Dec 20th, '21, 07:01

Dragon blood

by The Last Teabender » Dec 20th, '21, 07:01

I found a teapot which looks stunning, but which I doubt is anywhere near handmade. However, I wonder what you think about the type of clay, and (if you approve of it) whether you know anywhere that sells high-quality handmade teapots made from such clay.
zisha teapot oriental beauty.jpeg

Dec 23rd, '21, 12:39

Re: Dragon blood

by Xyldor » Dec 23rd, '21, 12:39

The Last Teabender wrote: I found a teapot which looks stunning, but which I doubt is anywhere near handmade. However, I wonder what you think about the type of clay, and (if you approve of it) whether you know anywhere that sells high-quality handmade teapots made from such clay.

zisha teapot oriental beauty.jpeg
Your pot is described as ZiSha (literaly purple sand) and judging from the colour it quite obviously is not, so I would take the rest of the description with a pinch of salt. It may or may not have been manufactured in YiXing. Having said that, it looks like a well designed teapot, and is very pretty. It is difficult to see on a photo whether the clay is the very sandy, porous clay used to make the best teapots, but really there is only a marginal difference between a Sha teapot and one made from other clays. The main advantage of the sandy clay is that it is a better thermal insulator, however the shape of the pot and thickness of the walls can have more influence on the thermal properties than the type of clay.
Whether it is made in YiXing or not should not be a major consideration. There are plenty of low grade potters in YiXing as well as some extremely able potters. I have a couple of pots from YiXing. The one which is ZiSha is extremely badly designed. It is slip cast, including the handle, which means the handle is hollow and gets very hot when full of hot water/tea. It looks pretty but the problem with the handle relegates it to one of my least favorite pots. On the other hand, the HongSha pot (Red sand) is simply designed to a classic pattern quite similar to your pot and makes wonderful tea. I would think that your pot would be fine too.

Jan 4th, '22, 05:12

Re: Dragon blood

by Xyldor » Jan 4th, '22, 05:12

I found this teapot which is made from dragon blood and is handmade.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000552673405.html

+ Post Reply