Squidy Ripe Puer that I enjoy. (I know this topic probably be discuss to death)

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 7th, '20, 07:38

Squidy Ripe Puer that I enjoy. (I know this topic probably be discuss to death)

by Sandi » Jul 7th, '20, 07:38

Hi there,
I just started my journey into Gong Fu style Chinese tea. Currently, I have a cake of ripe puer that I got from Lazada. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it.

As my first cake of ripe, naturally, I believe that I probably will be paying tuition fees. Although it has a squid flavor, it is not off-putting to me, I always enjoy it all the way to its woody sweet end.

I usually do 2 washes of this tea. The first few steeps always make me yawn. But today's session I think I add a bit too much, I am surprised to find a cooling sensation throughout the session. And the taste took a surprising turn with a herby and metallic kind of flavor.

Now my dilemma is this: Should I get another cake of this? What about the squid flavor (not fishy)? I dun mind it as much but will it be okay down the road, health wise. :D

Jul 8th, '20, 17:46

Re: Squidy Ripe Puer that I enjoy. (I know this topic probably be discuss to death)

by mr mopu » Jul 8th, '20, 17:46

Sandi wrote: Hi there,
I just started my journey into Gong Fu style Chinese tea. Currently, I have a cake of ripe puer that I got from Lazada. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it.

As my first cake of ripe, naturally, I believe that I probably will be paying tuition fees. Although it has a squid flavor, it is not off-putting to me, I always enjoy it all the way to its woody sweet end.

I usually do 2 washes of this tea. The first few steeps always make me yawn. But today's session I think I add a bit too much, I am surprised to find a cooling sensation throughout the session. And the taste took a surprising turn with a herby and metallic kind of flavor.

Now my dilemma is this: Should I get another cake of this? What about the squid flavor (not fishy)? I dun mind it as much but will it be okay down the road, health wise. :D
I would suggest buying from a big factory with good sanitation practices or one of the smaller niche sellers that oversee their productions. Usually fishy or squid can sometimes mean fermentation gone wrong.

Jul 10th, '20, 04:13

Re: Squidy Ripe Puer that I enjoy. (I know this topic probably be discuss to death)

by Sandi » Jul 10th, '20, 04:13

[/quote]
I would suggest buying from a big factory with good sanitation practices or one of the smaller niche sellers that oversee their productions. Usually fishy or squid can sometimes mean fermentation gone wrong.

You are right. I will not get another cake but try something else. Sometimes the fear of missing out makes me do stupid things. haha
Thank you.

Jul 11th, '20, 19:19

by mr mopu » Jul 11th, '20, 19:19

Sandi wrote:

You are right. I will not get another cake but try something else. Sometimes the fear of missing out makes me do stupid things. haha
Thank you.
[/quote]
Oh no, just part of the learning curve. We all have been there.

Jul 13th, '20, 02:38

by Sandi » Jul 13th, '20, 02:38

Hi Mr Mopu,
I would like your advice on the following issues:
I dig out 2 cakes that have been kept for about 10 years ripe puer. Unfortunately, I find these pu to not have any character at all. It just have wet rag cloth & chinese herbs kinda flavor.
Even my squidy tea I enjoy more than these teas.

Should I throw them away?
Break them up and add in my squidy pu and just use it as a daily drinker?
break them up in a jar and maybe flavor it with other flowers?

Thank you in advance to Mr Mopu and anyone who could also contribute to my helplessness.
Sandi

Aug 3rd, '20, 22:04

by mr mopu » Aug 3rd, '20, 22:04

Sandi wrote:
Hi Mr Mopu,
I would like your advice on the following issues:
I dig out 2 cakes that have been kept for about 10 years ripe puer. Unfortunately, I find these pu to not have any character at all. It just have wet rag cloth & chinese herbs kinda flavor.
Even my squidy tea I enjoy more than these teas.

Should I throw them away?
Break them up and add in my squidy pu and just use it as a daily drinker?
break them up in a jar and maybe flavor it with other flowers?

Thank you in advance to Mr Mopu and anyone who could also contribute to my helplessness.
Sandi
I would break them up a bit and air them and give them another shot. Some fresh air and a touch of humidity may bring them around.

Aug 14th, '20, 08:22

by Sandi » Aug 14th, '20, 08:22

I would break them up a bit and air them and give them another shot. Some fresh air and a touch of humidity may bring them around.
Thank you, I will definitely try it.

+ Post Reply