Japanese Greens and Headaches

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 28th, '10, 21:38

Re: Japanese Greens and Headaches

by Ed » Apr 28th, '10, 21:38

That's odd because caffeine is an active ingredient in some headache medicines (and other pain relievers) along with aspirin or acetaminophen, etc. Who knows, though, I'm sure caffeine can effect some people differently. It just makes me bounce off the walls if I have too much.

May 16th, '10, 15:03

by Rainy-Day » May 16th, '10, 15:03

I, in fact, use japanese greens as medicine *against* headaches. Or, at least, as a part of medicine.. My rules for headaches are: 1. a lot of water (a glass or 1.5 glass every 2 hours) 2. no food at all [*] 3. glass of sencha every few hours and 4. a few large leaves of lettuce

[*] except for [4]

[Edit:] Oh, and I can't stand headache medicines like tylenol or excedrin. They seem to just switch one headache for a different type of headache.

May 18th, '10, 01:00

by Bubba_tea » May 18th, '10, 01:00

Huh... catechins... I'll have to look into that. I actually get nystagmus or vertigo with a couple of greens I've tried so I've shied away from them. And I drink red wine, cheap and expensive tequila, single malt, chocolate, beer, chips, blah blah - and nothing else gives me the same problem!

Mar 6th, '20, 02:00

by mutroke » Mar 6th, '20, 02:00

I also had some "headaches" from a Japanese sencha ( 13 $ ), at first i thought it's from the high theanine content, as it was quite a strong feeling , but after 2 weeks i built the tolerance so that "pressure" was less disturbing. Some people report having headaches from taking L-theanine supplements, i don't think it's the pesticides (i hope), since we get plenty of those from the food we eat...maybe it's just the chemical balance in those "lower grade" bigger/stronger/harder leaves containing some elements in different proportions. :mrgreen:

Mar 6th, '20, 12:46

by Bubba_tea » Mar 6th, '20, 12:46

mutroke wrote: I also had some "headaches" from a Japanese sencha ( 13 $ ), at first i thought it's from the high theanine content, as it was quite a strong feeling , but after 2 weeks i built the tolerance so that "pressure" was less disturbing. Some people report having headaches from taking L-theanine supplements, i don't think it's the pesticides (i hope), since we get plenty of those from the food we eat...maybe it's just the chemical balance in those "lower grade" bigger/stronger/harder leaves containing some elements in different proportions. :mrgreen:
Interesting - guess I could get some theanine supplements and test it out for sure... but I figured the nystagmus is a warning sign to drink other tea! :D

Mar 7th, '20, 06:05

by mutroke » Mar 7th, '20, 06:05

Bubba_tea wrote:
mutroke wrote: I also had some "headaches" from a Japanese sencha ( 13 $ ), at first i thought it's from the high theanine content, as it was quite a strong feeling , but after 2 weeks i built the tolerance so that "pressure" was less disturbing. Some people report having headaches from taking L-theanine supplements, i don't think it's the pesticides (i hope), since we get plenty of those from the food we eat...maybe it's just the chemical balance in those "lower grade" bigger/stronger/harder leaves containing some elements in different proportions. :mrgreen:
Interesting - guess I could get some theanine supplements and test it out for sure... but I figured the nystagmus is a warning sign to drink other tea! :D
HAHA, would be a fun test with the supplements, if higher theanine is the cause for the headaches , then it means that is a great bargain tea and could use less leaf :mrgreen:

Apr 16th, '20, 17:25

by strnad » Apr 16th, '20, 17:25

Good evening AdamMY,

if I can add my two cents, I would say that your headache may be caused by the dehydratation. For example whey I drink a green or white tea, I need to go to the toilet quite often afterwards and I need to drink plenty of water. If I do not, I have also some kind of a headache, like I did not sleep enough.

Hope that helps.

Strnad

+ Post Reply