What to offer guests from Yilan and Hualien

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 24th, '19, 17:10

What to offer guests from Yilan and Hualien

by 1000Gaiwans1Lid » Aug 24th, '19, 17:10

Hello, new to this wonderful forum. I was wondering if could get some suggestions as to what teas I could offer to guests from Yilan or Hualien. Something that would be familiar to them and be of excellent quality. Something that they could reminisce and feel nostalgic with the first nose or sip. I do not plan to mention the source of the tea but to just casually offer it after dinner.

I’m guessing from the geographic locations, lishan/dayuling would be in the rough area. Would that be an appropriate choice for guests from Yilan and Hualien?

Aug 27th, '19, 09:53

Re: What to offer guests from Yilan and Hualien

by FBee » Aug 27th, '19, 09:53

1000Gaiwans1Lid wrote: Hello, new to this wonderful forum. I was wondering if could get some suggestions as to what teas I could offer to guests from Yilan or Hualien. Something that would be familiar to them and be of excellent quality. Something that they could reminisce and feel nostalgic with the first nose or sip. I do not plan to mention the source of the tea but to just casually offer it after dinner.

I’m guessing from the geographic locations, lishan/dayuling would be in the rough area. Would that be an appropriate choice for guests from Yilan and Hualien?
You can almost not access Lishan or Dayuling coming from the East ;)

Taiwanese people drink as many and varied teas as they produce, really depends more on the age of the guests. Nostalgia inducing would probably be old style teas like Dongding or Tieguanyin.

Local low grade tea with sugar on ice is another taste anyone in Taiwan remembers from childhood.

Aug 27th, '19, 22:16

by 1000Gaiwans1Lid » Aug 27th, '19, 22:16

FBee wrote:
1000Gaiwans1Lid wrote: Hello, new to this wonderful forum. I was wondering if could get some suggestions as to what teas I could offer to guests from Yilan or Hualien. Something that would be familiar to them and be of excellent quality. Something that they could reminisce and feel nostalgic with the first nose or sip. I do not plan to mention the source of the tea but to just casually offer it after dinner.

You can almost not access Lishan or Dayuling coming from the East ;)

Taiwanese people drink as many and varied teas as they produce, really depends more on the age of the guests. Nostalgia inducing would probably be old style teas like Dongding or Tieguanyin.

Local low grade tea with sugar on ice is another taste anyone in Taiwan remembers from childhood.
I would not have guessed that! Thank goodness I check with you guys first and made a fool of myself. I’ll check out some Dongding TGY...I think I just know where to look. Thanks for the pointers

Sep 8th, '19, 22:32

by yiming.chang » Sep 8th, '19, 22:32

So,,,
Yilan makes a lot of pouchuang, very slightly oxidised
Hualien makes a lot of black tea(so called mixiang or honey black) now

In my humble opinion,
if they were already tea drinkers, you can offer them high quality Darjeelin 1st flush and 2nd flush. 1st flush kind similar to Pouchang. 2nd flush is high quality black tea.

these teas will make them very surprised to compare the difference between these teas and their tea. The most interesting thing is to taste new tea and compare with former tea drinking experience.

Sep 15th, '19, 13:32

by 1000Gaiwans1Lid » Sep 15th, '19, 13:32

yiming.chang wrote: So,,,
Yilan makes a lot of pouchuang, very slightly oxidised
Hualien makes a lot of black tea(so called mixiang or honey black) now

In my humble opinion,
if they were already tea drinkers, you can offer them high quality Darjeelin 1st flush and 2nd flush. 1st flush kind similar to Pouchang. 2nd flush is high quality black tea.

these teas will make them very surprised to compare the difference between these teas and their tea. The most interesting thing is to taste new tea and compare with former tea drinking experience.
Thanks for the pointers! My chinese is not that good is darjeelin dayuling? The other one is baozhong?

Sep 16th, '19, 21:28

by FBee » Sep 16th, '19, 21:28

1000Gaiwans1Lid wrote: Thanks for the pointers! My chinese is not that good is darjeelin dayuling? The other one is baozhong?
Darjeeling is one kind of black tea from India.

Dayuling is a very expensive oolong tea from Taiwan.

Baozhong is a lightly oxidised oolong also from Taiwan.

Sep 17th, '19, 07:59

by Benheld » Sep 17th, '19, 07:59

FBee wrote:
1000Gaiwans1Lid wrote: Thanks for the pointers! My chinese is not that good is darjeelin dayuling? The other one is baozhong?

What is your suggestion then? Would you like to suggest to try India "Darjeeling"? Is this one cost effective?

Jan 14th, '20, 03:53

by dayulingteaa » Jan 14th, '20, 03:53

Benheld wrote:
FBee wrote:

What is your suggestion then? Would you like to suggest to try India "Darjeeling"? Is this one cost effective?

about `10,000ntd

+ Post Reply