Maiko Tea, Horaido?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


User avatar
Mar 4th, '08, 05:35
Posts: 150
Joined: Mar 4th, '08
Location: Finland

Maiko Tea, Horaido?

by Ritva » Mar 4th, '08, 05:35

Has anyone shopped from Maiko Tea? What did you like about their teas and do you have recommendations? They seem to have some reasonably priced gyokuros and I was wondering if they are any good. What about tea shop Horaido? So far I've shopped from O-cha and Hibiki-an. I like to order directly from Japan, since there is no sense ordering japanese tea to Finland from USA-based companies.

User avatar
Mar 4th, '08, 11:57
Posts: 64
Joined: Jan 18th, '08
Location: Finland

by Photiou » Mar 4th, '08, 11:57

I have ordered couple of times from Maiko without any problems. I could recommend their 'shupping sencha' as it was quite good (If I remeber correctly).

I have also good experiences with Horaido. I have ordered some tea ware and tea from there. But if you do not like to send your cc-number by email, you should have a fax machine. From their selection I would recommed their Seiryu-sencha as it is very good for the price (and their unlined tetsubins too).

One more Japanese shop to add to your list is Kaburagien. I also recommend using a fax with them as their webshop is not secured with https.

And do not forget Ippodo. Also no problems with my orders from them - my current sencha pots are from their catalog.

User avatar
Mar 4th, '08, 12:46
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Mar 4th, '08, 12:46

It's the Finnish invasion of TeaChat! :lol:

Welcome!

I ordered some matcha from Maiko recently, but I haven't tried it yet. I paid for it securely via Paypal, in case that option is available to you in Finland.

User avatar
Mar 4th, '08, 15:30
Posts: 150
Joined: Mar 4th, '08
Location: Finland

by Ritva » Mar 4th, '08, 15:30

Oh yeah, we're coming to get you! :wink:

Photiou and Salsero, thanks a lot for recommendations! I hadn't noticed Kaburagien and Ippodo, must check them right away. Paypal is available here, it's been very useful when buying things from ebay.

[quote="Salsero"]It's the Finnish invasion of TeaChat! :lol:

User avatar
Mar 4th, '08, 18:17
Posts: 1636
Joined: Jan 11th, '07
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 4th, '08, 18:17

Perkele!

(Only Finnish word I know, thanks to Photiou. :) )

User avatar
Mar 5th, '08, 09:16
Posts: 150
Joined: Mar 4th, '08
Location: Finland

by Ritva » Mar 5th, '08, 09:16

You'll get quite far with that vocabulary...

User avatar
Mar 6th, '08, 17:40
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 4th, '08
Location: Colorado

by BonBon » Mar 6th, '08, 17:40

Photiou wrote:And do not forget Ippodo. Also no problems with my orders from them - my current sencha pots are from their catalog.


How is the quality of Ippodo? Their prices look a little steep, but is the quality worth it? Or am I better off going with O-Cha.com or another vendor?

User avatar
Mar 7th, '08, 05:11
Posts: 3368
Joined: Feb 8th, '08
Location: France

by olivierco » Mar 7th, '08, 05:11

BonBon wrote:How is the quality of Ippodo? Their prices look a little steep, but is the quality worth it? Or am I better off going with O-Cha.com or another vendor?


I have only tasted their houjicha and their top sencha so far (I have some matcha and gyokuro in my fridge that I will open soon). Nice leaves, no dust, clear taste, perhaps less intense than o-cha's, but o-cha's sencha is more steamed than ippodo...

User avatar
Mar 7th, '08, 14:46
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Mar 7th, '08, 14:46

olivierco wrote:
BonBon wrote:How is the quality of Ippodo? Their prices look a little steep, but is the quality worth it? Or am I better off going with O-Cha.com or another vendor?


I have only tasted their houjicha and their top sencha so far (I have some matcha and gyokuro in my fridge that I will open soon). Nice leaves, no dust, clear taste, perhaps less intense than o-cha's, but o-cha's sencha is more steamed than ippodo...


Both Maiko and Ippodo seem to be more traditional in their sencha offerings, another words, less steamed Asamushi cha style. Thus their leaf is particularly nice in appearance. O-Cha is much more "American" offering the more Fukamushi cha (deep steamed) or Chumushi cha (mid steamed). All have their merits. Most times, I seem to more crave a more steamed version.

Maiko and Ippodo can be pretty steep as far as shipping is concerned.

User avatar
Mar 8th, '08, 15:01
Posts: 150
Joined: Mar 4th, '08
Location: Finland

by Ritva » Mar 8th, '08, 15:01

Chip wrote:Maiko and Ippodo can be pretty steep as far as shipping is concerned.


Maiko offers EMS as the default shipping method but it's possible to choose regular airmail (which is what many other firms use) and that's not expensive.

User avatar
Mar 8th, '08, 15:16
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

by Chip » Mar 8th, '08, 15:16

Ritva wrote:
Chip wrote:Maiko and Ippodo can be pretty steep as far as shipping is concerned.


Maiko offers EMS as the default shipping method but it's possible to choose regular airmail (which is what many other firms use) and that's not expensive.


Choosing anything but EMS shipping with Maiko...they will not guarantee safe and secure arrival of your package. I am getting some teaware from them and the shipping has prevented me from finalizing the order.

User avatar
Mar 8th, '08, 17:14
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Mar 8th, '08, 17:14

Ritva wrote:...it's possible to choose regular airmail...
Thanks for the tip. I wish I had noticed when I ordered some cheap matcha from them, but I've made a note of it for the future.

User avatar
Mar 8th, '08, 19:23
Posts: 31
Joined: Mar 4th, '08
Location: Colorado

by BonBon » Mar 8th, '08, 19:23

Ah, thanks for the help. :)

+ Post Reply