Apr 14th, '20, 18:23

what is the difference between these two teapots?

by strnad » Apr 14th, '20, 18:23

Good evening,

I would like to ask what is the difference between these two types of teapots:

https://www.palaisdesthes.com/en/sekite ... ecimal=202

and

https://www.palaisdesthes.com/en/itome- ... qu-1l.html

Is there any difference in them from the point of view of usage or the type of the tea to be used with them? I am particulary curious about the fist one, because usually they are much more expensive than the second type, despite their volume is usually smaller. I have the second type and I am very satisfied, but starting to dig little deeper and becoming curious.

Also, is there any special reason to use the Kyusu teapot? Is there any difference from those two listed above? I can only imagine, that Kyusu is for the one person and maybe the tea is different as it is a clay and not cast iron?

Thank you very much for your help.

Strnad

Apr 15th, '20, 22:51

Re: what is the difference between these two teapots?

by umijoshi » Apr 15th, '20, 22:51

strnad wrote: Good evening,

I would like to ask what is the difference between these two types of teapots:

https://www.palaisdesthes.com/en/sekite ... ecimal=202

and

https://www.palaisdesthes.com/en/itome- ... qu-1l.html

Is there any difference in them from the point of view of usage or the type of the tea to be used with them? I am particulary curious about the fist one, because usually they are much more expensive than the second type, despite their volume is usually smaller. I have the second type and I am very satisfied, but starting to dig little deeper and becoming curious.

Also, is there any special reason to use the Kyusu teapot? Is there any difference from those two listed above? I can only imagine, that Kyusu is for the one person and maybe the tea is different as it is a clay and not cast iron?

Thank you very much for your help.

Strnad
I believe the difference in price boils down to the source and size. The cheaper one is smaller, 350ml is not an insignificant difference in my opinion. The cheaper one also doesn't state where it's made or who it's made by. Those pieces of information are very important to some people. It says Japanese teapot -- I don't think that necessarily means made in Japan, somehow I am skeptical that it is.

I don't know anything about the maker WAZUQU other than they're from Yamagata, Japan.

If you were to be brewing up a really expensive tea, you might find that using a smaller teapot makes more sense. You probably wouldn't make a huge amount of it at once. In that regard having smaller teapots is beneficial. Alternatively you can just put less water in large teapot... but aesthetically maybe it doesn't look as good. If I brew up a good sencha or gyokuro, a 30ml teapot could be split into 2 little cups. It wouldn't be practical to use a 1L teapot to brew 30ml of tea.

The iron flavor wont come out of those cast iron teapots you're buying, they are glazed with enamel so they're pretty much inert. They do keep your tea hot for a long time though. I have one that can hold about 1L that I got as a gift. I use it when I have more than 5 people I need to make tea for.

Clay does give a flavor, it does change the tea. It's a whole crazy world to get into.

Apr 16th, '20, 17:22

Re: what is the difference between these two teapots?

by strnad » Apr 16th, '20, 17:22

Good evening umijoshi,

thank you very much for your explanation.

I would like to ask one more question about those first two ones.

Does the shape of the teaware effect something or is it just a design thing and from the tea point of view it does not matter?

Also, I would like to thank you for the insight about the Kyusu teapot. It might seem to you as a barbarism, but what I do is that with my wife is that we usually make our teapot full of green ofr white tea, that makes 0,8 litre and we just drink it in two using small cups. I love it.

However, that was actually the reason why I was looking into some smaller kettle like Kyusu type.

Thank you again for your help.

Strnad

+ Post Reply