The Maineiac has arrived

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Apr 13th, '22, 09:16

The Maineiac has arrived

by rninl8@maine.rr.com » Apr 13th, '22, 09:16

As you may have guessed, I like tea.

I try to make something like an English Breakfast, but with quality teas. Last year it was a blend of an expensive (but bland) Ceylon called Colonial Mornings. Then came another Ceylon called Amba Thieves. Then a Darjeeling and an Assam.

This year is driving me nuts.

I paid a lot more for the same Assam, and it's below the quality level I use in my tea.. The Amba Thieves was also more expensive, and not as good.

I have bought about a dozen teas, and the one that's any good is the Amba, and that's marginal. I have some Darjeeling coming from Wha-Cha, but the USPS has been unable to move it from NY to Maine, it's been over 2 weeks.

I need to start sampling Ceylons, but I want to get the Darjeeling taken care of first. What I have now is a Darjeeling from Adagio, of moderate quality. It has some fruitiness, an appropriate amount of body, and a bit too much acidity that works well in a blend. Of course they aren't selling it this year.

So as you may also have guess, I need help.

When I was in college, in the early 1970s, was when I started drinking tea. I noticed smoking pot made you dehydrated, lowered your blood sugar, and often made you lethargic. A cup of nice tea fixed all that.

Apr 13th, '22, 11:05

Re: The Maineiac has arrived

by Bridgette » Apr 13th, '22, 11:05

rninl8@maine.rr.com wrote: As you may have guessed, I like tea.

I try to make something like an English Breakfast, but with quality teas. Last year it was a blend of an expensive (but bland) Ceylon called Colonial Mornings. Then came another Ceylon called Amba Thieves. Then a Darjeeling and an Assam.

This year is driving me nuts.

I paid a lot more for the same Assam, and it's below the quality level I use in my tea.. The Amba Thieves was also more expensive, and not as good.

I have bought about a dozen teas, and the one that's any good is the Amba, and that's marginal. I have some Darjeeling coming from Wha-Cha, but the USPS has been unable to move it from NY to Maine, it's been over 2 weeks.

I need to start sampling Ceylons, but I want to get the Darjeeling taken care of first. What I have now is a Darjeeling from Adagio, of moderate quality. It has some fruitiness, an appropriate amount of body, and a bit too much acidity that works well in a blend. Of course they aren't selling it this year.

So as you may also have guess, I need help.

When I was in college, in the early 1970s, was when I started drinking tea. I noticed smoking pot made you dehydrated, lowered your blood sugar, and often made you lethargic. A cup of nice tea fixed all that.
Hey there! Welcome to TeaChat- thank you for sharing your story with us! Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.
Adagio Online Community Manager

Apr 14th, '22, 12:59

by rninl8@maine.rr.com » Apr 14th, '22, 12:59

It took 17 days, but the USPS finally got my tea out of their port facility.

It's funny, one of your recent posters was unkind to P&G Tips. I drank that for years, it's nothing special, but it also avoids most of the sins of cheap tea. Perhaps the best builders tea..

I'm pretty straightforward, I just wanted something better, and I didn't want massively expensive.

Last year things went my way. The last thing I am is a tea expert, but I got lucky, and I was pleased with the results. A bit of fruitiness, a mix of flavors that were pleasing. Nice enough that I use a scant teaspoon for a 16 oz pot of tea, with a bit of milk.

I'm 70, I make a big cup of tea, get on my treadmill, and watch the news, walking at 1 mph for 40 minutes. Look out Boston Marathon, I'm gaining on ya.

I make green tea later in the day.

I'm willing to entertain guesses at this point.. Fruity is a plus, smoky is a minus. I've pretty much resigned myself to this becoming more expensive than I had hoped. I plan on buying roughly a half pound, and my limit for that is $60 -$80.

Apr 17th, '22, 04:02

by 12Tea » Apr 17th, '22, 04:02

rninl8@maine.rr.com wrote: It took 17 days, but the USPS finally got my tea out of their port facility.

It's funny, one of your recent posters was unkind to P&G Tips. I drank that for years, it's nothing special, but it also avoids most of the sins of cheap tea. Perhaps the best builders tea..

I'm pretty straightforward, I just wanted something better, and I didn't want massively expensive.

Last year things went my way. The last thing I am is a tea expert, but I got lucky, and I was pleased with the results. A bit of fruitiness, a mix of flavors that were pleasing. Nice enough that I use a scant teaspoon for a 16 oz pot of tea, with a bit of milk.

I'm 70, I make a big cup of tea, get on my treadmill, and watch the news, walking at 1 mph for 40 minutes. Look out Boston Marathon, I'm gaining on ya.

I make green tea later in the day.

I'm willing to entertain guesses at this point.. Fruity is a plus, smoky is a minus. I've pretty much resigned myself to this becoming more expensive than I had hoped. I plan on buying roughly a half pound, and my limit for that is $60 -$80.
It's hard to avoid higher prices this year I guess. Vendors pay much more to import the teas due to high shipping fees. In producing countries, it is possible that tea quality can be effected due to labor shortages, which is somewhat related to covid.

What's more important is that you don't buy more tea than you need. That's what I do too often...If you control the amount you buy, you'll save more even if you accept the higher prices this year. Let's hope prices get better next year!

Apr 17th, '22, 11:03

by rninl8@maine.rr.com » Apr 17th, '22, 11:03

12Tea wrote:
It's hard to avoid higher prices this year I guess. Vendors pay much more to import the teas due to high shipping fees. In producing countries, it is possible that tea quality can be effected due to labor shortages, which is somewhat related to covid.

What's more important is that you don't buy more tea than you need. That's what I do too often...If you control the amount you buy, you'll save more even if you accept the higher prices this year. Let's hope prices get better next year!
Too true, any suggestions?

Apr 22nd, '22, 09:56

by rninl8@maine.rr.com » Apr 22nd, '22, 09:56

I just ordered 3 100gr packets of Ceylons from Upton.

The USPS port facility has yet to let go of my darjeeling from Wha_cha. It's coming up on a month since I ordered it. I think I may avoid importing anything using the USPS in the future.

+ Post Reply