Mar 30th, '19, 14:23

How to tell if red pot has painted or raw clay surface?

by bencuri » Mar 30th, '19, 14:23

I would like to buy a red yixing tea pot. I found some nice ones on Aliexpress. I don't know how they make these pots red, and I fear that I buy one that was actually painted red on its whole surface, and during use the paint will dissolve into the tea making it poisonous. Keeping up with safety standards in Chineese production is not always guaranteed in certain factories. I guess if the pot is raw clay on the surface I don't need to worry about this hazard. But how can I tell whether the color of the pot comes from painting or not?

Apr 3rd, '19, 14:42
Mod/Admin

Re: How to tell if red pot has painted or raw clay surface?

by AndrewGC » Apr 3rd, '19, 14:42

Hey bencuri -

Great question! We'd suggest looking for a source you can trust where you know the Clay pots are true yixing and have not been altered or coated. Have you checked out ours at Adagio? The price is pretty hard to beat! https://www.adagio.com/teaware/yixing.html

They're all completely unglazed or painted! Whats your favorite style?
bencuri wrote: I would like to buy a red yixing tea pot. I found some nice ones on Aliexpress. I don't know how they make these pots red, and I fear that I buy one that was actually painted red on its whole surface, and during use the paint will dissolve into the tea making it poisonous. Keeping up with safety standards in Chineese production is not always guaranteed in certain factories. I guess if the pot is raw clay on the surface I don't need to worry about this hazard. But how can I tell whether the color of the pot comes from painting or not?

Apr 7th, '19, 15:08

by imkvn » Apr 7th, '19, 15:08

Usually the tea pots from alliexpress are generally slip cast molds. The clay is pushed through a mold and pulled out. The clay itself is different usually a bit more uniform dyes waxes are used for the shine. You probably will not die from it.

Is it comparable to an expensive pot probably not. An expensive pot will only give you piece of mind, and probably 2%-5% of a smoothing out affect on certain teas if brewed correctly in them. Then the artist/brand.

Drinking tea is more about the tea. If you want an ok pot look on the forum. You'll have piece of mind it has some type of legitimacy. Bare in mind the cost might start from 100-150.

Apr 8th, '19, 06:41

by Teasenz » Apr 8th, '19, 06:41

bencuri wrote: I would like to buy a red yixing teapot. I found some nice ones on Aliexpress.
It's hard to find a real Yixing teapot on Aliexpress, because platform is soo price focused.

Aug 20th, '20, 00:29

by modestogiordano » Aug 20th, '20, 00:29

bencuri wrote: I would like to buy a red yixing tea pot. I found some nice ones on Aliexpress. I don't know how they make these pots red, and I fear that I buy one that was actually painted red on its whole surface, and during use the paint will dissolve into the tea making it poisonous. Keeping up with safety standards in Chineese production is not always guaranteed in certain factories. I guess if the pot is raw clay on the surface I don't need to worry about this hazard. But how can I tell whether the color of the pot comes from painting or not?
I think that you are taking this too serious
it's not gonna poison or do something bad to your health, tea culture of China has been existed for thousands of years. They always focus on the quality of it so they will have the way to prevent anything such as the toxic like you have just said

Aug 21st, '20, 14:27

by TuoChaTea » Aug 21st, '20, 14:27

modestogiordano wrote: I think that you are taking this too serious
it's not gonna poison or do something bad to your health, tea culture of China has been existed for thousands of years. They always focus on the quality of it so they will have the way to prevent anything such as the toxic like you have just said
“ They always focus on the quality of it” - hahaha. Aliexpress is just business with many shops selling tea without being into tea.

Do you realize people sold fake babymilk in China which killed babies? It is very naive to expect healthy teapot from unknown sources on Aliexpress. You may be lucky but also you may be very unlucky.

Aug 24th, '20, 07:03

by FBee » Aug 24th, '20, 07:03

nowadays, all the potters also sell their ware on aliexpress or taobao, good quality and bad quality, it's China's Amazon, why wouldn't they sell there as well?

Price focussed? Of course. People make a living with it, earning money from it is the main, if only reason to do it :roll:

Lastly, don't be fooled into thinking that Western facing shops source from totally different places, what you see in their shops, you might sometimes also see on Taobao.

Aug 26th, '20, 15:56

by Muskandar » Aug 26th, '20, 15:56

I feel there is a certain measure of concern that is warranted when looking for a yixing.
The fact that fakes exist is reason enough to be concerned. If anyone has reason to make fakes and hide that fact, there are potentially other things that are being hid as well.
I’m fairly new to this hobby, and I’ve noticed there is a steep learning curve. For me it isn’t possible to touch, and feel, and hear the sound a real yixing makes. I had to rely on others suggestions to get started.

Take a look at www.mudandleaves.com
www.chawanshop.com, www.yunnansourcing.com
From what I have read, these places a reliable source to start looking.
Don’t start out with a super expensive pot, expect to pay at least 100 usd.

Aug 27th, '20, 02:43

by bagua7 » Aug 27th, '20, 02:43

I just had a quick look and this one looks OK to me, a decent modern pot.

https://bit.ly/2QucyR6

Aug 28th, '20, 05:19

by Lyuluck » Aug 28th, '20, 05:19

3 characteristics of fake Yixing pot

The body of the fake pot is reddish and unusually bright.

The sound made when the lid and the body of the pot hit are particularly clear and loud.

The body of the kettle feels particularly smooth and delicate, and shiny.

+ Post Reply