Mar 26th, '19, 12:15

100% glass kettle w/ electric base—no contact with metal

by TeaRelax » Mar 26th, '19, 12:15

I'm trying to find a small electric kettle, but I want to 'take metal out of the equation'—I just want water to boil in contact with glass.

The electric kettle I'm looking for is:
  • Not too big (single servings)
  • Sturdy/not fragile
  • Quality glass (German/Schott, etc.)
  • No contact with heating element (water only in contact with glass)
Any suggestions?

Feb 28th, '21, 08:22

Re: 100% glass kettle w/ electric base—no contact with metal

by Jerry9997 » Feb 28th, '21, 08:22

TeaRelax wrote: I'm trying to find a small electric kettle, but I want to 'take metal out of the equation'—I just want water to boil in contact with glass.

The electric kettle I'm looking for is:
  • Not too big (single servings)
  • Sturdy/not fragile
  • Quality glass (German/Schott, etc.)
  • No contact with heating element (water only in contact with glass)
Any suggestions?
I would rather suggest you to use stove-top kettle, I think the taste is better from it and there are no sediments. I have never seen electric kettle with non steel bottom. I use boiling glass or Yixing teapot for this. And you will also have more traditional feeling.

Mar 5th, '21, 18:06

Re: 100% glass kettle w/ electric base—no contact with metal

by teagold » Mar 5th, '21, 18:06

Unfortunately from what I've seen the electric kettles with glass carafes have either metal or high temperature resistant plastic on the inside usually at the base for the heating element. Because of the electric heating process there needs to be a component inside that isn't glass in order to conduct the heat. This is actually true of all electric kettles. Like the previous reply, stovetop is the only way to have glass and no other material touching the water (because the heating element is completely outside).

+ Post Reply