Bad Anji Bai Cha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 12th, '20, 13:18

Bad Anji Bai Cha?

by nathanlovestrees » May 12th, '20, 13:18

Hello all!

Recently I purchased some 2020 Anji Bai Cha. I've never had this before so I was excited to try it. However, something about the way the leaves looked seemed off to me, both dry and brewed. The taste was at first subtle and quite pleasant, but then it grew weirder after subsequent infusions (I was using a gaiwan). Upon inspection, the leaves were quite brown in spots, with some blackness on the ends. I thought that maybe I had done something wrong and that perhaps they oxidized while I was brewing. I tried again, this time grandpa style to keep the leaves submerged. Same results.

My question is this: did I get a bad batch of tea? Did something happen during processing? Or is this normal for this tea? As I said, I've never had this kind before and am not sure what is normal.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kAoJ2xkPnUG7ocH2A

May 15th, '20, 18:24

Re: Bad Anji Bai Cha?

by teaformeplease » May 15th, '20, 18:24

These don't quite look like a true Anji Bai Cha to me. The leaves are usually very pale with the stem showing as a darker green. I'll attach a picture to show what I mean.

May 20th, '20, 09:53

Re: Bad Anji Bai Cha?

by Teasenz » May 20th, '20, 09:53

teaformeplease wrote: These don't quite look like a true Anji Bai Cha to me. The leaves are usually very pale with the stem showing as a darker green. I'll attach a picture to show what I mean.
Totally agree, definitely not Anjibai. Even for green tea in general, color of the wet leaves look off as well. It looks a bit oxidized for green tea.
Loving the stories behind every leaf.

+ Post Reply