Jan 11th, '19, 14:59

Help Me Find Mystery Teaware for Birthday Gift?

by buurenaar » Jan 11th, '19, 14:59

I'm trying to match a strainer from a very special tea set for my boyfriend's birthday in July, and I've been trying to find this exact...thing. This belongs to a very specific, very obscure tea set, and the strainer may not be a strainer at all, especially since the entire thing was kinda hodge-podge.

The description for the tea set *says* that this piece is a strainer, but it also says that it's made of brass. I'm about 99% certain that it isn't brass (unless they plated and artifically aged it) and about 50% certain that it's either pewter or silver based off the oxidation patterns and texture. I'm leaning more toward pewter than silver just because I don't see any evidence of the rainbow-ish opalescent effect that tarnish often has on silver teaware. I mean, it could even be old steel, but I don't think so somehow. Steel tends to rust as it ages, even stainless.

I was hoping that you guys may be of some help, because I've already spent 60+ hours scouring the 'Net. One thing that makes me think that this may have been something like a porringer repurposed into a strainer is the hole pattern. All of the non-woven tea strainers I've looked at have patterned, deliberate hole patterns, but this one just looks almost like someone used a tool like an awl to pop holes into it.

I'm just hoping that someone may know something about this.

...Even if it's just to say, "This isn't real teaware, you fool!" :P

strainer2.jpg
Strainer Pic?
strainer2.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
strainer.PNG
Alternate Strainer Pic?

Dec 1st, '23, 03:05

Re: Help Me Find Mystery Teaware for Birthday Gift?

by baarsofia42 » Dec 1st, '23, 03:05

Seeking a unique tea strainer for a special set? The challenge lies in identifying the material—likely pewter or silver, not brass. The unconventional hole pattern raises questions about its origin, possibly repurposed from another item like a porringer. The absence of a deliberate tarnish effect suggests pewter over silver. Your dedication is commendable, and while I can't provide a definite answer, exploring antique or teaware forums may unearth valuable insights. Best of luck in your tea strainer quest! ☕🔍

Dec 4th, '23, 01:31

by Nantea » Dec 4th, '23, 01:31

I’ve seen similar antique tea strainers on eBay, but I couldn’t find an exact match with yours. You might want to try and browse them. Good luck in finding it! 😊

Dec 22nd, '23, 01:39

by Brewtime » Dec 22nd, '23, 01:39

Good luck on your tea strainer hunt! That's so thoughtful of you to try and match a piece from his special set. I'm impressed with all the research you've done so far. Don't give up - maybe try contacting some antique shops too in case they've come across something similar. Fingers crossed someone can help or you find the perfect replacement.

+ Post Reply