Black Gunpowder

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 8th, '22, 13:54

Black Gunpowder

by gaaah » Oct 8th, '22, 13:54

I've been a tea enthusiast for about 15 years. During that time I've been a kind of purist, avoiding added scents, fruits, spices and flowers.

Recently I've come across a very unusual find, marketed as "Black Gunpowder". This is currently offered by Mahamosa, but other retailers offer it as well. (I've sampled from those other retailers, and get the same flavor, so Mahamosa is not adding anything.)

It's a balled black tea in the form of standard green gunpowder, but with a completely different flavor profile. It lacks any smoke and has a base suggesting cinnamon/marzipan pastry. (Did I mention it was different?) It forms a fairly strong brew, from which I can get two steepings.

Given that it's so wildly different, find it hard to believe it's not flavored, but none of the advertising suggests that. Then again, I had the same suspicion of the first Dan Cong I ever tried.

Would some experienced tea connoisseur please chime in and confirm what this tea is, where it comes from, and whether it's flavored?