1st, '19, 02:50

Can you please show us a picture? :?:

+ Post Reply