Aug 9th, '19, 13:56

Does Tokoname clay absorb the flavor of the teas?

by Haruo_ » Aug 9th, '19, 13:56

HI! I'm completely new in this forums.

I have a lovely tokoname kyusu, and I use it for greens, whites, and 'light' oolong teas.

I was searching about kyusu teapots and I found something that told that tokoname clay absorbs flavors just like Yixing clay, but my kyusu it's perfectly smooth on the inside, no sign of pores inside of it.

Anyway, I have never felt that the teapot left a special taste in the tea brewed on it )
I wonder if it's true, or just a myth? :?:

Mar 26th, '20, 14:54

Re: Does Tokoname clay absorb the flavor of the teas?

by dancingLeaves » Mar 26th, '20, 14:54

Dear Haruo,
that´s a good question! But before I try to give the attempt of an asnwer, let me ask you, what exactly do you understand/mean when talking about "absorbtion".
Are you referring to the change of the taste of the tea that´s actually brewed (pot has an influence on tea), or more to the influence that brewing tea has on the pot?

You say, that the kyusu´s inside is smooth: is it glazed or unglazed? Fired tokoname clay is usually less porous, then most of yixing clays - can you see "pores" in yixing clay? ^^

Greetings!

PS: Just because of interest: is your tokoname kyusu reduction-fired (black/brownish) or oxidation fired (red)?
Haruo_ wrote: HI! I'm completely new in this forums.

I have a lovely tokoname kyusu, and I use it for greens, whites, and 'light' oolong teas.

I was searching about kyusu teapots and I found something that told that tokoname clay absorbs flavors just like Yixing clay, but my kyusu it's perfectly smooth on the inside, no sign of pores inside of it.

Anyway, I have never felt that the teapot left a special taste in the tea brewed on it )
I wonder if it's true, or just a myth? :?:

+ Post Reply