Fish Odor

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 20th, '19, 08:45

Fish Odor

by thommes » Nov 20th, '19, 08:45

So I've been reading articles and watching videos on pu-erh. I've been ordering and tasting Shu Pu-erh. From what I've read a pu-erh with a fishy smell has gone bad. Sometimes after a steep I get an odor of what I would say is leather. After another steep, it might smell more of like the ocean? So I'm asking when they say a pu-erh that smells like fish has gone bad, are they talking abou before steeping? after steeping? in the cup? and will it be extremely slap in the face I'm drinking a fish type smell?

Thanks!

Nov 20th, '19, 21:27

Re: Fish Odor

by mr mopu » Nov 20th, '19, 21:27

thommes wrote: So I've been reading articles and watching videos on pu-erh. I've been ordering and tasting Shu Pu-erh. From what I've read a pu-erh with a fishy smell has gone bad. Sometimes after a steep I get an odor of what I would say is leather. After another steep, it might smell more of like the ocean? So I'm asking when they say a pu-erh that smells like fish has gone bad, are they talking abou before steeping? after steeping? in the cup? and will it be extremely slap in the face I'm drinking a fish type smell?

Thanks!
Not so much gone bad but sometimes left over aroma from the fermentation process. DaYi holds their stuff for 6 months to allow this to air out. Is it a brand you want to ask about on here? May be able to help a bit if I know a bit more about it.

Feb 4th, '20, 12:33

Re: Fish Odor

by BenHK » Feb 4th, '20, 12:33

bad keeping of PuErh tea will result in strange smells
don't drink

+ Post Reply